X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know much about nilgai but I have killed one mature bull. I used a 300 win mag with 180 grain barnes. Im glad I had the knock down power. I think some people over hype how tough they are, but they are a tough animal. If it were me I would take a larger caliber. From what people have told me is they don't bleed much, the skin is thick and elastic like. Good shot placement is very important.

Comment

I built some 168 TTSX Barnes 30.06 loads for a friend. It folded up his nilgai with one shot. I don't know any significant details about shot placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
          I don't know much about nilgai but I have killed one mature bull. I used a 300 win mag with 180 grain barnes. Im glad I had the knock down power. I think some people over hype how tough they are, but they are a tough animal. If it were me I would take a larger caliber. From what people have told me is they don't bleed much, the skin is thick and elastic like. Good shot placement is very important.
          This is very true that they,don't bleed much , and do have strong adrenal systems,my last bull I shot on the Kennedy was hobbling around with a broken shoulder and I broke his neck with my 300 then put a 22mag final shot by the ear, he pumped blood out of the .22 hole for probably 2-3 minutes! They do get tougher after that first shot

Comment

I'm dying to go after one of these. Good luck on the hunt!

Comment

Who are you hunting with?

Comment

best eating animal in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
                  Who are you hunting with?

Kayote Barrera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've never hunted the blue bull so take my opinion for what it's worth...a cup of coffee

I feel a 308 will do the job but it's a minimum and as always great shot placement is key. That's really a stupid comment that we see repeated all to often. I don't care if you're shooting an 80 pound doe with a 300 anything mag, gut shoot her and it will be a long day.

As to the bullet choice, I think it's a good one and that bullet is say underrated for some reason. I saw a pile of them from a 7 and 300 mag recovered from an African hunt. Additionally, my dad shot a mature audad with a 7stw at 150 yards with a perfect shoulder pass through and a golf ball sized exit.

My point there is that 160 grain 7stw was going much faster at 150 yards then your 308 at the muzzle and still held together on a tough 300 ram.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't believe everything you here. Nilgai are tough, but not that tough. Some people will have you believe that you need a 375 H&H magnum to down these antelope. And some outfitters require a certain caliber, usually something like a 35 caliber and up. The nilgai I have shot in the past were killed with a 3006. I used 165 grain speer grand slams. The farthest nilgai I shot went 50 yards and keeled over. This year I hunted LRGV East Lake down in the Valley. It was a shotgun only hunt, with slugs, for deer and nilgai. Me and my son took two deer. But one of the other hunters shot a good size nilgai bull with a 12 gauge slug, one shot to knock it down and one to finish it. The bull dropped in its tracks. I know cause I went to go help the hunter get it out. You can kill nilgai with a 3030 if you can hit them. So don't believe all these BS'rs about you gotta have a cannon to kill nilgai. You don't. Shot placement is the key to a successful hunt. Your 308 will drop one, and if that is what you are comfortable shooting, then use it. Sorry for the long post, good luck on your nilgai hunt.

Comment

sure... 99% of the ranches and outfitters have established minimum calibers or bullet weights for no reason at all....

you can kill a nilgai with a 22 magnum if you hit it in the brain. For guided hunts with outfitters, shots are rarely under ideal conditions, and often at running animals. all this talk about critical, careful bullet placement is out the window when you start shooting at a bull on the run, or even a walk. you need to be prepared for the non ideal shot, not expect the perfect one.

Comment

I shot my bull with a 150 gr accubond in my 308. We topped a hill and caught him bedded down. He stood up immediately and was about to take off, and I had a fairly easy freehand shot at about 40 yards. He was standing straight on to me and I hit him near the bottom of the beard. His feet came out underneath him. The bullet was came no where near passing through, but it was enough to break the spine.

My brother shot one with a 7mm rem mag 160 grain sierra bullet in the base of the neck area. It hit the dirt and was kicking. Then it got up, and they still haven't seen it. So, moral to the story, you have to hit em good and even if they hit the ground, be ready for a follow up. Good luck.

Comment

I have decided to take the 7 mag. I am very comfortable with it it is just a bit longer barrel and heavier all around rifle so shooting out of a truck may be a bit more difficult. I would rather be safe than sorry. I am very confident in my shooting ability but **** happens lol. All in all I am extremely excited!

Comment

super jealous. let us know how it goes!! I've wanted to take one in south Texas for a long time and hope to do so really soon!

Comment

[QUOTE=ttaxidermy;13087024]Great bull.. Who do you hunt with? I have the Nilgai itch very bad again....[/QUOT

Several over the last 11 years. All adjacent to the Kennedy and King properties.

Comment

Working...
                                X