No announcement yet.

2017-2018 East Texas Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not trying to discourage you but mine usually peak at 5.5. I've had them loose inches going from 5.5 to 6.5. All depends on your area, genetics and if you supplement feed them. Some guys on here think a 130" 8 that is 4.5 will blow up to a 160" in two yrs. That is rarely the case in East Texas. It certainly wouldn't hurt to pass him and see what happens.

Comment

I was only able to hunt yesterday and got skunked. I pulled my card and I had mature bucks in the daylight the 3 days previous... about right!

I did have this guy show up this week. I have him on camera 5 days in a row. I have never seen him before. He has some funky crooked brows. Any guesses on his age and width?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        I was only able to hunt yesterday and got skunked. I pulled my card and I had mature bucks in the daylight the 3 days previous... about right!

I did have this guy show up this week. I have him on camera 5 days in a row. I have never seen him before. He has some funky crooked brows. Any guesses on his age and width?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
        Looks like a mature deer, 5-6 I'd guess. 15 inches or so wide, good mass on him. I would guess he might score 130-132. Nice east Tx buck

Comment

Time will tell if I just passed the deer of the year. Full draw and 23 yards and I just couldn't put the years on him. By the time i decided to cut the arrow loose it was too late.

Pretty sure same deer I passed last year on several occasions. He sure didn't put on the mass I wanted him to.

Still early and a couple much better prospects showed up this last week.

Nov 16.
          Last edited by Quackerbox; 10-15-2017, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Time will tell if I just passed the deer of the year. Full draw and 23 yards and I just couldn't put the years on him. By the time i decided to cut the arrow loose it was too late.

Pretty sure same deer I passed last year on several occasions. He sure didn't put on the mass I wanted him to.

Still early and a couple much better prospects showed up this last week.

Nov 16.
            Ouch. That’s a tough call. I’da shot him, but he’d also have been my biggest bow kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
              Ouch. That’s a tough call. I’da shot him, but he’d also have been my biggest bow kill.
              It was tough last year! Lol. The deer i saw this morning could have been his twin. He might be a hair taller and wider but not like I would have liked to see. There's a few older and heavier deer out there.

I Still got a wife and a 14 year old trying to connect with a bow kill also. Just need to keep grandpaw off him[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Wife has a decent buck hitting her stump feeder. Hopefully, she can make it happen soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                  Not trying to discourage you but mine usually peak at 5.5. I've had them loose inches going from 5.5 to 6.5. All depends on your area, genetics and if you supplement feed them. Some guys on here think a 130" 8 that is 4.5 will blow up to a 160" in two yrs. That is rarely the case in East Texas. It certainly wouldn't hurt to pass him and see what happens.

I just think it varies from deer to deer but the older they get the more potential that's revealed. Yes there will be mature deer 4 to 5, , 5 to 6, 6 to 7 that drop from the previous year, but most always that's for a reason like they rutted extremely hard, injury, any of a 100 more scenarios. I would tend to agree with your 8 point theory but you just never know. I'm hunting a deer now that was 125 at 4 and 135 at 5, mainframe 8, somewhat trashy brows. At 6 he blew up and at 7 he is now pushing the 70's with a 10 point frame and 6 extras. They are like fine wine, most get better with age

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                    I just think it varies from deer to deer but the older they get the more potential that's revealed. Yes there will be mature deer 4 to 5, , 5 to 6, 6 to 7 that drop from the previous year, but most always that's for a reason like they rutted extremely hard, injury, any of a 100 more scenarios. I would tend to agree with your 8 point theory but you just never know. I'm hunting a deer now that was 125 at 4 and 135 at 5, mainframe 8, somewhat trashy brows. At 6 he blew up and at 7 he is now pushing the 70's with a 10 point frame and 6 extras. They are like fine wine, most get better with age

Older bucks have a greater chance to add nontypical points that can really boost a score. I certainly agree it has to do with the individual deer (genetics and overall health). Hope you get him!

Comment

I'd say the front has arrived. It's cooler leaving at noon than it was when I went to the stand. Wish it would have had got here a day earlier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        I don’t know why. We’re all kind of that way though. Most of the guys on there are my best friends, even some family. BUT, we’re all collectively working to do a better job sharing this year. It’s awesome too because it turns out there are some nice bucks running around.
                        Guess you can never be to careful

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
                          Sharing prosperity brings more prosperity into your life, even sharing big bucks guys!

Big deer can bring out the true greed in people.

Sharing some times gets you leaseless after your new best friend finds out who the landowner of your little private honey hole is and offers more money than you were paying for it next season.

On leases I have seen people move in closer and closer to you to the point they scent up and ruin all the travel routes to your area making your spot useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_243 View Post

Wife has a decent buck hitting her stump feeder. Hopefully, she can make it happen soon.

How have your deer responded to this feeder versus just a corn pile? I've been looking at them pretty close.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
                              How have your deer responded to this feeder versus just a corn pile? I've been looking at them pretty close.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I see no difference in how they come to stump feeder vs hand corn. I have a few stump feeders and hand corn several places and I get just as many deer at both sets.

Comment

I hunt just outside Linden and the pigs have taken over.

Comment

Working...
                                X