No announcement yet.

Using .410 to hunt pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester makes a 5 pellet three inch buckshot load that I have patterned out of a .410 H&R and it does pretty good at 20 yards. I haven't shot anything with it though. Or slugs, if your gun is accurate with them.

Comment

I tried slugs in a 20 gauge for my kids when they were young. The slugs did not hit especially close to where I told them to, so you might want to launch a few at a big piece of cardboard to see where they go before you attack the pigs.

Comment

You will need a rifled 410 to shoot slugs worth a crap .. I know you want the noise but set up a tripod or something so you are shooting down and hunt them with a 22 . All noise does to them where I'm at is make them go nocturnal.

Comment

Sir, I explored this the year before last for entertainment and became an expert. I spent many thousands of dollars on 410’s and hundreds on different bullets. You need to know there are more cost effective options than a 410 done right.

All of the other specialty loads are junk, use what I write so you don’t waste time or money.

The 410 is as deadly as a 12 gauge. My biggest DRT 410 hog is 425lbs. Granted, I only hunt lone boars and most of my shots are 15-35 yards but I have mixed it up just to know.

The off the shelf slugs will explode, you must use Brenneke 3”. Every hog I shot was DRT with massive bleedout and will many times exit on a shield shot. The first one I dropped I frankly could not believe it.

Brenneke's Magnum .410 has a range of up to 35 yards and is the perfect cartridge for varmints and small game. It has a flat trajectory with an excellent function with al

The Federal Handgun 3” 5 shot triple aught to the neck will drop them DRT. The velocity listed is in a pistol. Its flying out of the full length barrel.

Shopping for the Personal Defense 410 Handgun - Learn more about the latest Personal Defense 410 Handgun and other hunting or shooting gear at Federal Ammunition.

You do not need a rifled slug, my mod and full choked barrels are as accurate as it needs to be, my longest kill was 75 yards with Brenneke. My longest buckshot kill was about 37 yards

This shotgun right here is what I settled on after spending thousands on Win 9410’s, Henry’s Lever 410, Doubles, and plenty more. The gun in the link is drilled and tapped for a rail

Mossberg: 500 Youth Deer Combo 410 Gauge Shotgun for sale at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.

I left a review.

Next best is literally the Moss 500 Special field full choked walmart special with wood stock

When it comes to pump-action shotguns, Mossberg and the 500 Series set the standard. Its short cycling time lets you identify and point to a new target quickly and efficiently. And its overall simplicity means higher durability at a lower cost. Without question, the 500 is the most versatile shotgun platform available on the market — no wonder that over 12 million have been sold

You really need that 3” chamber.

I did this so I would actually know the 410’s capability instead of hillbilly hearsay or naysay.

Every since the judge pistol, manufacturers have made good loads to stay tighter in that 45 barrel and in a full choke 410 they are a nightmare. 5 000 in a column, 1/2 of what a 3” 12 gauge carries and more velocity I think.

For yard work on little critters a win AA #8 holds tight. The 3” Rem Xtended range for hunting. The cheap exploding sluggers for yotes and such

By the way, I got plenty of home recipes for lead balls and even 41 caliber bullets from folk up north in those old shotgun states but the options I listed are the best.

Another thing, that one shotgun has an extra 20” barrel and this rear sight will slide right on making it one heck of a camp gun or home defense. You hit someone with that triple aught and they ain’t getting up.

All of that said, I personally would not use the Brenneke nor the buckshot with lack of back stop on a small property because the penetration is incredible. That Brenneke will sink into an oak tree at 100 yards.

Goodluck
          Last edited by Johnny44; 05-29-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
            Sir, I explored this the year before last for entertainment and became an expert. I spent many thousands of dollars on 410’s and hundreds on different bullets. You need to know there are more cost effective options than a 410 done right.

All of the other specialty loads are junk, use what I write so you don’t waste time or money.

The 410 is as deadly as a 12 gauge. My biggest DRT 410 hog is 425lbs. Granted, I only hunt lone boars and most of my shots are 15-35 yards but I have mixed it up just to know.

The off the shelf slugs will explode, you must use Brenneke 3”. Every hog I shot was DRT with massive bleedout and will many times exit on a shield shot. The first one I dropped I frankly could not believe it.

Brenneke's Magnum .410 has a range of up to 35 yards and is the perfect cartridge for varmints and small game. It has a flat trajectory with an excellent function with al

The Federal Handgun 3” 5 shot triple aught to the neck will drop them DRT. The velocity listed is in a pistol. Its flying out of the full length barrel.

Shopping for the Personal Defense 410 Handgun - Learn more about the latest Personal Defense 410 Handgun and other hunting or shooting gear at Federal Ammunition.

You do not need a rifled slug, my mod and full choked barrels are as accurate as it needs to be, my longest kill was 75 yards with Brenneke. My longest buckshot kill was about 37 yards

This shotgun right here is what I settled on after spending thousands on Win 9410’s, Henry’s Lever 410, Doubles, and plenty more. The gun in the link is drilled and tapped for a rail

Mossberg: 500 Youth Deer Combo 410 Gauge Shotgun for sale at Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore.

I left a review.

Next best is literally the Moss 500 Special field full choked walmart special with wood stock

When it comes to pump-action shotguns, Mossberg and the 500 Series set the standard. Its short cycling time lets you identify and point to a new target quickly and efficiently. And its overall simplicity means higher durability at a lower cost. Without question, the 500 is the most versatile shotgun platform available on the market — no wonder that over 12 million have been sold

You really need that 3” chamber.

I did this so I would actually know the 410’s capability instead of hillbilly hearsay or naysay.

Every since the judge pistol, manufacturers have made good loads to stay tighter in that 45 barrel and in a full choke 410 they are a nightmare. 5 000 in a column, 1/2 of what a 3” 12 gauge carries and more velocity I think.

For yard work on little critters a win AA #8 holds tight. The 3” Rem Xtended range for hunting. The cheap exploding sluggers for yotes and such

By the way, I got plenty of home recipes for lead balls and even 41 caliber bullets from folk up north in those old shotgun states but the options I listed are the best.

Another thing, that one shotgun has an extra 20” barrel and this rear sight will slide right on making it one heck of a camp gun or home defense. You hit someone with that triple aught and they ain’t getting up.

All of that said, I personally would not use the Brenneke nor the buckshot with lack of back stop on a small property because the penetration is incredible. That Brenneke will sink into an oak tree at 100 yards.

Goodluck
            Thank you.

My .410 is a Coast to Coast Model 267. Has a 3" Chamber. I'm using it because it's what I have.

I can get 6 of the Jaeger Pro panels for $360 to build a trap. So I'm undecided which route to go. Use what I have, buy another gun or build a trap

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              So you don’t want to shoot a rifle but you’ll launch a slug?
              I don't believe a .410 slug will fly 300 yds.
              .308 will go 3X that

Comment

I don’t know what the ricochet distance is for something like the hard Brenneke slug but many shotgun states have went to straight wall cartridges and such because of a study that showed a 12 gauge sabot has a ricochet distance farther than a 30-06.

It sounds like your agenda is pest control instead of “hunting”

Comment

Seems a trap best fits this scenario if you can’t use archery equipment. As much as you hunt pigs it wouldn’t hurt to have one around anyways

Comment

my first hog was about 150# boar ...brenneke slug did the trick at about 20 yrds complete pass through

Comment

I'd think that a 3" slug would do the trick. It is basically a 45 long colt round through a smooth bore.

Comment

No, its more like a lead thimble of 41 caliber except for the Brenneke.

Comment

Saw one on the north fence line, northern boundary.
                          Light wasn't quite bright enough to positively ID. I saw it's shadow on the trees. It started to head east. I dropped back to the east side of the hedgerow and headed north to try and cut it off. I never did see it again

The hedgerow runs north and south on the back 1/3 of the property. I was sitting at the southern end of it.

Comment

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 05-31-2019, 07:06 PM. Reason: Deleted. Wrong forum and thread

Comment

Working...
                            X