Nikon D80 or Canon 40D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon D80 or Canon 40D

I am looking to get a new camera for my Wife and I, well mainly me!! I don't know diddly about them, been trying to research the best I can, mainly coming up with save money on the body, spend money on the lens! Her Granddad has a D80, which I like, and I've been looking at the Canon online. I was going to see what yall would suggest. Thanks!

Well, those two cameras really aren't in the same class.

The Nikon equivilant to the 40D would be the D300...which are both mid-range cameras with better auto focus motors, faster shutters, and more durable magnesium bodies .

The best thing you can do is go to a camera store and handle both models. You can't go wrong with either manufacturer so your decision should be based on whichever model you feel is most ergonomic and user friendly...and fits your budget.

If you're going to be shooting sports or fast action photography often, you will appreciate the faster focus speed and accuracy, high ISO performance, and faster frame rate. If these things aren't so important to you, save some money on the body and invest in better lenses.

Comment

Thanks! So, the 40D is a more advanced camera than the D80?

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        Well, those two cameras really aren't in the same class.

The Nikon equivilant to the 40D would be the D300...
        I really don't know, but one would probably not reach this conclusion by price comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
          I really don't know, but one would probably not reach this conclusion by price comparison.
          I don't know even know what the retail price of those cameras is. I was basing the comparison on the features, specs, and release dates.

The 40D is marketed at advanced amateurs. That doesn't mean you can't shoot professional quality images with a D80. People do all the time. It just means the 40D is going to perform better in conditions that demand a lot from your camera.

Comment

Both great choices. I have a Canon, but in your case I might recommend the Nikon. If Grandad has Nikon stuff, then maybe you could share lenses, flashes, etc.... That would allow you to buy lenses that Grandad doesn't have and vice versa.

Of course, if Grandad doesn't live nearby......get a Canon!

Comment

The D80 and 40D are roughly equal in resolution and are a good comparison. The Nikon is about $100 cheaper and has a reputation of less noise at higher ISO's and the Canon has the faster motor drive.

I think the comparison you might look at is the 40D and the D90. They both sell for about $1000. Again the Canon has the faster motor, but the Nikon has 25% more resolution and also does video.

Any of the three will probably serve you well. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I'll probably get which ever one I can find a better deal on!

Comment

Working...
                X