Hunting + Photography: Packs and Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious if there are any of you who manage to bring your bow gear and photog gear out on a hunt.

I'm pretty new to bowhunting, but when I rifle hunt I am typically sitting in a blind so it's not too unrealistic to have a camera on a tripod sitting next to me and still have plenty of room for a spotting scope and a rifle... yet even then it's a lot of gear to carry around.

How do you hunt with a camera, what's in your bag (and what kind of bag!?), etc.

Happy shooting!
    Whiskey

Following....

I haven’t brought my camera with me on a hunt yet. But I love photography, so this is of great interest to me.

Comment

I do it when rifle hunting but never have when i was bow hunting

Comment

I use a Badlands Diablo and manage to get my small Panasonic camcorder in it with up to a couple extra lenses for my Canon 1DXMKII. I will carry my 1DX with a 120-300mm lens attached on a monopod over m shoulder. Bow is strapped over my shoulder while I'm walking in. It's a lot, but I sure enjoy having it all in the blind. I have a tripod I leave in the blind and will bring in the video head for my hunts. It goes in the pack as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
          I do it when rifle hunting but never have when i was bow hunting
          Nice, so what does your rifle setup look like?

Originally posted by Casey View Post
          I use a Badlands Diablo and manage to get my small Panasonic camcorder in it with up to a couple extra lenses for my Canon 1DXMKII. I will carry my 1DX with a 120-300mm lens attached on a monopod over m shoulder. Bow is strapped over my shoulder while I'm walking in. It's a lot, but I sure enjoy having it all in the blind. I have a tripod I leave in the blind and will bring in the video head for my hunts. It goes in the pack as well.
          Thanks for the input, Casey - I will check out that Diablo bag. I have liked the Lowpro Protactic series, but looking for a camo pack now. Nice rig by the way! Do you do anything to protect the camera or lenses other than a bag?

Comment

The Badlands Camera Day Pack does pretty well for me whenever I'm filming hunts. If I decide I just want to use it for photography it does fairly well too as long as I'm not toting around anything more than a 400mm lens.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
              The Badlands Camera Day Pack does pretty well for me whenever I'm filming hunts. If I decide I just want to use it for photography it does fairly well too as long as I'm not toting around anything more than a 400mm lens.
              Awesome, thanks. I guess with two votes for Badlands I do need to check out their stuff.

We are taking our daughter to some CO state parks next month so a day pack that would work for moderate hiking [toting kid gear and camera gear] that is a huge plus

Comment

My main packs are a Kifaru Fulcrum and an Antero, I carry my camera in a Tenba BYOB insert.

The Peak Design camera clip is legit for keeping the camera at the ready.

Comment

Great question, thanks for posting, I was curious to see what every else was using.

Comment

I upgraded from the Badlands Super Day Pack to the Badlands Diablo Dos for two reasons:

1) More room for me to bring my camera and an extra lens
                    2) Has an Internal "frame" to help distribute the load better.

If you are looking for something to split between hunting and hiking with your family I think the Diablo Dos would be a great option.

Here are a couple pics of my Diablo Dos loaded and then all the stuff I had in it.

Last edited by JES; 08-09-2019, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks, JES! What a great looking pack. How do you carry your Binos?

I was looking at the Diablo Dos, but honestly just couldn't justify the cost difference for my needs. My wife will probably kill me as is for having so many different packs at home.

I just picked up the Badlands Pursuit pack for $65 (Note to all: when you register with badlands, you get 35% off your entire first order). It's 200cL smaller but almost 1/4 of the weight.

I also grabbed a LensCoat BodyGuard neoprene camera body protector... Will post a pic when I get it all together.
                      Last edited by Whiskey; 08-14-2019, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                        My main packs are a Kifaru Fulcrum and an Antero, I carry my camera in a Tenba BYOB insert.

The Peak Design camera clip is legit for keeping the camera at the ready.
                        Nice! Looking into these products now.

Comment

That Badlands setup is pretty slick! Good price too

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
                            Thanks, JES! What a great looking pack. How do you carry your Binos?

I was looking at the Diablo Dos, but honestly just couldn't justify the cost difference for my needs. My wife will probably kill me as is for having so many different packs at home.

I just picked up the Badlands Pursuit pack for $65 (Note to all: when you register with badlands, you get 35% off your entire first order). It's 200cL smaller but almost 1/4 of the weight.

I also grabbed a LensCoat BodyGuard neoprene camera body protector... Will post a pic when I get it all together.
                            I just keep my binos in my pack and take them out when I get in my blind, I only hunt ground blinds right now, our place doesn't have any trees big enough to hunt out of!

I was able to pick my pack up when the 50% coupon was floating around here last year.

Badlands makes a great pack.
                            Last edited by JES; 08-15-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

If you are searching for low budget ways out, I could recommend you to buy a smartphone bow mounts, so you can just use your own smartphone on a bow and film your hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X