Antelope Hunting - Can’t be that hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antelope Hunting - Can’t be that hard

My brother is somewhere in N Texas and sent a video from the side of the road. I thought these speed goats were notoriously hard to get a close look at? [emoji848]

I know. I know. Totally joking... I’m not a pronghorn dude. Never laid eyes on them in person and never hunted them. What’s the deal with these guys? Male/female? Good sized? I know pics are weak. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young buck. They're not hard to kill with a rifle. Finding a huge one is the hardest part.

Comment

I haven't ever hunted them, but when I lived up in the panhandle, I could drive up fairly close to them in a truck.

Comment

Two diff goats btw. Yeah he pulled right up to them he said. I understand this isn't typical.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          Two diff goats btw. Yeah he pulled right up to them he said. I understand this isn't typical.
          It's not uncommon at all to drive by them that close. But if you stop the vehicle and get out, they don't typically stand around long. If you get inside their comfort zone in an attempt to get within bow range, they'll run off before you get that close. But getting into rifle range is often pretty easy.

Comment

Goats with rifle are cake. Goats with a bow in middle of plowed wheat stubble not so easy

Comment

First one looks like a pup, prongs below ears. Can’t tell anything other then male on second
              Last edited by Texans42; 10-02-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                First one looks like a pup, prongs below ears. Can’t tell anything other then male
                My antelope experience is limited to the episodes of MeatEater on NF. What are the distinguishing features between male/female that you are seeing in such a poor photo?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  It's not uncommon at all to drive by them that close. But if you stop the vehicle and get out, they don't typically stand around long. If you get inside their comfort zone in an attempt to get within bow range, they'll run off before you get that close. But getting into rifle range is often pretty easy.
                  I meant typical of the species, in general, to let you that close. I liken it to whitetail standing by the highway. Don't mind the passing cars but doesn't mean they'll let you hand-feed them.

Thanks for the info

Comment

My antelope experience is limited to the episodes of MeatEater on NF. What are the distinguishing features between male/female that you are seeing in such a poor photo?

Just like deer. Bucks have horns. Does don’t for the most part. And he is in the panhandle FYI. North Texas is DFW to Denton area.

Comment

Like lots of things, it depends on how much pressure you put on them. I’ve only rifle hunted pronghorn four times and killed four times. The first one, near Ft. Davis was so easy it almost seemed like cheating. The other three, in Wyoming, weren’t much harder, but I’ve seen pronghorn in CO where I was mule deer hunting, and in Montana where I was also mule deer hunting, cut in the afterburners well before we got into easy rifle range. The ones in CO ran when we were a half mile from them. Turns out that the pronghorn hunters before us had chased them with four wheelers. I’ve never seen a really wild acting pronghorn in Texas, and very few in WY, but I was always hunting private ground. I’m told public is much different.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                        Just like deer. Bucks have horns. Does don’t for the most part. And he is in the panhandle FYI. North Texas is DFW to Denton area.

Oh, jeez. Take that regions of texas argument to the other thread I thought females DO have horns. If not, my distinguishing features question looks pretty silly now.

Comment

Horns, black patch on cheek, black face.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post

Antelope males have horns. Male deer have antlers. Since we're being technical....

Comment

I haven't seen them in person yet, but compared to what I have seen in pictures/videos these aren't real big. I mean, enough to punch a tag, sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X