Artificials vs live bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artificials vs live bait

I really like to fish with live bait as well as artificials. I'm taking a few buddies to the landcut fishing and I don't know that I wanna mess with keeping bait alive. So I'm asking the green screen would you rather fish with live bait or artificials. We will mainly be looking for trout and reds. Any help would be great.

Lots of bites = live bait

Quality bites = artificial

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      Lots of bites = live bait

Quality bites = artificial
      This... at least for trout.

Comment

If you are actually fishing the land cut proper throw bait. Bites tend to be more consistent though you may have to weed through some dinks/trash fish.

Comment

Just my personal preference........artificial. I would rather go longer between bites and hook up on a good fish.

Comment

I can't speak for saltwater but for freshwater day in and day out I will out fish artificial with live bait both on size and quanity, with exception maybe being white bass. The key is knowing how to keep quality live bait.
            Last edited by BrandonA; 04-23-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Your buddies will have more fun on live bait (especially if they are not fishermen). Having said that, I haven't fished live bait (fresh water or saltwater) in probably 25 years. I have caught more saltwater fish on a slab (surf and offshore) then any other bait.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Why not both? Fish live as long as you have them, then go plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get you some gulp.

Comment

I fish artificial only. I fish too much to buy bait every time I go. If you're only fishing a few times a year bait is probably the easiest, but once you learn how to fish with artificial there's no reason to buy bait. You can catch just as many/more quality fish with lures as bait. I took a guy surf fishing last year, I was throwing plastics, I limited out on trout. Guy I brought with me had shrimp and croaker and didn't catch a limit, but did manage a pile of gafftops. Lol. I do get shrimp when I take the wife though. For newbies or people who don't fish a lot bait is probably the way to go.

Comment

The landcut is full of shrimp right now, and that's what the fish are feeding on. you will catch more fish on bait in the cut this time of year than artificials. shrimp aren't that hard to keep alive. keep the water cool, don't change it out on them too fast, and you'll be ok.

for fishing in the actual land cut, the only way I'd negate taking the bait this time if year is if you guys plan on getting out and wading. fishing lures out of a boat in the landcut just isn't the most productive way to fish it.
                      Last edited by kyle1974; 04-23-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Newbies/Kids - Bait

Anything other time - Artificials

Comment

What’s the land cut?

Comment

For newbies on my boat I give the a gulp under a popping cork. Have had just as good luck with that set up as live shrimp with out all the fuss.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X