Solar panel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar panel question

I have a solar panel that is rated at 64 watts and 16.5 volts @ peak.

Can I hook that directly to a 12 volt car battery that is used to power an electric gate?

I have been told that it may over charge that battery and more or less cook it but, the website for the panel is saying it's rated for a 12 volt battery.

I was planning to just go for it but, thought someone with some experience might be on here.

Most 12v solar panels put out 18-20 volts. I would think 64v would overcharge it. What is the amp rating. Most 12v are 22]amps or so.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
      Most 12v solar panels put out 18-20 volts. I would think 64v would overcharge it. What is the amp rating. Most 12v are 22]amps or so.

65 watts at 16 volts is what he listed...

I'm not familiar with the wattage side but 16 volts is well within the normal solar panel range for 12 volt battery charging.

Comment

Amps = watts/volts, so this panel's amperage would be 64/16.5, or around 3.8 amps. Shouldn't cook a 12v car battery.

Comment

Perfect!
          Thanks for the responses!

Comment

Yes you could damage a 12v battery with a 12v solar panel w/o a charge regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
              Yes you could damage a 12v battery with a 12v solar panel w/o a charge regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with this.

3.5 amps going into a car battery doesn’t sound like much, but a car battery is not designed to be recharged with that amount and only putting out a little power each day. Car batteries are designed to put out a lot of power over a short period of time, and recharged with a lot of amperage over a short period of time.

Can you hook it up for now? Sure. Will it work? Yes, but not for an extended period of time.

A simple 5 amp PWM(pulse width modulation) charge controller can be bought for less than $20 and will help to extend the life of the car battery.

Later down the road you could then upgrade the battery to a sealed AGM(absorbed glassmat) battery. With the AGM battery, PWM charge controller, and the solar panel you already have you will be looking at a low to zero maintenance setup for quit sometime.

Comment

Spend a couple bucks on amazon and buy a solar charge controller. I just wired two 170 watt panels to me sea container at my ranch as there is no power out there yet. Charge controller was about 40$ for me, but there are cheaper ones. It will ensure you don’t overcharge your batteries

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                  I agree with this.

3.5 amps going into a car battery doesn’t sound like much, but a car battery is not designed to be recharged with that amount and only putting out a little power each day. Car batteries are designed to put out a lot of power over a short period of time, and recharged with a lot of amperage over a short period of time.

Can you hook it up for now? Sure. Will it work? Yes, but not for an extended period of time.

A simple 5 amp PWM(pulse width modulation) charge controller can be bought for less than $20 and will help to extend the life of the car battery.

Later down the road you could then upgrade the battery to a sealed AGM(absorbed glassmat) battery. With the AGM battery, PWM charge controller, and the solar panel you already have you will be looking at a low to zero maintenance setup for quit sometime.
                  This is the correct answer. Go to ebay or amazon and you will find them all day long for under $20.00.

Comment

Allpowers offers a range of portable power solutions, including solar generators, outdoor camping RV portable power stations, home backup power stations, and solar panels. Recharge for a better life and empower a beautiful world.

Like this one?

Comment

Without a charge controller your solar amp/hr rating should not be more than 1% of the battery amp/hr rating.

Get yourself a Morning Star "Sun Guard" solar controller they are rated for 4.5 amps . They are potted so no water or critters can get inside.
                      Last edited by LWolken; 01-21-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chubb View Post

That would be a little overkill but would do.

This one has been around for years. It’s not the best there is but is decent. Or get one like LWolken describes above.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                            This is the correct answer. Go to ebay or amazon and you will find them all day long for under $20.00.

Rob I sent you a PM about a solar issue I am having.

Comment

It really depends on how many openings the gate will see in a day. Most of the openers come with a 5 watt solar panel. Occasionally I have to put a 10 watt on a gate to make the battery keep functioning. I don't worry about the 5 watt but when I go to the 10 watt then a charge controller is used.

Comment

Working...
                              X