Family law/divorce attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family law/divorce attorney

Anyone here work in this field or know someone that does? Couple searches and can't find anyone.

Short version, trying to avoid hiring an attorney, but don't mind paying for a consultation. I have a divorce decree proposal from her attorney and just have a couple questions on the legal jargon. It would take someone knowledgeable about 10 minutes to read and probably 10-15 minutes on the phone to answer my questions.

I'm trying to keep this amicable between us and want to avoid a court battle. No kids involved and I'm agreeable to the terms offered, just a couple questions on wording before I sign and return.

Thanks

Imho, no matter what you think about the proposal, if.she has an attorney you need one.

Comment

Been there. Pay an attorney. Thought I didn’t need to since we agreed on everything going in. Allow me to repeat myself: PAY AN ATTORNEY!

Comment

Went through this last year after 23 years of marriage.
        Luckily we were able to do it ourselves without an attorney.
        Seems to me the decree is what it is. If you only have a few questions you should be able to find somebody to answer them and not spend thousands for an attorney.
        I did talk with an attorney on a phone about a few questions I had and he did answer them for free. But really tried to push me to hire him. That would have been a huge mistake in our circumstance.
        Was shocked how easy the process was (without kids makes it simple). I think we spent 2 minutes in front of the judge. Asked if we both agreed to what was in the decree and that was it.

Comment

As said before. I would pay an attorney to read and comment on the proposal. Better to pay one now than find out later that they slipped one to you.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
            Anyone here work in this field or know someone that does? Couple searches and can't find anyone.

Short version, trying to avoid hiring an attorney, but don't mind paying for a consultation. I have a divorce decree proposal from her attorney and just have a couple questions on the legal jargon. It would take someone knowledgeable about 10 minutes to read and probably 10-15 minutes on the phone to answer my questions.

I'm trying to keep this amicable between us and want to avoid a court battle. No kids involved and I'm agreeable to the terms offered, just a couple questions on wording before I sign and return.

Thanks
            You will be taken to the cleaners without legal representation. Her counsel is probably licking his/her chops right now and smells blood in the water. If your ex is amicable, y'all should have agreed to handle this between each other and had the judge sign off

prayers sent up

Comment

Several here in area that I work with. Let me know I can put you in touch one one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                You will be taken to the cleaners without legal representation. Her counsel is probably licking his/her chops right now and smells blood in the water. If your ex is amicable, y'all should have agreed to handle this between each other and had the judge sign off

prayers sent up
                How will he be taken to the cleaners when everything is in writing?

Comment

Guys, this is not a big deal. After 36 years of marriage she has decided to move on. No fighting/arguing, and the proposal is reasonable. Just a couple questions on legal terminology. DFWPI, sending you a PM. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
                    How will he be taken to the cleaners when everything is in writing?
                    It all depends on what the divorce decree proposal states. What if the ex wants 1/2 of his 401K, investments, property, firearms, boats, vehicles, retirement money, etc ..... and he can't touch any of her aforementioned items ?

If the agreement is 50/50 on all of their assets including investments, then that would be considered "fair and balanced" IMO.

Guys, this is not a big deal. After 36 years of marriage she has decided to move on. No fighting/arguing, and the proposal is reasonable. Just a couple questions on legal terminology. DFWPI, sending you a PM. Thanks.
                    good to hear, and best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      It all depends on what the divorce decree proposal states. What if the ex wants 1/2 of his 401K, investments, property, firearms, boats, vehicles, retirement money, etc ..... and he can't touch any of her aforementioned items ?

If the agreement is 50/50 on all of their assets including investments, then that would be considered "fair and balanced" IMO.

good to hear, and best of luck
                      The proposal is fair. Just want clarification on legal terminology.

Comment

Can you post the terminology in question? or have you tried 'googling' for an attorney near you or 'googling' the terminology in question? Since you asked for an attorney I would use google if no one has any recommendations.

Comment

The proposal is fair. Just want clarification on legal terminology.
                          FYI... just dont sign the little paper waiving your right to appear in court so you wont be inconvenienced. If you do, they can show up and ask the judge for anything they want regardless of your agreement. You wont know it until its too late.

Comment

Haven't heard from DFWPI, still looking for a contact.

Comment

Mary Holland and Associates located in Bedford,Tx

Comment

Working...
                              X