Bullet choice for Aoudad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet choice for Aoudad

I'm going on an Aoudad hunt in Oct and am conflicted on the best bullet to use in my 300 RUM. Shot factory Hornady ELDX 220gr Ammo out to 800 yards this weekend with really good results but also have some 230gr Berger vlds loaded up to try out.

Between the 2 choices, which one is better suited for a 300+ lb Aoudad ram?

Does anyone have personal experience the ELDX in a 30 caliber on game animals?

Hmmm...

I'd stick with the ELDX. I killed two with one shot once using the 140 gr. Barnes X bullet out of a 7mm SAUM.

Comment

Killed mine with a 300 WM in 180 GR BT (hand loads) and at right at 200 yards it took 2 shots to get him to fall.

Comment

Wife laid this one down with a 460 Weatherby Mag with 220 grain projectile

Comment

162 gr eldx 7mm knocks em down all day long at 275 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

my wife shot hers and it went maybe 10 yds with a 100gr .243 so I think you should be ok with either one.

Comment

I'm headed to Terlingua in October to Aoudad hunt and I'm using my 300 RUM. 200 Grain Accubond.

Out of the two you mentioned, I would go with the ELDX 220's if you've had good results to 800 yards.

Comment

We had many taken off our lease just outside of Del Rio with everything from 243 to 300mag. The most important thing was shot placement. Since this is an African animal, the vitals are more forward than whitetails. If you shoot in the same place as you would a Whitetail then you will be in for a long trailing job if you ever do find it.

All 4 of mine were with a bow and all 100% pass thru. It's not "how big is my bullet?" but more about "where is my shot placement?". Look it up for a better mental picture and don't think all sheep and goats are the same. Make sure you get vitals on a Barbary Sheep (Aoudad). Good luck!

Comment

Either will work perfectly fine just shoot the one you're more comfortable with. Studying proper shot placement will help more than a specific bullet or caliber

Comment

Thanks for the input, and I was more concerned with if I have to take a frontal or quartering to shot - which bullet would hold together better? Understand shot placement is critical

Comment

I killed mine with 225gr Barnes TSX out of my 35 Whelen and that bruiser made it 30yds....with that being said I shoot the ELDX out of several calibers and harvested a 700lbs Nilgai bull at 235yds with my 30-378, I have total confidence in the ELDX bullet.

jrg

Comment

I killed mine with a 6.5 creedmore 143gr ELDX. You'll be fine.

Comment

I've killed a couple with 168gr Berger hunting vlds out of the tube of a 7mm rm. 453 yard shot quartering to me, second shot same distance all he did was hunch up and turn 1/2 circle and I shot him quartering away and he folded up. Prolly would have been fine with the first shot but I didn't want him running further down in the canyon. I wouldn't hesitate to use those vlds in 300 rum.

Comment

Wife killed this one with my 6.5 creedmoor and 140g Amax. He went about 6 steps.

Comment

I'm loading 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets in my 300 RUM for my October Aoudad hunt..

Comment

Working...
                              X