workbench light that plugs into an outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

workbench light that plugs into an outlet

I am building a workbench this weekend and I am looking for a fluorescent like that plugs into an outlet.

Don't do fluorescent--go to Rockler.com and check out their LED lights. Way brighter, and you don't have all the problems with bulbs (they are advertised to last 50,000 hrs) or other high-failure parts (ballasts) that fluorescents have. As my shoplights fail in my shop, I'm replacing them with the LED fixtures.

Comment

If you go the fluorescent route, I have hung a tile ceiling type light before and wired in an extension cord as a power plug. But the led route would be the better option

Comment

HD and Lowes sell plug in LED lights that are long/rectangular shape that you can put above your work bench.

Comment

I have a 4 foot LED plug in that I bought from Home Depot, works like a champ! I think it was only $40-$50

Comment

I use these but without the deflector, can't find a link for that one though. Very bright.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
              HD and Lowes sell plug in LED lights that are long/rectangular shape that you can put above your work bench.
              ^^ I have nothing but LED lights in my barn and above the work bench. I would never go back to anything else.

I built a unistrut frame and dropped 4 LED plug in lights above my wood working area as well.

Comment

Whatever you choose, wire the fixture with a plug instead of hard wiring it. Problem solved. You could also change out the receptacle with a switched receptacle. That way you can switch it on and off, instead of unplugging it.

Comment

2 for 60. But I think they have some single ones for around 20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged

Comment

The ones I have are FIED and they don't have them any more, work good .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Walmart got some good led's

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                          Whatever you choose, wire the fixture with a plug instead of hard wiring it. Problem solved. You could also change out the receptacle with a switched receptacle. That way you can switch it on and off, instead of unplugging it.
                          I put an in-line switch in my lights--and I got mine from Rockler because they were on sale 30%off with free shipping.

Comment

If it were me doing it I'd put a wall box in when I built the workbench. Then I'd wire a switch in there, one in to the light and the other to the outlet then just stick a 3 prong on it. Sure is a lot easier to flip a switch than to plug and unplug every time. Seems like you're always in a bind with something when you need more light or you run out of gun nails.

Comment

Originally posted by trx250r View Post
                              2 for 60. But I think they have some single ones for around 20

This is what I have. Works well for just workbench stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X