No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not a "gun guy". Like I said, I have one 270 and also a Marlin 3030. That's it. But I'm finally at a point in my life where I don't feel as guilty spending money on something I want. I'm probably going to be helping manage an MLD ranch in Kerr county with the opportunity to shoot several whitetail and axis each year.

If I don't get an elk on this year's archery hunt, I will probably be going back with a rifle.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chew; 04-08-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

These sort of rigs can turn you into a gun guy Bobby...hopefully it won't become a full blown disease like it is for some of us.

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      To thanks for all the input guys. I'm not a "gun guy". Like I said, I have one 270 and also a Marlin 3030. That's it. But I'm finally at a point in my life where I don't feel as guilty spending money on something I want. I'm probably going to be helping manage an MLD ranch in Kerr county with the opportunity to shoot several whitetail and axis each year.

If I don't get an elk on this year's archery hunt, I will probably be going back with a rifle.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not a "gun guy". Like I said, I have one 270 and also a Marlin 3030. That's it. But I'm finally at a point in my life where I don't feel as guilty spending money on something I want. I'm probably going to be helping manage an MLD ranch in Kerr county with the opportunity to shoot several whitetail and axis each year.

Good luck on the elk hunt and send steaks !

Comment

If you were only going to shoot axis and whitetail, I'd stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor. But moving up to the 7mm-08 gives you a lot of versatility. Load that with a 120 Tipped Triple Shocks at 3100 fps (or an Accubond or Partition or similar bullet or a cup and core at 2800 fps) and you're killing elk out to 400 yards (which is about 150 yards further than I probably need to be shooting them at), and the recoil will be less than your .270 now.

LWD

Comment

I like that rifle. However, I just purchased a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 X 55 and if it were me I'd buy the Fieldcraft in 7/08 with the threaded 18 inch barrel, if you ever wanted to shoot suppressed. If not, they also have one with a 21 " barrel. It will cost you less than the APR.

Comment

Top suggestion is to get it threaded. Next get 18 or 20" max barrel length unless you are planning on shooting very long range at paper, like over 600 yards. Third, if you don't have a suppressor, get one. Caliber really depends on how you plan to use the gun, but with elk I would look at 7mm WSM or 300 WSM

Comment

I likey the kryptek

Comment

You should have got in on the TBH build! Id say 7 08 especially if you think youre gonna travel to elk country with it. If you go to the CM, I have a 7 mag you can borrow for the elk (not that either of your choices wont kill one)

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                  Why???
                  Spend the money on DOING something with the ones you have rather than putting another gun in the safe.
                  I got an itch Thursday and Friday for a CZ full stock 22. I already have several really good ones that the CZ would have a hard time out shooting. What I need is time to use them and not buy something else to have to fiddle with.
                  I got over the itch.
                  The only way to get over a gun itch is to buy one. Life is too short for a half empty safe

Comment

I have been pondering the same thing myself. I was looking at factory ammunitions and not reloading for it. There is only a couple of factory loads in the 7mm-08 that will have more energy at a distance than the 6.5 CM will. That being said that doesn't mean the rifle you buy will shoot those loads worth a crap. If you go 7mm-08 try and get a 1:9 twist instead f 1:9.5 it will help to shoot heavier bullets. The factory 6.5 CM loads don't surpass the energy of the 7mm-08 until about 500yds or so if I remember right so under that distance especially 100-300yds the 7mm-08 packs a bit more punch than the 6.5 CM does. Factory loads for both are close enough in price I wouldn't worry to much about that but variety and selection of ammunition may be more plentiful with the 6.5CM. You can't go wrong with either one.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      I have a 7 mag you can borrow for the elk (not that either of your choices wont kill one)
                      This, either of the rounds you mention well kill an elk with a well placed broad side shot But personally if I'm going on an out of state elk hunt with limited time to get it done then I want a rifle with enough power and penetration that I'm comfortable with a less than perfect shot angle

Comment

Oy, a 7-08 vs. 6.5 CM thread. They're both ideal for what you want. Neither is good for elk. Both are easy to find in stores, although 6.5 CM is taking over the world at this point and the selection of .264 hunting bullets is amazing. You can't go wrong with either, and neither has a real edge.

I wouldn't consider a new rifle that wasn't threaded.

Comment

Personal preference for me would be the 6.5CM because I like it better than the 7-08.

I got over the itch.
                          Is there something you can take to get the itch back? I sure hope I never lose my itch lol.

Comment

Do it!!
                            Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                            If you like it get it.
                            Sounds like your fishing for someone to talk you outa getting it.
                            IMO the 6.5 Creedmoor "fad" has come and gone.
                            Thread or not to thread? Are you going to put something on the end? Do some "homework" on a BOSS you can even get one with a built in muzzle break. Ka-Boom!
                            Don't paint yourself into a corner just incase you want to sell it some day.
                            IMO don't get some "weird" caliber or finish.
                            Wood is good.
                            Don't listen to me. I'm an idiot?
                            Semper fi.
                            God bless!
                            Last edited by texaspacker; 04-09-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
                              I do the same thing when picking a new caliber. Just picked up a 308 and looking for 7.62x39 in a bolt gun.
                              Check out the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39

Comment

I'd be fine with either caliber.

I would go threaded for sure....because why not.

In my opinion APR goes way overboard with all the spiral fluting on almost every gun they make. I'd go with some straight fluting.

Comment

Working...
                                X