Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
    Wait! What, you can abuse an anvil?
    Are you kidding? I bet my son could jack it up with a rubber mallet.

Comment

Can't tell you anything about it but I know they are darn useful to have around the place. Grandfather had one that I could hardly lift out at the old place and we sold it when he passed. Big ol' boy bought it for his farm and I'd be lying if the next morning I realized I'd need that thing to get some iron straightened out from one of our "projects". *laugh* Same guy that bought that anvil also bought a foot pedal powered sharpening wheel on a stand that took two of us to load, darn stone was about 3' across and a good 6" thick. Should have kept that one also.

Comment

That does not look abused to me, corners are sharp, edges mostly intact. Numbers are related to stone weight, seven stone and five stone. Does it ring when you drop a hammer on it and bounce it?

Comment

There are many, many good youtube videos on restoring anvils or hand forging, even shopping for old anvils that will help you a bunch. Most are mounted to a big section of oak tree trunk for stability and cushioning. Watch the videos on unique ways to anchor them with chain to a stump!

Comment

I have a friend in Lampasas that buys, restores, and sells old anvils as well as all other kinds of blacksmith tools and also makes his own forges. He could probably help you out with anything you wanted.

Comment

I’ll check them out better when I get home from spring break. I just thought they were cool. I’ve had a metal shop forever but never really had an anvil. Guess I’ll see if I can use one.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                I’ll check them out better when I get home from spring break. I just thought they were cool. I’ve had a metal shop forever but never really had an anvil. Guess I’ll see if I can use one.
                If you decide to sell either or both, I'd appreciate the opportunity to buy 'em... PM me if so please.
                Thx.

Comment

Working...
                X