Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I alone in thinking this is insane? (kids sports)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TreeNap View Post
    I would have told the league you were going to withdraw as a coach if you had to play this kid.

With this, surely your parents would have thrown a fit to the league.

The league would have had no choice to allow you to do what you feel is right for the better sake of the team as a whole.

Sometimes, you have to stand for what you know is right no matter the cost.

If, the league stood put on their demand for playing time and replaced you as a coach…

It would have been the talk of the league as a whole and I'm certain the board would somehow change the rules for the future.

Again, got to stand for something or fall for anything.
    Amen my man!

Sadly not many people do this anymore.

Like Curt Schilling did

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Horse View Post
      No, because a TEAM is not about the individual...hence my issue..,
      Well I'm using my 5yr old as reference in all my posts. Mainly because he is my current "athlete". lol. He doesn't care if Jr didn't show up to practice and is playing out there. He definitely knows Jr is part of his team though. That part is done.

Comment

It's BS, society is trying to do away with consequences.... Although it could be his parents fault for not ever bringing him and he's the one that suffers because of it. But, the league rules are what they are, I dont agree with it either. I'd have a sitdown with board over the league and explain the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeNap View Post
          I would have told the league you were going to withdraw as a coach if you had to play this kid.

With this, surely your parents would have thrown a fit to the league.

The league would have had no choice to allow you to do what you feel is right for the better sake of the team as a whole.

Sometimes, you have to stand for what you know is right no matter the cost.

If, the league stood put on their demand for playing time and replaced you as a coach…

It would have been the talk of the league as a whole and I'm certain the board would somehow change the rules for the future.

Again, got to stand for something or fall for anything.
          That's basically where it stands right now...I've requested he be moved to another team...
          Next move will be mine if I'm told "no" & stuck with him...

Comment

Cut him and his mom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
              Well I'm using my 5yr old as reference in all my posts. Mainly because he is my current "athlete". lol. He doesn't care if Jr didn't show up to practice and is playing out there. He definitely knows Jr is part of his team though. That part is done.
              Well at that age I agree with what you've basically said 100%...
              At 5 you are lucky to keep them interested for more than 5-10 minutes at a time in practice...11/12yrs that's not quiet the same...

Comment

Originally posted by billfromtx View Post
                I coached for 12 years and would assume its not the kids fault. Stick him in right field and play ball. The parents should be ashamed of themselves!
                Best post in this thread. More than likely the kid wants to be there and it's not his fault that he isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
                  Cut him and his mom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Violence isn't the answer

Comment

Ok, maybe I just need to vent, but I find this insane...
                    Not going to name the league or sport...its not the point...

I coach a team who is currently 11 - 0...

I have one kid who:
                    Has never been to a practice...ever in 3 months...
                    (we practice twice a week)
                    Has only shown up to one game (the 1st) out of the 10...
                    (these are 11-12yrs)

He then shows up to the 11th game half way through the game...
                    Parents (drama mama) demand I put him in...I don't...(didn't know who he was at 1st)

I get a notice from the league today telling me I HAVE to play a kid even if all he does is show up for the games...and I must play him for half the game minimum...

So some player, who comes to every practice and every game busting their butt, must sit out so this kid can play...
                    (mind you I have a minimum number on my roster & winning against coaches with twice the number of players...so these kids have really worked hard to pull off this record)

Am I crazy for thinking this is beyond insane?!

I am assuming this is baseball??..If so, is the league affiliated with Little League? If they are, go by the little league rule book for playing time. I think its 2 innings.

Comment

you signed up for it

The rules are in place, and you knew that going in. I have been in your shoes, but was also the president of the league, so there was no way around it. 11-12 year olds can't drive themselves to practice, and the parents are the issue. I would think with a perfect record, playing 1 kid for 6 outs and 1 at bat would not hurt you. You may teach the kid a life lesson along the way.

Comment

Well at that age I agree with what you've basically said 100%...
                        At 5 you are lucky to keep them interested for more than 5-10 minutes at a time in practice...11/12yrs that's not quiet the same...
                        You mean it doesn't feel quite the same and I do understand what you mean. I do agree though that if the parents do not have a legit reason for this kid you speak of and have been taking advantage of this rule, thus allowing this to happen since day one of their kids participation, it will be a heck of a wake up call in 8th grade. They have set their kid up for failure or a long road until he realizes how important it is.

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
                          Its hard for me cuz my kids don't miss practice but im always interested in others views on here. Let me make sure we are on the same page. You are ok with sitting a 5yr old on the bench the whole game cuz his parents couldn't make the one practice at 5 on Thursdays?

What are you talking about? You've twisted this situation to include things that were never mentioned....5 years olds, military parents, shift work, etc. This was not about a 5 year old missing a practice on Thursday. This was about a parent/kid combo that NEVER came to practice....ever. This isn't about a schedule conflict it's about a lack of commitment. I am ok with sitting a kid that never comes to practice or games. If a kid misses A practice, then he doesn't start but would still play. That's my take on it, and what's worked for me and the kids I've coached for the last 17 years. It called expectations....if you set em, they'll follow them.

Comment

You're not alone... I'd be ****** too. What does that teach the kids?

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                            You forgot we live in a society where everything must be fair and if it's not then it's wrong. But yes you have every right to thinking that is beyond insane because it is. Just like givin McDonald's workers $15 when they didn't deserve it much like this situation
                            Playing the kid isn't fair.
                            It's also nothing like what businesses pay their employees. What McDonald's franchisees pays their employees above the minimum wage is none of my business... or yours.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              What are you talking about? You've twisted this situation to include things that were never mentioned....5 years olds, military parents, shift work, etc. This was not about a 5 year old missing a practice on Thursday. This was about a parent/kid combo that NEVER came to practice....ever. This isn't about a schedule conflict it's about a lack of commitment. I am ok with sitting a kid that never comes to practice or games. If a kid misses A practice, then he doesn't start but would still play. That's my take on it, and what's worked for me and the kids I've coached for the last 17 years. It called expectations....if you set em, they'll follow them.
                              Dude you would be the one to make me reread the frkn original post. lol. I read never like sarcastically never. My bad. As a parent I would still be ok if coach put him in there...for like a minute or two

Comment

And we wonder why kids or young adults ask......

Why did I fail my class when I showed up for all the test days but never attended class?
                                Why did I lose my job for missing most days but I always worked on pay day?

I understand kids don't control their transportation but we can control the lessons we teach.

Comment

Working...
                                X