Mule deer gun advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mule deer gun advice

I was wanting to know what gun would be best to take Mule Deer hunting in Utah. Will be some long shots and no stand hunting. 308, 264 win mag, or something larger like 300 min mag?

Cant go wrong with 300 Win mag.

Comment

I've killed them with .240 Weatherby, .257 Weatherby, .25-06, 7mag Remington, 7mag Weatherby.....

Whatever you have that you're comfortable shooting accurately out to whatever distance you're comfortable with. Pick a good quality bullet. It's hard to beat a Nosler Partition or Accubond. 100 grain up to 160 grain have all worked well for me.

Comment

.264 win mag

Comment

Pick your two most accurate rifles, and take them both. Hunt with the largest one and keep the other for a spare. Never know what the mountains will throw at you.

Comment

i recommend not going below the 6# range.

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarkin...298f935f6c.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
              Pick your two most accurate rifles, and take them both. Hunt with the largest one and keep the other for a spare. Never know what the mountains will throw at you.
              ^^^^ Very good advice. ^^^^

Comment

They all kill, MD are susceptible to a well placed bullet like any whitetail

Good luck

Comment

out of those, I'd go with the .264 win mag.
                  If I was going I'd shoot my .257 wby mag and 110gr Nosler Accubonds and bring my .264 win mag with 130gr Accubonds as a back up

Comment

All will get the job done just fine but i would suggest the 264 or the 300.

Comment

I would take the rifle your most confident in out to extended ranges of 300-400 yds. Seen many of mule deer killed with a .243 out to 300 yards 1 shot behind the shoulder. One thing I will say is mule deer are not like whitetail as in, they seem to go down easier, not in every case though as each deer is different. A lot of times with a borderline or bad first shot they will allow plenty of time for a follow up shot. All 3 calibers you listed are more than enough to take a mulie out to 400 yards quick and easy.

Comment

I'm headed to Colorado next year for a Mulie hunt and the outfitter said to bring at least a 270. Probably gonna take my Browning X bolt stainless stalker carbon fluted 270 wsm with 140 gr Accubonds and my stainless Rem 700 300 win with 180 gr Accubonds. The X bolt is a little lighter to tote around the mountains. He encouraged me to break the shoulder, since there is 10's of thousands of acres that he could disappear into. I would rather give up a little shoulder meat vs possibly losing the whole buck.

Comment

My first I shot with a 300 RUM. This year I’m taking a 6.5 Creedmoor and have no doubts it will get the job done.

Any of the 3 calibers you listed will do the job just fine

Comment

Yep

Comment

This.

Comment

Working...
                              X