Gps unit recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gps unit recommendations

Looking for a decent gps that has a nice easy to read screen and comes with topo and satellite images. What do you reccomend? Thanks

I'd recommend using your smart phone and onxmaps app. Cheaper than a gps and as or more useful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
      I'd recommend using your smart phone and onxmaps app. Cheaper than a gps and as or more useful to me.
      I'm using ONX Maps on my phone here in Texas and absolutely love it. I have a new Garmin Montana GPS that I am going to use with ONX Colorado Chip when I am in Colorado end of October. This will help me determine if I really need my GPS. If not it's going up for sale as soon as I get back.

Comment

Only thing with using your phone is you are tied to a charger. I have a battery pack for my Garmin rino and it allows me to use 4AA batteries so always have power for it no matter what. I like the rino when hunting with others. Can communicate with other rinos with text messages a radio and can even send your location out to others. Very handy if you are hunting near each other but separated in the mountains.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the info

Comment

i use the Garmin GPS60CSX

The upgrade version is the newer 62 model. Cabelas just had them on sale for $240

Topo maps, color screen and all

Comment

OnX maps on your phone, and use a Garmin Inreach Mini for a sat phone.

Comment

I use Gaia GPS maps and my phone. Just finished 11 day elk hunt in Idaho covering 56 miles. Much better than trying to read a standard GPS

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  OnX maps on your phone, and use a Garmin Inreach Mini for a sat phone.
                  This is my exact setup.

Comment

Another vote for ONX maps. Used it for a week in Idaho. Used the Garmin INReach to text my wife and back up gps.

Comment

Garmin 60csx for hand held unit.
                      Gaia app for smart phone to supplement.
                      OnX desktop (website) for pre-season scouting.

I like a handheld GPS when I’m in the backcountry.
                      My phone is my emergency communications device and I don’t want to risk losing, damaging, or running the battery dry.

Comment

i think the only reason ppl use onx maps is bc they dont know about back country navigator- its essentially the same thing (better in my opinion bc it has prolly 15 different overlays of satellite and topo you can choose from, plus it has private and public boundary.... best part is its free, or you can use the pro for like 10$ and it never expires unlike onx where u pay YEARLY ouch.
                        ive been deep in mountains of new mex, colorado, wyoming and montana and it has never failed me

Comment

Do the backcountry and Gaia apps allow you to save the maps for offline use like onx does? That’s a pretty big deal when you don’t have cell service in the backcountry

Comment

Can the phone aps let you input lat/long points and direct you to them?

Comment

This.
                              Originally posted by LWC View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X