Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New hunter in the camp, ha coming soon anyhow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New hunter in the camp, ha coming soon anyhow...

Saturday, I needed to hit the local pro shop up for a couple things. Meanwhile my son was with me and I have been entertaining getting a bow for him.

Every afternoon when we get home, his responsibility is to feed, water and let the dogs out. Then while they are doing their thing, I will shoot about 10-12 shots in the back yard and my son will watch.

I did a lot of research and I decided to pick one up for him.

We decided on Mission Archery's Craze II, he picked the color...Zombie green.

So, while we were there I spent some time with him, working on stance, form, taking aim and then releasing the arrow.

After a short time, his confidence improved and so did his aim.

Right now, we are fifteen pounds, but I'm thinking after he builds those muscles up, he will be pulling heavy weights very soon.
    There is still some tweaking we need to do, I may need to short his draw length some, but we are getting it down.

Check out our day at the range yesterday.

This is awesome. That's a pretty sweet looking bow too!

Comment

Way to go dad! Can't wait to do that with my grandson some day. My in laws live in Waxahachie too. Love going out there. It's the only time I got to shoot long distance. If you ever need a hand with anything let me know. Have red wings will travel

Comment

That's awsome. Let him shoot it for a month or two. Get the basics down. Then increase the poundage by a half turn a a week with out telling him. He will be at 40 pounds before you know it.

Comment

Those are sweet bows. Awesome.

Comment

Guys the positivity here is awesome. This is why I love this forum, it is very uplifting and positive because of the kind hearted nature associated with all of its users.

It's a learning curve for him. But he's diligent, thankfully. I need to find a way to make the back wall more stiff so we can locate a solid anchor point. Also, I'm thinking we are going to have to shorten his draw length about an inch, maybe an inch and a half.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
              Guys the positivity here is awesome. This is why I love this forum, it is very uplifting and positive because of the kind hearted nature associated with all of its users.

It's a learning curve for him. But he's diligent, thankfully. I need to find a way to make the back wall more stiff so we can locate a solid anchor point. Also, I'm thinking we are going to have to shorten his draw length about an inch, maybe an inch and a half.
              First off, good job on getting him hooked on the cleanest addiction he could ever have.

I would think that shortening the DL will do much more for his anchor than trying to make the back wall harder. Once he is shooting the right length, he will naturally find his anchor.

Comment

That right there is the good stuff. You get my vote for dad of the year! Keep them close and fill them full of knowledge and one day you will have a respectful cultured young Man.

LWR2

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                  That's awsome. Let him shoot it for a month or two. Get the basics down. Then increase the poundage by a half turn a a week with out telling him. He will be at 40 pounds before you know it.
                  Yes and no. This is to fast to increase weight on a very young person. This will cause shoulder damage.

Comment

Wow, he's got some really good form. I'm taking lessons.

Comment

DL is definitely too long IMO. Might also check peep position as he is tilting his head to look thru it.

Is he using a wrist strap on the bow hand? I've found that many errant shots can be traced to poor hand placement and grabbing the bow after release that the strap will help him avoid.

Comment

It's great to get them started. My 2 year old loves to come shoot with me. If that bow will shorten the draw length by 2 inches do it (if you can only get one then do that). It will feel lighter poundage to him and you will be able to raise the poundage easier for him. Look at his release hand. His elbow is actually below his shoulder. Also something that will help get a release that has a strap instead of a bar and shorten it all the way down so that he wraps hid finger around the trigger (it will also artificially shorten his draw length by making his release arm stop sooner.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                            First off, good job on getting him hooked on the cleanest addiction he could ever have.

I would think that shortening the DL will do much more for his anchor than trying to make the back wall harder. Once he is shooting the right length, he will naturally find his anchor.
                            Here's my line of thinking and if I'm wrong, please correct me, because I may have some bad habits as well and really want him to have the right information the first time.

When I purchased the bow, I went in with his measurements. I explained to him, I needed him to stretch his arms out like an eagle and open palms facing forward. I knew I would be close. Then after setting it up and working with him on his form, I'm seeing it is a little long, as noted from the videos above.

Now when I draw his bow back, I noticed the back wall wasn't solid. So I'm thinking or working on thinking of a way to help make it solid. So there is no leeway or bouncing give there. Then showing him that he needs to consistently draw and release from the same exact place. This way we can fine tune his zero. Because he's hitting the target, but training him to focus on a particular part of the target and putting every arrow in the same place is where my displacement is at the moment.

I know that it will all come together as he become more accustom to shooting, but for me form is everything, I do everything the same, from draw and even how I wiggle my nose before I shoot and that shows consistent on the target. Although again, I do not want him to adopt my bad habits if I can prevent it, because ultimately I want him to be better than I am.
                            Last edited by TexasWicked1; 11-03-2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

Is he using a wrist strap on the bow hand?
                              Yes sir. He has a TruFire Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X