Big Oak Bowhunting- fallow buck down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Oak Bowhunting- fallow buck down!

Well, my wife and I went on our first of hopefully many trips to Big Oak Bowhunting ranch. We did a 3 day hunt and took along our baby so it could be his first hunting trip.

I knew it would be tough hunting in the extreme heat, but we were happy to have a weekend away after all the traveling and time with family this previous month and I was just going to get out a few hours each sit and see what happens. I wasn't after anything specifically.

I wanted to arrow wild hogs and possibly a few exotics. The heat pretty much kept everything at bay, but you would be surprised the temperature difference when you were in the low spots and in the thick east Texas woods. Early mornings were nice, evenings were HOT but cooled off quickly.

I saw some really good red stag, fallow, axis, mouflon, rams and a few ibex, along with some beautiful sika.

The hunters cabin was nicer than any place you could find. Satellite TV, stocked fridge with fruit, snacks and drinks, leather couches, granite counter tops, kurig...place is first class.

When it's time for brunch or dinner, you head to the owners house. You are invited in like family and all sit down together for some of the best home cooked southern food. Everything from buscuits and gravy to smothered steak. With all the sides and desserts. You won't be disappointed that's for sure.

All the blinds on the ranch are huge comfortable fiberglass blinds, set up for bow hunters. There are also accompanying tripods and ladder stands. All are well positioned and oriented properly. Very nice blinds!

Now for the hunt, I saw lots of animals, but the heat made it tough. I was after a particular mouflon, but the ghost disappeared on us. I just kept patient and sat where they told me. Towards the end of the weekend, I was put on a cleared power line road/right away. We had been seeing fallow in the area and there were several shooters. Sitting up in a ladder stand, I slowly had three fallow and a whitetail moving in. There was a really wide huge fallow traveling alone who was good then there was the bachelor group as mentioned above. In this group there was a spotted fallow who was real wide, had several defined points and a large kicker. I couldn't pas him up. He was quartering away at 16yrds, I aimed for the exit and got a pass through.

The deer bolted about 20 steps, wobbled and dropped stone cold dead in sight. It all happened quick and was amazing. Dead first fallow.

I can't thank Buff, Mrs. Thomas and their niece/guide Whitney for their hospitality and such a great hunt. When we left there, it felt like we were leaving family. We look forward to another trip there after deer season is over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	25063344

[ATTACH]733645[/ATTACH]

This was a wide fallow.

Comment

Pic from the field-

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	24396513

Comment

Beautiful trophy! Congrats!

Comment

Beutiful buck, Congratulations

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Awesome animal! Sounds like a great place

Comment

Congrats on a nice fallow!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

What a fine looking animal, congrats. Got to love when they drop within sight.

Comment

Nice! Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome hunt and write up JM! We will be there in Sept. and we are counting down the days.

Comment

Congrats! Beautiful fallow and good write up.

Comment

Top notch folks at big oak congrats brother

Comment

Working...
                              X