No announcement yet.

Celebrate the life of John "Tuthdoc" Lee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel extremely fortunate to have shared a couple of hunting camps with John.

First time on the Junco was our first work weekend after leasing out a pasture. John took time out to run over to our pasture to show Mike Miller and I a few areas to set up protein pens. He also showed us an easier way to build them too. I would always enjoy inviting the Lee's over for fish fry's or going over to their camp to look over video's and deer pics. I learned a lot from my conversations with them about bowhunting and chasing deer on the Junco. When I emailed John about leaving the Junco, I told him that the only thing I would really miss was sharing a camp with him and his brothers ( Dog and Blade included ).

John also recommended me to Mitch for a spot on the Axis Lease. We had so much fun last year. My first trip up I didn't have adequate transportation around the ranch. John and Bobby were leaving that same day. John told me where the keys were and told me to use his ranger. John saved me a lot of walking that first hunt. We hunted a few days together towards the end of the lease. I will never forgot sitting in camp watching video of "one eyed jack" and telling John he was crazy for not shooting him.

I will always remember John for his outgoing personality.

Like Bruce said on another post, we just went through the motions this weekend. I kept thinking that John and Mark should have been there this weekend. He was missed this weekend and will be missed many, many, more down the road. But I will have the memories of the hunts I was able to share with John.

For all the fellow TBHer's that mentioned that they wished they could have met John in person, I wish you could have met him too.

Comment

Keep em coming Mailman, especially if it helps you through these times, We are all here for you, I didn't have the priveledge of knowing him very well, Only a couple of meetings at TBH get togethers. The first being at Triple Edge, I was asking people who was who and Joey pointed out Doc, I was awed, It was like a kid meeting his favorite pro ball player or something, I had to meet him and shake his hand. We will all miss his knowledge and wisdom

Comment

Keep the stories coming Matt.

I'm keeping your family in my prayers.

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting up with John at the feed store in San Angelo a good while back. We talked next to his truck for 45 minutes or so. His passion and knowledge towards deer stuff was very obvious. I usually don't talk much, but I think I had asked like 42 questions in a VERY SHORT time. I always like hearing about big deer and really enjoyed listening to him. After i drove off, I remember thinking above all, I was more impressed with how nice and kind he was.

I enjoy TBH and always looked for his posts/threads. I have learned and use some of his methods now. I have bugged him a lot and he always took the time to answer my MANY PM's. I appreciated that.

For me, I admired his passion and determination, and was drawn to him. I always try to thank God for each hunt and time shared with my friends. This coming season I will be more appreciative of that. I know my passion and determination will be on another level from here on out.

Thanks for everything "tuthdoc"...you made a positive impression on me!!!
          Last edited by Bone Thug; 05-25-2009, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
            First Hunt

January of 2000, Jen and I had been dating about a year, and John and the brothers had lost the deer lease they were on, so they started duck hunting hard and heavy that year. Jen tells me, "It would be so neat if you and my dad could hunt together..." I was intimidated to ask him, but I worked up the courage and asked him if I could come on a duck hunt with him, he said sure Mailman.

I had never duck hunted in my life so John rigged me out with camo to "blend in" in the marsh, a facemask, and some gloves. I took my Dad's old .870 with us, and we were off. Now here is where the fun began, John didn't want to spend any money on a pair of waders for me not knowing if I would like duck hunting, and I was a poor college kid who could barely rub 2 nickels together, so we were going to borrow Bobby's waders for me because he had to work that morning.

Well unfortunately for me, John grabbed Clayton's waders (who was probably 13 at the time) instead of Bobby's, and Clayton could not have been more than about 5-5 or 5-6. I am 6-3, this was a BAD deal. The crotch in these things came up to my knees, and I couldn't even velcro the shoulder straps.

Another detail ol Tuthdoc left out was the fact we weren't actually going to hunt on Friday, we were going to wait until Saturday so everybody could get in on the action. We scouted on Friday, we walked and walked across that marsh. I kept up as best I could with those waders at my knees. It was a misreable day, and to top it off we found birds, and we didn't shoot them. For a 19 year old kid this made no sense, but I can still hear those words today...

"Matt we learned 2 lessons today, it is so much better to enjoy this with everyone, it would have been terrible to shoot out that hole and kill 2 limits today, but our shoot tomorrow may not have been as good, and everyone will be here tomorrow. Saturday we kill ducks. Find the birds one day, kill them the next day!!!" "Lesson #2, you cannot fit in a youth pair of waders!!! LOL"

He ALWAYS thought of others before himself, and I have kept that lesson he tought almost 10 years ago with me to this day. The outdoors is such a precious gift, and he was so right it is so better to share it with friends. He also taught me its not as easy as he made it look. He worked his tail off setting up stands, building pens, filling feeders, studying maps, etc. He did all the little things that made him the hunter he was. He made sure he involved me in everything, and that taught me so much on how you are really supposed to treat peope. Any question I asked, he always answered. No matter how trivial it was, he never made me feel dumb or stupid for asking he always took the time to explain it all to me.

That is what has made this ordeal so difficult for me, we did EVERYTHING together. Everywhere I look I see John. I am at his house right now typing this looking at the "Five / Deuce" Axis he killed last year. He was so proud of that deer. I keep waiting for the bedroom door to swing open and hear his normal greeting, "What's Up Chief???"

I am going to miss the phone calls so much. We didn't talk to each other for just 5 minutes, we had 30 and 45 minute phone calls. I'll never forget Jen saying to me once, "How's your best friend???" In a typical snotty wife voice!!! "He never wants to talk to his daughter, just his best buddy Matt!!!" And I told her remember that conversation back in January of 2000, "It would be so neat if you and my dad cold hunt together!!!" It was all your fault sweetie...

It never hit me until Thursday when all this started, John was my best friend in this world. I miss him so much and its only been about 24 hours. There is a big hole in my life right now, there is not enough time or space to tell you all the stories, and all the memories, all the lessons that man taught me, but I am going to do my best. It is my honor to pass his knowledge on to others...

I am working on the Eulogy that I am going to read Friday at his service, and I apologize for clogging up this thread, I know you guys and gals have plenty you want to share, but this process is really helping me to try and find things I can incorporate into my tribute to him...
            Keep em coming Matt,great stuff,
            You were very fortunate to have such a great guy for your father in law and best friend and it seems he was very fortunate as well to have you as a son inlaw
            God bless the whole Lee family

Comment

I found these on a work weekend thread from a couple years back. I thought it was strange that he was using a coke cup to hold his pepsi.
              Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff guys. Matt, you tell all the stories you want...it's good for you and for us. If Doc couldn't use up all Michael's bandwith you sure ain't gonna post too much!

Comment

Well my first meeting with John was June 29 1961 I do not remember it but he seemed to remember it well. He told me I looked like a lil girl when I was a Born. When I was 3 he thought it would be funny to have my girl cousins put me in a dress with a purse and a baby doll and take a pic....That pic is long GONE. When I was 5 he spent many hours teaching me to ride a bike. When I was 7 he worked everday teaching me to play baseball , telling me " If your going to do something you all ways give it 100% you don't have to be the best but you be the best you can be" ( I live by those words everyday) When I was 8 I started going with him to the marshes duck hunting. I was scared to shoot a gun and he never pushed me into it I just went and watched and learned . John always told me when I was ready I would shoot. I would not fire a gun other than a 22 even tho I would tell him I was ready and we would load up and go to the rifle range and I'd chicken out , he never was cross with me. John was going to find a way to get his "baby Brother" to enjoy the art of hunting. I was 11 years old we were hunting out of comstock Tx . John talked me into taking the old lever action 30-30 he told me I didn't have to shoot it just carry it. So I did , we walked those hill for what seemed like 10 miles throwing rocks in canyons to get the deer running. Well when we got to the deepest canyon in the very back of our pasture I thru a rock and a buck came out the otherside .The buck was running some 250 yrds away . John pulled up with his blonde 25-06 and shot. The buck rolled. We we slapping backs and laughing I told him I was about to shoot and he was happy about that. Well when we looked up the buck was running again. The only thing I remember was him yelling "Here is your chance Baby brother shoot him" . I shot that Buck on a dead run at 300 yrds with a 30-30 yeah I know I musta flinched it into him but I put him down. I think that day was one of the best days for him. He let me claim this buck even tho he knocked him down first . The buck was an 11 pt and for the time it was the biggest buck any of us had taken. And the man John was he stepped aside and made sure I knew the deer was mine. (john didn't know what he started because after that day he had to buy me a many a box of bullets) I look at this buck everday but its never ment as much to me as it does today. John was with me with every first I had ,other than dating ,,,but he had me well informed..wink . John tought me to blow a duck call and I had to pass his test before using it. He tought me to shoot rifles, shotguns and bows (John bought me my first bow). John was with me when I killed my first elk. John always told me I had the gift of always having the big deer come find me, What I had was the gift of a great teacher. He was my best man when I got married. John was my rock when I was down he knew just what to say to pick me up . So my memories of John D Lee span 47 years we sure had a lot of first and he sure liked seeing his baby brother succeed. John made me the man I am good or bad it was him. I shall miss him calling me everyday when he was driving home from work and so was I . I guess i'll have to call Matt. Good bye my brother you must be clearing the path again.

Comment

I am fairly new to this site but it's easy to recognize a good man through the respect given to him by others. Matt, I don't know you but you it appears to me you were thoroughly blessed to have Tuthdoc as a father in law. Bless you and your family and stay strong...let the good memories bring you through this time.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Bower. God bless you! Prayers continue for you and your family.

Comment

Mark - That was a great tribute! Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

Great stories Mark. Thanks for sharing them.

Your brother was a man among men.

Comment

Great remembrance Mark. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Comment

Outstanding tribute Mark.

It was easy to see your brother was a fine man by his participation here. Its especially nice to get the big picture from family.

Comment

I was lucky enough to share the Lewis Ranch campfire with John.......when his truck layed down on him. I'm not a mechanic by a stretch but Joey, Scribner, Jason, and myself were able to fix him up, granted it was via some un-sanctioned tool use. John taught us that day, in a round-about way, that 3 men and two big crescent wrenches are a suitable substitute for an inch and 5/16 socket.

I'll never forget that night when I went to bed, and my wife said to me "I've never seen you in such a hurry to work on someone else's truck". To which I replied "You've never met anyone like Tuthdoc!". And she said "I know...."

She told me last week whein I was having a hard time with this, how she knew the first time I introduced her to John, how much I respected him, and how it showed among all of us in camp. She knew immediately how much we all thought of him........without any of us saying a word. That in my mind is what sepparates men like John from the rest.
                                That will stick in my mind from now on.

Comment

Working...
                                X