No announcement yet.

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the jet boil and love it. I usually run mountain house meals for dinner. Take peanut butter bagels for breakfast. I take emerg c powder and mio for water to help with taste and vitamins. Didn't realize till a couple yrs ago the importance of gaiters. Learned the hard about having boots that weren't big enough and it tore my feet up. Don't realize the importance until you go down steep hills or up. I also take a silk liner for sleeping bag. Helps with dirt and can be used as a stand alone blanket if not too cold. Having an extra pair of dry socks and liners is huge during long hikes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome thread. First time in 4 years I will be missing a high country Colorado hunt. I'll be chasing pronghorn in Wyoming come October. I'll post some of my gear that's worked great for me soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        I'm on a keto lifestyle so I plan to pack pecans, jerky and a few bags of tuna and salmon. I'd really like to avoid a bunch of individually packaged items. I'll buy 2 boxes of Atkins Harvest trail dark chocolate and sea salt nut bars, unwrap and put them all in one big ziplock. Also ordering some keto instant coffee from amazon and plan to spike all my drinking water with an electrolyte powder mix.
        This was EXACTLY my original plan, as well...BUT...

I was strict keto diet for two months in March and April (plus on and off after) and I credit Keto (and IF) with me losing over 20 pounds (in addition to the 10 I lost in several months prior to Keto) to jump start my training for September. My plan, before my Memorial weekend trip, was to spend 4+ months ahead of my hunt in keto to become fully fat adapted. That would allow me to fuel my initial hike in with simple carbs (to quickly restore muscle glycogen) and then quickly get back into ketosis for lower impact hunting/glassing days. I went into my scouting trip in Keto and brought lots of fat and plenty of protein for that trip. I even brought heavy cream powder, butter powder, a few individual packets of ghee, some chocolate mct oil powder and even a container of MCT oil along with a shaker bottle and enjoyed my Keto Coffee both mornings. I didn't enjoy either when they came back up, though! (In fact, although I was able to start drinking keto coffee again after a few weeks, I still can't stomach the chocolate MCT oil powder! )

My initial problem is that I forgot to get enough of the carbs for the hike in. After eating a Quest bar and choking down an F Bomb Macadamia Nut butter packet, I simply couldn't make myself eat the other dense foods I brought until I forced myself to eat half a Packit Gourmet All American Works Burger (no tortilla), which soon came back up, as well. Combined with dehydration and/or altitude sickness, it was a rough go, physically!

I still think there is some merit to the idea, but I decided that since I don't live in the mountains that my September hunt isn't the right time to continue testing my theory. I opted to loosely follow Kyle Kamp's suggestions from the Hunt BackCountry Podcast for this trip.

If I was going in with a keto/fat adapted mindset, I'd still follow his (and Thomas DeLauer's) recommendation to fuel high exertion/endurance days frequently with quickly digestible (simple) carbs to keep muscle glycogen full and then revert back to keto at times of low impact. I'd also make sure to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate (with plenty of electrolytes!)

I'll be curious to hear how your plan holds up.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Well, here's the video version of what I posted above for those that don't like to read!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8GgT7MNKs"]Layering System for Backcountry Bow Hunt - First Lite, Kuiu, WoolX - YouTube[/ame]
          In this video I (p)review my layering system for my first backcountry hunt. I was fortunate to find a great deal on First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants, Minaret...
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            This was EXACTLY my original plan, as well...BUT...

)b
            Well, I'm ordering my stuff early so I can sample and be sure it doesn't taste aweful and I can keep it down. I've been on keto (with a few breaks) for pretty much a full year now. Individuals differ I'm sure and I've learned that I can run on fat just fine. I've run up to 6 miles on keto fairly frequently with no ill effects. I do realize a 1 hour run may not compare with all day hiking so I'll take your advice though and pack some just-in-case carbs.

Comment

Well, I'm ordering my stuff early so I can sample and be sure it doesn't taste aweful and I can keep it down. I've been on keto (with a few breaks) for pretty much a full year now. Individuals differ I'm sure and I've learned that I can run on fat just fine. I've run up to 6 miles on keto fairly frequently with no ill effects. I do realize a 1 hour run may not compare with all day hiking so I'll take your advice though and pack some just-in-case carbs.
              I imagine you're pretty well "fat adapted" at this point (meaning you can probably consume some additional carbs and yet ketones remain your body's preferred fuel source and you'll either remain in ketosis or get back in very efficiently and quickly.)

Studies show (according to TD) that fat adapted ultra athletes utilize muscle glycogen more efficiently, which means that it doesn't require the amount or frequency of carbs to maintain or replenish muscle glycogen. This should (in theory) allow you to slightly bump carbs before and during strenuous hikes to feed muscle glycogen but still retain the benefits of energy and mental clarity from ketones, especially on less active days.

I (a) wasn't fat adapted and (b) don't have the luxury of testing the theory (in the mountains) again before September, so I'm taking a more conservative approach with this one. The risk, IMO, is that your body is working so much harder to repair damage and keep up with reduced oxygen to the blood stream (and organs), etc. that it places a low priority on food digestion and simply rejects slow digesting, dense food items.

I still believe it can be an effective (and even preferred) strategy, though.

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this thread into a nutrition/keto discussion. Carry on!
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

If y'all like the taste of Horse & Mule sweet feed....these are great!

I managed to get 1 bite down!

Kind Crandberry Almond bars along with jerky from now on. Staying hydrated knocks down your hunger pains.
                Last edited by Traildust; 07-18-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

On a gear note, I have a buying problem and now have both a 1.9lb mummy bag inbound as well as a 1lb down blanket/quilt. I’m very excited about the quilt. No, it’s not Enlightened Equipment but has great reviews and with my bag liner as a backup I don’t have a concern about being warm.

The quilt can be found on massdrop. Full disclosure this is my personal referral link and I get $10 if anyone signs up and buys something. Please delete if not ok. https://www.massdrop.com/transaction...referer=T3Y8JW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On a gear note, I have a buying problem and now have both a 1.9lb mummy bag inbound as well as a 1lb down blanket/quilt. I’m very excited about the quilt. No, it’s not Enlightened Equipment but has great reviews and with my bag liner as a backup I don’t have a concern about being warm.

The quilt can be found on massdrop. Full disclosure this is my personal referral link and I get $10 if anyone signs up and buys something. Please delete if not ok. https://www.massdrop.com/transaction...referer=T3Y8JW

If you haven't slept in a double wall tent yet, you will be impressed with how much warmer they are than a single wall. Scouting at 8600' two weeks ago, it was ~40 outside at night, I was in my tent with my 20 degree bag, and hot sleeping in shorts. To the point I opened my bag and slept with just the bag liner.

Comment

Well, here's the video version of what I posted above for those that don't like to read!

Layering System for Backcountry Bow Hunt - First Lite, Kuiu, WoolX - YouTube
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE8GgT7MNKs
                      Micheal, great video like always I like your choices in gear I think you’re pretty well covered.

I own the FL sawtooth jacket and the uncompahgre puffy jacket which is just like the cirrus but with a hood. I love my sawtooth and wear it a lot, with the pockets high so you can use them while wearing your pack and it being insulated in places your backpack does not touch it’s perfect for wearing while hiking when it’s cold. As far as the puffy pack jacket I only put it on when I’ve stopped to glass and have cooled off from being active, and sitting around camp at night. I take both jackets with me on just about every backcountry hunt. Like anything it’s all up to personal preference. I personally do not like to get cold and don’t mind packing puffy pants and a jacket even if I don’t use them, but have them just in case the weather gets bad.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                        Micheal, great video like always I like your choices in gear I think you’re pretty well covered.

I own the FL sawtooth jacket and the uncompahgre puffy jacket which is just like the cirrus but with a hood. I love my sawtooth and wear it a lot, with the pockets high so you can use them while wearing your pack and it being insulated in places your backpack does not touch it’s perfect for wearing while hiking when it’s cold. As far as the puffy pack jacket I only put it on when I’ve stopped to glass and have cooled off from being active, and sitting around camp at night. I take both jackets with me on just about every backcountry hunt. Like anything it’s all up to personal preference. I personally do not like to get cold and don’t mind packing puffy pants and a jacket even if I don’t use them, but have them just in case the weather gets bad.
                        Thanks for the input! I'm wavering on both the Sawtooth and Kuiu base layer bottoms. I'll probably take both with me and make the decision at the trailhead based on weather forecast and pack weight at the time.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

It's overkill for a week-long hunt, but I just finished dehydrating ingredients to make my own meals for my trip. But (at least for my first trip) the planning and preparation is part of the "experience" for me!
                          I've put together and tested a couple of test meals yesterday and today.

Shepherd's Pie - hearty and tasty! Very likely to make the rotation!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5291.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	24546653

Seafood/corn Chowda!

This was fantastic! A few tweaks and this might be on the menu a couple of different nights!

Chili or Stroganoff are up next in the taste lab.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks for the input! I'm wavering on both the Sawtooth and Kuiu base layer bottoms. I'll probably take both with me and make the decision at the trailhead based on weather forecast and pack weight at the time.
                            I’ve definitely moved to kuiu base bottoms. Why nobody else offers zip off bottoms is something I don’t understand haha. Way better to zip them off and pull them out than to take off everything else to get them off

Comment

There's been a lot of great equipment recommendations so far. I want to give some kernels of experience as a hunter, backpacker and alpine climber (when I was younger and much lighter). If some of these are redundant I apologise.

Socks - wool s best in my book. I wear smartwool
                              Stoves- canister stoves may have trouble at higher elevations or colder temps. If I am above 10, I use the tried n true white gas. If I'm really packing light I use a homemade alcohol stove
                              Sleeping- I went to a light three season tent with a 28 degree bag and a liner. Saved about a pound and if it got below 20 I just put more clothes on. I've been good to 15 degrees with that setup. If you expect snow there is an extra risk. A two person tent split between two is lighter than a a one person. Make sure you can stand each other. I like my own tent however.

Don't skimp on a pad. It's not for comfort. It's there to keep you from freezing to death.

Shoes- I don't wear boots. I wear non lined hikers. If your feet can get wet, they will. Non lined will dry quicker

Pack all dry items in a trash bag. Don't rely on pack covers alone. If it really gets bad that plastic bag may save your feet. Save your feet, save your life.

Learn how to locate yourself with just a map. Then take a map and compass as backup.

I take two poles. I used to get ribbed by serious climbers for taking poles but it's about energy consumption. The less my legs have work balancing me, the further they can go. This becomes more important as you reach my age.

Practice packing and unpacking your pack until it will balance itself.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                                I’ve definitely moved to kuiu base bottoms. Why nobody else offers zip off bottoms is something I don’t understand haha. Way better to zip them off and pull them out than to take off everything else to get them off
                                Ditto!! Mind blowing

Comment

Working...
                                X