No announcement yet.

The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of really good posts on here. When I did AT I learned that it was not about ounces it was more about what you did not need to carry at all. Several posts touch on that. Do look at hiking stuff as these folks (especially cottage industry like z-packs) have taken ultra-light to a whole different level. People talked about Osprey packs I absolutely love my Osptey Exos 58 L but the reality is it’s probably too small for hunting trip.

Comment

Cut weight where you can. The jet boil is good and so is the pocket rocket . Below is what I carried on the AT for six months. Every meal on the trail I ate was prepared in that pot . The titanium coffee cup was a luxury item . You may or may not be able to roll without it. I’m thinking for hunting you should take into consideration a very light weight windscreen for your stove . I never had any real issues, but hunting in mountains you may?

Snowpeak Litemax Stove
      Snowpeak 700 ml pot
      Sea to Summit sport
      Toaks coffe cup (Snow pink makes one as well and it’s a few grams lighter, but more expensive).

The coffee cup nests inside of the larger pot . A plastic almond lid fits perfect on the coffee cup enabling you to carry stove in the cup along with a small lighter. A small fuel canister would also fit into the pot but together the coffee cup and fuel canister would not fit unfortunately .

This set up is not cheap is about as late as you could get out before you go to homemade alcohol fuel stoves which I really don’t recommend. I believe all of these items are available at REI .

Another thing to consider is how big of a fuel canister you’ll carry . The little ones go further than you think but you’ll start getting nervous when they feel very light . Whatever you do just don’t leave your fuel canister screwed onto your stove when you go to bed. You will lose fuel. Preparing a hot dinner and coffee in the morning a little canister should last a week .

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCCB2C06-46EE-4D70-BAEE-9DAB599F4EB5.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	24546528

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
        They are really nice. I don't take it on some shorter trips. But sometimes we are back in 10-12 days
        I have the 18” kifaru Smith, the burn time is pretty quick but when you get a ft of snow and teen temps out of no where it’s a life saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It's overkill for a week-long hunt, but I'm dehydrating some meals now for my trip. I'm making enough to test several different meals before I leave. I may end up back at Mountain House!

The Exo guys ((huntbackcountry) have a pretty good podcast regarding backcountry nutrition, if you're into podcasts. Episode 124 - Food to Fuel Backcountry Performance.
          What is the name of their podcast? I searched and couldn't find anything, but nutrition is always interesting. Can make a great hunt go bad if you don't eat right and are a days hike into the mountains.

Comment

The hunt backcountry pod cast.

Has a mountain goat on the logo

Comment

What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                What are you guys using for a water system? I have a sawyer squeeze that I am going to modify to run in line on a big hanging bladder for camp.

Then I also just ordered a sterapPEN. I went with the classic that takes AA batteries.

I'm considering running one of these inline on my hydro bladder. They also screw on to a smart water bottle which makes for an easy water fill assuming you find a water source you can get the bottle under. Also grabbed a life straw for $9.99 on prime day.

Comment

Steripen and iodine. Forget the sawyer at home

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                    Steripen and iodine. Forget the sawyer at home
                    This. I bring my MSR pump in my truck just in case, but I get nervous that one accidental drop, and the ceramic filter cracks. SteriPEN and Iodine is the way to go. Save weight too.

It also helps the creeks by us are clear, cold, and filled with native trout. If it was muddy water I would consider the MSR pump.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                      I'm considering running one of these inline on my hydro bladder. They also screw on to a smart water bottle which makes for an easy water fill assuming you find a water source you can get the bottle under. Also grabbed a life straw for $9.99 on prime day.

https://smile.amazon.com/Versa-Light...AHFJB0GQ6MG6YY
                      Only bad thing about inline and steripen is in areas that you have to get water out of a rock seep,(had to use hydration tube and syphon before) it can be a chore compared to a pump. But that’s a very small percentage of places.

MSR Trailshot is only 5oz, best back up to my steripen I have found.
                      Last edited by Texans42; 07-17-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                        Cut weight where you can. The jet boil is good and so is the pocket rocket . Below is what I carried on the AT for six months. Every meal on the trail I ate was prepared in that pot . The titanium coffee cup was a luxury item . You may or may not be able to roll without it. I’m thinking for hunting you should take into consideration a very light weight windscreen for your stove . I never had any real issues, but hunting in mountains you may?

Snowpeak Litemax Stove

Snowpeak 700 ml pot

Sea to Summit sport

Toaks coffe cup (Snow pink makes one as well and it’s a few grams lighter, but more expensive).

The coffee cup nests inside of the larger pot . A plastic almond lid fits perfect on the coffee cup enabling you to carry stove in the cup along with a small lighter. A small fuel canister would also fit into the pot but together the coffee cup and fuel canister would not fit unfortunately .

This set up is not cheap is about as late as you could get out before you go to homemade alcohol fuel stoves which I really don’t recommend. I believe all of these items are available at REI .

Another thing to consider is how big of a fuel canister you’ll carry . The little ones go further than you think but you’ll start getting nervous when they feel very light . Whatever you do just don’t leave your fuel canister screwed onto your stove when you go to bed. You will lose fuel. Preparing a hot dinner and coffee in the morning a little canister should last a week .

[ATTACH]916004[/ATTACH]
                        Your AT excursion was awesome and provided a lot of insight regarding gear that translates (or doesn't) to backcountry hunting.

I bought the Jetboil MicroMo at REI (in Dillon CO) during their Memorial Weekend sale. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase because it was priced right.

I had a small, light, very cheap burner and pot, but the JB burns MUCH more efficiently than that setup, even in wind. I think it's 12 oz (including the plastic cup and fuel stand) and is all self contained, including small fuel canister. I'm amazed at how quickly and efficiently it will boil water. A single small fuel canister should last around 10 days cooking breakfast/coffee and evening dinners each day, which can quickly make up for any weight advantages of other burners that may not burn as efficiently and require extra fuel.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

I'm running the Steri Adventurer Opti. With iodine pills as back up. So far I've been really happy with it.

Comment

I have a Platypus 3 liter bag with an inline Sawyer Mini. I ran that in May, and I didn't like it (while I was hiking). It was "work" to suck the water through the filter and tube, especially when it came to the choice of sucking wind or water! LOL! I think dehydration was an issue for me, in part because of the difficulty in drinking. I was able to use that system as a gravity feed to fill my shaker bottle, and that worked better. I just need to take a larger bottle in September to make sure I'm consuming enough.

I have a second Sawyer Mini that I took on that trip, but I forgot my squeeze bag. It will attach directly to a Smartwater bottle, but I didn't have that either. I'm still trying to decide if it makes sense to run two of the same type of filtration systems.

One issue with the filters is if they freeze with water in them, the elements can break and render the filter useless. I've been considering going with the Steripen as either primary or backup option. I also have some tablets. That said, my hunting partner will have a separate system, so a backup probably isn't really necessary. I can also boil water in a pinch.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great thread so far! Lots of good info!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                I have a Platypus 3 liter bag with an inline Sawyer Mini. I ran that in May, and I didn't like it (while I was hiking). It was "work" to suck the water through the filter and tube, especially when it came to the choice of sucking wind or water! LOL! I think dehydration was an issue for me, in part because of the difficulty in drinking. I was able to use that system as a gravity feed to fill my shaker bottle, and that worked better. I just need to take a larger bottle in September to make sure I'm consuming enough.

I have a second Sawyer Mini that I took on that trip, but I forgot my squeeze bag. It will attach directly to a Smartwater bottle, but I didn't have that either. I'm still trying to decide if it makes sense to run two of the same type of filtration systems.

One issue with the filters is if they freeze with water in them, the elements can break and render the filter useless. I've been considering going with the Steripen as either primary or backup option. I also have some tablets. That said, my hunting partner will have a separate system, so a backup probably isn't really necessary. I can also boil water in a pinch.

The MRS gaurdian is freeze safe. It’s heavy but very efficient, filter a lot of water quick. In Idaho we paired it the the Nalgene 96oz flex canteens for camp... I also stuck it in my buddies pack

Comment

Working...
                                X