No announcement yet.

A Word on Single Bevel Broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another video showing free (non restricted) rotation of the blade.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Rick

Comment

I did do the video showing how sharp the single bevel can be. The rotation was an unintended second attraction.

The "Reason" I did the video is I hear a lot of folks saying, that you can't get a single bevel (especially a steep angle single bevel) as sharp as a double bevel.

That/Their assumption is "FALSE", and only a reflection on their sharpening skills.

Rick

Comment

What was the point of that video?
        The difficulty of cutting the grape with the broadhead, despite sawing at it (even while saying you're not sawing), seems to run counter to the claim that the broadhead is as sharp as the knife.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          What was the point of that video?
          The difficulty of cutting the grape with the broadhead, despite sawing at it (even while saying you're not sawing), seems to run counter to the claim that the broadhead is as sharp as the knife.
          All I have to say to that is - Try it. You might then understand it.

Some folks will try to dispute just about anything, especially when they have a hard time understanding the things they are looking at.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            All I have to say to that is - Try it. You might then understand it.

Some folks will try to dispute just about anything, especially when they have a hard time understanding the things they are looking at.

Rick
            Well that's the thing isn't. Some folks don't want to go out and actually put in the effort to try something different. That costs time and money. And there isn't anything wrong with that. But when somebody comes by and tries to prove a point, then the answer "go and try it for yourself" doesn't really do much to validate the point. If you are trying to prove a point, then the onus is on the presenter to prove it... not necessarily on the observer to prove it for themselves.

This goes against most folks who like to innovate stuff's grain. A common thing I like to say, when I feel like being snarky is "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

But I know deep down that is pretty snarky and not the way the real world works is if you really want to be influential in what you are trying to do... Your messaging and explanation has to be spot on... and not in how YOU see it, but how others see it. Taking feedback on "I don't get it" and massaging your explanation/messaging is paramount for helping people "get it"... IF that is important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              Well that's the thing isn't. Some folks don't want to go out and actually put in the effort to try something different. That costs time and money. And there isn't anything wrong with that. But when somebody comes by and tries to prove a point, then the answer "go and try it for yourself" doesn't really do much to validate the point. If you are trying to prove a point, then the onus is on the presenter to prove it... not necessarily on the observer to prove it for themselves.

This goes against most folks who like to innovate stuff's grain. A common thing I like to say, when I feel like being snarky is "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

But I know deep down that is pretty snarky and not the way the real world works is if you really want to be influential in what you are trying to do... Your messaging and explanation has to be spot on... and not in how YOU see it, but how others see it. Taking feedback on "I don't get it" and massaging your explanation/messaging is paramount for helping people "get it"... IF that is important to you.
              OK, I LOLed at this, because - if you can't understand it in the video, then there's no way to make you understand it, "other than" telling you to go try it.

I went out of my way to try to contribute something to the community, and to dispel any wives tales there may be about single bevel broadheads. I didn't have to, but thought it might be informative, and useful for "some".

Slicing a soft & mushy grape without crushing, or tearing it is very difficult without a "very sharp" blade. Introduce a very thick single bevel blade, and the difficulty is greatly amplified, yet this single bevel did the trick.

Is there anything to be misunderstood there?

There have been several guys see these videos who make their living by producing quality & sharp blades. They were impressed, because, well because they understand it.

YMMV.

Rick
              Last edited by RickBarbee; 05-23-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

So, the Single Bevel head makes animals more dead because the head cuts better?
                I am just stirring the pot a little, Sorry Rick.
                You are right in that, "If you don't get it through the video then you have to just try it yourself."
                - Ever tied a horse to a trough, they still won't drink.

Comment

Good videos! Don't let them get you down. You're doing it right. Once you pique their curiousity it's up to them to do some reading and youtubing.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    Good videos! Don't let them get you down. You're doing it right. Once you pique their curiousity it's up to them to do some reading and youtubing.
                    Thanks.

The last thing I'll do is let anyone get me down.
                    They won't get me to give in either.

All I can do is lay out there.

Rick

P.S.
                    For those of you sharpening challenged folk:
                    Send your broadheads to me.
                    I'll get them so sharp it'll make your eyes bleed to look at them.
                    For a nominal fee of course.

Comment

I don’t think anyone is trying to get anyone down. I was simply confused as to what the purpose was. The knife in the video threw me even further off. I thought the purpose was to show that you can slice a grape just as thin with that thick broad head as you can with a knife. Now that I know it was to show that you can get a broadhead like that sharp I know what the purpose was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Man oh man!! Somebody cares A LOT about the minutia of single-bevel broadheads.

More power to ya, but my G5s work just fine and I'll keep using them.

The condescension doesn't serve to connect you with your audience, if you're looking for input on your delivery. First one is free!

Comment

Psh, one grape? Step your game up.
                          https://giphy.com/gifs/2xF8cNKui0gvyrRNJN

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                            Psh, one grape? Step your game up.
                            https://giphy.com/gifs/2xF8cNKui0gvyrRNJN

In case you didn't notice - That single bevel broadhead isn't long enough to do that.

Rick

Comment

The condescension doesn't serve to connect you with your audience, if you're looking for input on your delivery. First one is free!
                              What bow you shooting?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to switch to a different broadhead.
                                I'm only trying to dispel the "myth" some few believe, that you can't get a single bevel broadhead as sharp as a double bevel.

As far as the condescension thing is concerned, I point it back when it's pointed at me, but only after it's pointed at me.
                                Character flaw (maybe), but at this stage of my life I doubt I'll change any.
                                That one's free also.

David (Dkincaid), I knew what you were saying. No problemo Bro.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X