Able operated dump trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Able operated dump trailer

Maybe you guys have seen something like this. I have an older 7x18’ bumper pull and I want to turn it into a dump. Build insert and have it lifted via over heard 12 winch. Anyone done this and have pics/explanation on operation. Pics are welcome. My plans have a center post welded in front, braced at all 4 sides and run a winch cable up/over and hook into the dump to lift it. I am not spending 9k on a hyd. dump

Something along these lines? NovaJack trailer

Ran across a thread where a guy built his own, but mounted the winch low and built his own block/tackle to lift it. Dump trailer thread
    He eventually said the thing moved too slow for his tastes, but he has some good drawings of the block/tackle setup.

Interesting idea you've got here...

Comment

I don't think you'll get it high enough to dump out.

Comment

Yep. Those things have to almost stand straight up to dump everything.

Comment

what do you plan on hauling? How often will it be used.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
            what do you plan on hauling? How often will it be used.
            Mainly old/cut up lumber 2x4, 2x6 etc. and an occasional small,load of caliche to fill in holes in the yard at my work location. 99 percent will be cut up lumber

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
              Mainly old/cut up lumber 2x4, 2x6 etc. and an occasional small,load of caliche to fill in holes in the yard at my work location. 99 percent will be cut up lumber

That should dump out easier, but I’d still look for a deal on a hydraulic dump. **** those things are handy! I want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                That should dump out easier, but I’d still look for a deal on a hydraulic dump. **** those things are handy!

I definitely agree but I am trying to poor boy this one. It’s hard to justify the cost. I might get lucky and find a deal on a used one some day

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
                  I definitely agree but I am trying to poor boy this one. It’s hard to justify the cost. I might get lucky and find a deal on a used one some day

This has the feel of a deal that will cost you almost as much to poor boy, with poor results...as it would to do it right.

And I have definitely done that before![emoji1360]

Comment

saved ya $3k... https://houston.craigslist.org/trb/d...977619130.html

Comment

We have a 6x12 dump trailer, bumper pull. Mostly haul crushed limestone in it, 8,000#. Pretty sure it's a 5" cylinder on it.

You would need a very stout winch. For every pulley you add, you will increase your pulling power, but decrease the overall speed. 1 pulley= 2:1 reduction (if rigged correctly). 10,000lb winch would deliver 20,000lb pull. If it was 20ft a minute, it would now take 2 minutes because it has to recover twice the amount of cable. The other factor to consider is how much cable is on the drum. A 10,000lb winch is strongest with the first wrap of cable against the drum/spool. Every layer of cable that is "stacked" upon the last layer will deliver a dramatically lower power. Many of the manufactures will have charts showing actual line-layer pull power for their winches.

A used dump trailer is probably your best bet.

If you still want to build your own, then I would suggest installing a dump-bed kit on your pick up, or build a dump bed on a pick-up-bed trailer.

Comment

not cable operated, but a 100% poor boy dump trailer. Maybe give you some ideas.

The only expense I had was new hydraulic hoses, and the PTO shaft. $250 total. A neighbor gave me the truck. Motor was trash, and the cab was rotten. I relocated the original pump, and run it off a tractor. It works great.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                          not cable operated, but a 100% poor boy dump trailer. Maybe give you some ideas.

The only expense I had was new hydraulic hoses, and the PTO shaft. $250 total. A neighbor gave me the truck. Motor was trash, and the cab was rotten. I relocated the original pump, and run it off a tractor. It works great.
                          That’s pretty slick, thanks for posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Dale is right, just do the math on the angles. That winch is gonna have to be up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post

Outstanding! Could you not just run hoses with Q/D straight to the back of your tractor...directly to the lift cylinder? Anyhow, love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X