Lake Meredith Public hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Meredith Public hunt

I’m going with a buddy out to Lake Meredith to go after a Muley. He’s been there before but I haven’t. Looking for any advice from those that have hunted it before. Anything from good places to go, tactics, gear you wish you had etc. Any advice would be welcome. Also it would make it easier if we could get access through private land to get to some of the more remote areas of the reserve. We’re both responsible and respectful adults so if anyone has connections I’d be much obliged. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bow, rifle or shotgun?

Comment

If y'all plan on hunting Evan's Canyon go in from Plum Creek and you should plan on staying the night. I saw tons of does but I never made it out there at sunrise due to the walk until the last day when I decided to stay the night with one of those aluminum mylar blankets. I glassed from the top of the canyon and was the only day I saw a buck, unfortunately he was on the other side of the fence and I lost site of him before he crossed. Also, don't get to close to the water because you can be stepping on dry land and then you have a knee deep in water next step, it caught me out a few times when I was walking to and from blue west camp grounds. Some of the locals I ran into on the road, told me to check out Devils Canyon but, I didn't get a chance.

Comment

I am out there every weekend bow hunting but mostly just getting a good workout and scouting for gun season right now. It is extremely tough out there, it has been too hot so the mosquitoes are horrible and the deer are bedding down before 8:00am so you have 1/2 hour of light to find them before it gets really tough!

- Get to where you want to glass BEFORE sunup, hike in the dark!
        - Bring lots of water and mosquito repellent

If I were you, go into Fritch Tx or hangout at the boat ramp and find some one with a boat, pay them $$$ to boat you to Evans canyon. Make camp and hunt Evans! If I only had a boat that would be the key to easier success.

Comment

Good optics are key. If your'e hunting for mule deer like you are for whitetails you will not have much luck. They are in the canyons bedding during the day. They get up periodically thoughout the day to browse and bed back down. Once they pick their spot for the day they wont go far. Don't skylight yourself. When glassing look for obvious deer movement walking around 1st and then position yourself to look into the SHADY sides of bushes and cover. The deer will get up and re position themselves as the sun moves the shadows throughout the day. We've gone 6 years in a row in early bow season and finally filled a tag a couple weeks ago. It's very intimidating country the 1st few times you hike it but just learn ad much as you can everytime. Does and fawns, while they are off limits are about the best tools in my opinion to learn the behavior of these mulies. You can watch them for hours within bow range while glassing the canyons for other deer. It also keeps you on your toes being close to deer. Heres a link to my write up on my most recent trip...

Nothing beats putting in time

Comment

Has anyone been at Lake Meredith lately, heading out to Pampa for work on Monday and thinking about swinging by for an evening hunt. I'm new to the forum and to bowhunting so I'm still trying to figure things out. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Hunt one of the archery only areas.

Comment

Was out there this past weekend. But we went far off the beaten path and it was my first hunt there. Will say good optics are a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is definitely some hard hunting. The first time I went up there two years ago, I planned to go for a whole week to give me time to learn the place and try to understand the deer some. Never hunted mule deer. They are very different from whitetail. My plans to go for a week around Thanksgiving got screwed up, then the week after Thanksgiving got screwed up and it got down to the last weekend of mule deer season. I was ****** off. So said screw it and took off anyway, drove 12 hours up there. Got there on a Friday night about 12:30, camped out, really had no idea what the place looked like. Got up the next day, it was down in the 20s, frost all over everything, did not realize how cold it was, till I realized I could not feel my fingers when trying to load up all of my gear to head out. They had had a blizzard up there the week before, a lot of people had gotten stranded. There was still snow on the ground, on the north sides of the hills.

I hiked about 14 miles that first day, saw absolutely nothing other than other hunters. I saw a lot of coyote tracks, two A holes on horses, everywhere I went. turns out they were from a ranch next door and spent the whole day riding up and down every canyon, gulley trying to run the deer out of there. Late that afternoon, I saw them go through a gate and back to a neighboring ranch.
                  Some areas looked had a lot of coyote activity, but I never saw one, I heard a bunch when the sun came up. I jumped a bunch of large coveys of quail. Not a single deer.
                  Then I got up Sunday morning, the last day of mule deer season and decided to try another spot. Went out found a six point following a group of doe, I shot him at about 175 yards. Gutted him, loaded him up in the truck and went home. One day was hard hunting and saw nothing, the next, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
                  I went back last year, spent about four days up there. I think I saw one mule deer, pretty **** sure I saw one big mule deer. But at the time, I was not sure, it was bedded down and would have been extremely hard to get closer to where the deer was, without it taking off and me having absolutely no shot at it. So I decided it was not a mule deer. But I went back to the same spot the next morning and there was nothing in the same spot. I saw lots of coyotes on the second trip and then quite a few quail.

Comment

Anybody have any success in the 2018 season? Plan on going out there for mulies this coming year and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Was planning on hunting Evans canyon, any other suggestions?

Are there any other places with a high likely hood of seeing whitetail or mule deer?

Comment

Lake Meredith public hunt

My Father and I are also planning a trip this year to try and get him a Mulie. We have never been ourselves so any more help or info would be greatly appreciated. I have some friends that live in Amarillo and we used to go hunt with them along the Canadian River but he said that is closed down now so thinking this may be another option!! I'm told it can get very populated with heavy hunting pressure during season so hoping that is not true.

Do you have to have a Type-2 permit to hunt here?

Comment

We went and scouted it for 2 days. Dint see a live animals anywhere. Beautiful country tho.

Comment

Went out with a group in 2018 over thanksgiving weekend. We hiked the west side of the canyons up to Evans Canyon. It was a rough hike; not one I’d make on a day trip or if you are planning on camping near the truck. The wind picked up on our second day there. So much a shot would be greatly effected if something even dared to move in it. We decided to cut the trip a day early. We saw mule deer in every canyon but Evans; all does though. There were several groups of hunters we ran into or saw on the west side of the lake, heard several shots on the east side of the river, and saw lots of areas that looked like they’d be fun to hunt on the south end of the hunting grounds. It was our first year to visit Meredith. We intend on going back but may adjust our plans a bit after having made the first trip. Beautiful views for a guy from the Dallas area.

Comment

I keep hearing the hiking is rough. Need trekking poles or just rough terrain compared to the relative flatlands everywhere else?

Comment

Have they solved the horse hunter issue? I heard they would drive deer with horses and basically blow out the whole canyon.

Comment

Working...
                              X