No announcement yet.

Hummingbirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been running 10 feeders all year, most I was able to count and keep up with was 83 at one time, and there were many more in the trees. We fill all ten feeders every other day. Need to figure out how to build a feeder out of a 5 gallon bucket!

Comment

They have been surrounding my bottlebrush trees in my backyard. Usually 5 at a time.

Comment

I have a couple of feeders going...but only 2-3...some of you are living right...by far the coolest little guys in the skies!!! ��������

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
          The last couple days I’ve had several fighting over the feeders but they haven’t been that thick. Hope more show up, they put on one heck of a show.
          Originally posted by Keith View Post
          WOW, I though we had a lot, but I'm filling 2 feeders about once a week. I've also got a couple of bullies that guard the feeder and won't let any others drink. They only get to drink when the bullies are away for a few seconds. I just commented to my wife 15 minutes ago that they were really thick this morning and saw at least a dozen around one feeder at one time.
          They’ve finally made a resurgence here in Forney the last few weeks.

And yes Keith...I see all these videos of dozens or more harmonizing with each other at the same feeders all the time.
          That seems so strange to me since my “regulars” seldom play nice with one another.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
            They’ve finally made a resurgence here in Forney the last few weeks.

And yes Keith...I see all these videos of dozens or more harmonizing with each other at the same feeders all the time.
            That seems so strange to me since my “regulars” seldom play nice with one another.
            When there’s only a few, there’s always “that guy”, but when you have 50-60 or more, there’s always one that puts him in his place.

Comment

Had a presumed ruby-throated hummingbird show up this morning with pied plumage. The flecks of the gorget are green so the species is not truly known.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                When I take pics of them against the sky like that, I cannot get good colors. I get dark sillouettes. I go into the yard and shoot with them against the house backdrop and get good colors.
                I wonder if it is a camera setting?

It's a back lighting issue, depending on the ability to manually adjust the settings on your camera you may not be able to fix it.

Comment

I had to stop feeding because the kept getting trapped in my shop and dying. Had/have two in there yesterday from having the shop doors open. I have a 14x14 and 12x12 shop doors and they can get in, but can't figure out how to fly out.

Comment

We usually go 7-10 days between refills on 2 feeders. As I mentioned, we have a couple of bullies that prevent most other hummingbirds from feeding much. This morning I noticed one of the feeders was completely empty and the other had about 2 ounces left. The last refill only lasted 48 hours.

Comment

I have a feeder that hooks to a 2 liter soda bottle I use during migration. Sometimes they'll drain it in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                        Had a presumed ruby-throated hummingbird show up this morning with pied plumage. The flecks of the gorget are green so the species is not truly known.

That’s unique. Wow!

Comment

Hummingbirds

My folks live at 8700’ in Colorado and get tons. Dad took this pic a couple weeks ago.

Comment

^^Beautiful Picture!

Comment

Save the nectar and plant one of these. Requires zero water after its established. Cut it back in the late winter. We see dozens of hummingbirds on ours daily.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                                My folks live at 8700’ in Colorado and get tons. Dad took this pic a couple weeks ago.

Awesome picture!!

Comment

Working...
                                X