No announcement yet.

What's your Trad arrow Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

29" cedar shafst, 5" traditonal cut turkey feathers with stone points.

Comment

Based on the setups similar to mine it looks like if I want to cut my arrows down a bit ill definitely need to add a bunch of weight up front. I have the gold tip inserts and field point test kit coming in today so looking forward to messing around with them.

Comment

2 set ups here, not sure which one im going to be hunting with mainly

Tradtech Titan Ilf riser with 47# Uukha limbs
        arrow specs-400 spine Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
        31''
        50 grain insert
        150 grain VPA 2blade broadhead
        total arrow weight 475 grains with lighted nocks as well

that is my fastest setup ive ever ran but I have hybrid omega longbow that is spitting out

31'' beman isc bowhunters 400 spine
        100 grain insert
        125 grain 2 blade magnus stingers

total arrow weight is 450

Comment

Black Widow PL longbow, 44lb at my 28" draw.

500 spine Gold tip Trads cut to 30.25",
          11 gr aluminum insert,
          205 gr Simmons safari broadhead
          reflective wrap,
          5" helical fletching.
          total arrow weight 510 gr.

Comment

Man I need to up my arrow weight.. need to dig up the specs again but I'm more around 400grs with a 31 inch arrow and 100 gr broadhead, 4 4inch feathers.
            Sammick sage 40#@28

Comment

Widowmaker Smash .300
              31.25" BOP
              175gr Bishop right single bevel broadhead
              3 X 4" Marco Vanes
              640gr OAW
              9.2 GPP
              14.4% FOC

Bow 69.5# @ 29.5"

Rick

Comment

Beman ICS 400
                VPA300 gr 3 blade or Tuffhead 300
                29"
                5" feathers
                51# Massie recurve

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                  Man I need to up my arrow weight.. need to dig up the specs again but I'm more around 400grs with a 31 inch arrow and 100 gr broadhead, 4 4inch feathers.
                  Sammick sage 40#@28
                  Exactly why I wanted to start this thread and see what everyone has found that works for them. I'm currently in the boat with you and am shooting a light arrow. Right now i'm around 430g total I believe. Afraid the 400 spines I got are going to be too stiff even with a bunch of weight up front, but we will see.

Comment

If you are in the 9 to 10 gpp range you are fine. You can go heavier but there comes a point of diminishing returns. I like my FoC to be above 15% but not more than 20%.
                    Now if you're shooting 65+lb and going after Cape Buffalo then the heavier arrows an FoC are needed but most North American big game not so much.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                      Exactly why I wanted to start this thread and see what everyone has found that works for them. I'm currently in the boat with you and am shooting a light arrow. Right now i'm around 430g total I believe. Afraid the 400 spines I got are going to be too stiff even with a bunch of weight up front, but we will see.
                      literally if your arrow is tuned and flows beautifully off the string their is no reason to up the weight, I had a full pass thru on a mature doe with a 425 grain arrow two years ago, she died 30 seconds later with a 47# longbow....especially if its a custom or modern setup, they don't need a stupid heavy arrow, but hey if you want to do it by all means do it....I like my arrows around 450-475 because that's just the weight ive always used and I like the flight path and im used to the certain arrow path also....

Comment

I actually have a question for you trad guys about arrows. Hopefully not threadjacking, just kind of...digging deeper.

How do you actually go about selecting an arrow for a trad bow? Where do you start?

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
                          I actually have a question for you trad guys about arrows. Hopefully not threadjacking, just kind of...digging deeper.

How do you actually go about selecting an arrow for a trad bow? Where do you start?

It’s really not that different than a compound. Some guys paper tune, some bare shaft tune. You let tuning tell you exactly what to do. After you have been at it a while you get to where you know about what will work for you, you start with that, and then just fine tune to get it perfect. It’s all about proper spine, and we use arrow length and point weight to adjust for a perfect tune.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            It’s really not that different than a compound. Some guys paper tune, some bare shaft tune. You let tuning tell you exactly what to do. After you have been at it a while you get to where you know about what will work for you, you start with that, and then just fine tune to get it perfect. It’s all about proper spine, and we use arrow length and point weight to adjust for a perfect tune.

Bisch

Hey Bisch, thanks. So does that mean you should probably have a good idea of what broadhead you want to shoot before picking an arrow?

Comment

No! You can change point weight and arrow length to make the arrow spine match the bow.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                                literally if your arrow is tuned and flows beautifully off the string their is no reason to up the weight, I had a full pass thru on a mature doe with a 425 grain arrow two years ago, she died 30 seconds later with a 47# longbow....especially if its a custom or modern setup, they don't need a stupid heavy arrow, but hey if you want to do it by all means do it....I like my arrows around 450-475 because that's just the weight ive always used and I like the flight path and im used to the certain arrow path also....
                                Good to know! I'm not used to one way or another right now and i'm still feeling out what I like. This is my first year shooting trad so i'm just trying to soak in all the knowledge I can get.

Comment

Working...
                                X