4-5 acre pond questions... Duck Hunting + Vegetation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-5 acre pond questions... Duck Hunting + Vegetation

Due to carp in the pond there is little vegetation. Looking to turn it around and produce a great duck hunting spot. Throughout the season we constantly see ducks on it, but with no vegetation and cover its very hard to hunt. I've done some research and have looked at the other threads on TBH, but with the spring rain slowly raising the pond thought it would be a good time to maybe plant the soil along water with hopes that the water will come up high enough. Below is a map of the pond. We get about 2-3 inches a month up till about may and then the summer heat comes in. The thought is to get vegetation in the ground within the next two weeks to allow the spring rain to grow the vegetation and then hope for the best through the summer. On the map there are three different color lines.

The purple line is about a foot to two feet of water and stretches for about 20 yards from the banks. Would like to plant something here for feed, but do not have a way to drain and regulate water levels. Looking for something if anything that i might be able to do with it.

The white line will be the vegetation that will hopefully be covered up by the spring rains, but is exposed soil for now. With duck hunting in mind would like this to be some sort of duck feed.

The green line is all on land and won't be covered up by water. This will be the cover for the pond and duck blind.

I will continue to do my own research, but with the short time before summer thought it would be nice to get some help from the green screen. I would like to say that we want to hunt this for ducks and legally so please keep it to legal planting. Once we do start the prep and planting on the pond, progress can be followed on our thread http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=512112
    Attached Files

Forgot to note, but we are working on eliminating the carp. They are sterile carp and were put in to the pond years ago.

Comment

Turner Seed Company has a duck mix. We planted it and the ducks loved it. Will plant it again next year.

Comment

Humans have been using rotenone for centuries to harvest fish and manipulate fish communities.

You might want to go this route and start over.

Comment

Can't offer much about the wetland vegetation, but for the carp, have you tried cast netting and/or seining?

Comment

japanese millet is what we use. It doesnt take them long to wipe it out though. But we have lots of natural vegitation for them after they eat the JM

Comment

If it has carp in it I would wipe the slate clean and start over, you will never get them all out otherwise.

Comment

I went the Japanese millet approach two years ago and the drought limited my success. I was going to plant it again last year and noticed that somehow barnyard grass came up natively. I left it and had much more production even with the continued drought. Seed heads are large and lasted all season. I'm pretty sure you can buy through the normal seed sources. My hope is I can just scratch the soil and it will come up again.

Comment

Yeah might have to look into starting clean slate since we are basically at that besides the carp. Thanks for the suggestions. That duck mix looks great!

Comment

DO you have an overflow pipe? You could always get a trash pump and pump it down to plant.

Comment

If we could, we would pump water out... But with the way things have been the past few years we want all the water we can get. Hopefully that will be an option eventually

Comment

If money wasn't a big deal I would say rent a dozer and create your own duck slew right next to the pond and pump some water into it to create some vegetation with out the carp eating it up. But leave a dam you can break in the winter to flood it more. Then in the winter when some of the carp die off(If it gets cold enough where you live) break the dam and let more water in. Then after season put the dam back and pump out a lot of water and sine for carp and crawfish and chow out!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          Turner Seed Company has a duck mix. We planted it and the ducks loved it. Will plant it again next year.

What time of the year did y'all plant the duck mix?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle19 View Post
                            If money wasn't a big deal I would say rent a dozer and create your own duck slew right next to the pond and pump some water into it to create some vegetation with out the carp eating it up. But leave a dam you can break in the winter to flood it more. Then in the winter when some of the carp die off(If it gets cold enough where you live) break the dam and let more water in. Then after season put the dam back and pump out a lot of water and sine for carp and crawfish and chow out!

Yes sir, thats what were looking into now. There is a natural slough running off of it but unfortunately on the higher ground side. Looking into making a levee and then digging down the slough a bit. then will be able to plant and regulate water levels. Its the slough on the top right corner of the pond.

Comment

Carp will eat everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X