Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any firsthand experience with the Ducati Monster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A first time street bike rider on this? Are you seriously asking for a quick funeral? I worked in the industry a long time and I can't tell you how many people I saw killed starting out on a big bike right off the bat. It's your life but the mode mess you speak off is a joke unless it's lockable to a 600cc level because you will be billy bad butt inside of a week opening it up all the way. I've ran them well over 200 mph, I've fallen off at over 100 and tore them up about every way thinkable and my body scars show it and that was with the respect they demand!!! Not need and you have to grow to have the respect..

I'll say this before shutting up . Out of 5 friends that like yourself wanted a big bike right off the bat 3 were totaled inside of 2 months and 1 crashed. Food for thought, be safe whatever you decide to do..

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntermac View Post
      Been bike shopping and leaning towards the Ducati Monster 1200. Been reading a lot of reviews on the bikes, and it looks like every one who wrote a review was either on payroll or a fanboy, but I am sure there are some warts on these bikes, just curious if anyone here could point them out form first hand experience?

And before the anti-bike crowd jumps in, I am taking the motorcycle safety class this weekend (mandatory in Colorado) and the advanced class next month. Dropping a grand on a good helmet and jacket and don't plan on ever riding without them, just looking to gather as much ifo on the bike before I pull the trigger.

THanks!
      Have you ever ridden before?

Comment

Sorry just saw the answer to this. Do not get that bike for your first road bike, youll get hurt or kill yourself. You need something smaller to learn on.

On to your question Ducati makes fantastic bikes but they are not extremely cheap to upkeep. I've had a couple of older ones, I would get another in a heart beat. But, again for your first street ride, I really would say do not get a bike capable of what that one is.

Comment

Awesome looking bike!!

All I got is be safe brother.

Comment

I had a
            SUZUKI Bandit 1200
            A buddy had a Monster 1200

Mine was awesome......
            But the Monster was Bad to the Bome..
            I would buy one-
            But
            As a first bike (NO)

You may kill yourself and I do not want that

Comment

Listen to what people are telling you!

Comment

eDUCATIon

Comment

I had a Monster 1000 back in the day. I loved it, but it definitely comes standard with a devil to sit on your shoulder. It lopes sadly along at 45, chu-chuck chu-chuck chu-chuck. Then when you finally get on the highway it *SINGS* as you give it just a little squeeze of throttle. After what seems like a split second you look down at the speedometer and think "that can't be right..." and you notice that all the other cars seem to be standing still.

Wonderful machine, terrible idea for a first bike. Get a Ninja 500 or SV-650 - you can get into plenty of trouble on those bikes too, but at least they won't always be trying to trick you into it.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                    I've had a couple of older ones, I would get another in a heart beat.
                    I'm always looking for anything from the 70's with a SS on the end or maybe a Darmah. Problem is the don't come cheap anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                      I had a Monster 1000 back in the day. I loved it, but it definitely comes standard with a devil to sit on your shoulder. It lopes sadly along at 45, chu-chuck chu-chuck chu-chuck. Then when you finally get on the highway it *SINGS* as you give it just a little squeeze of throttle. After what seems like a split second you look down at the speedometer and think "that can't be right..." and you notice that all the other cars seem to be standing still.

Wonderful machine, terrible idea for a first bike. Get a Ninja 500 or SV-650 - you can get into plenty of trouble on those bikes too, but at least they won't always be trying to trick you into it.
                      Been there, done that. They seem to smooth out and run ok at around 60. Got pulled over doing almost 100 in a 35 headed home late one night. Two lane highway and didn't even realize I was speeding, just dead tired and thinking about crawling into bed. Cop wrote me up for 8 over, and that was on a Monster 600.

Comment

Working...
                      X