Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

~ Who has experience with SCENT THIEF scent spray ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to try it. Going to lease this weekend from Longview. Will go through
    Tyler, Corsicana, Waco, Gatesville, Lampassas, Fredricksburg. Any body know where I can pick up some on the way down. Haven't found any here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by XENEK View Post
      It sounds like a few responders haven't had good results with Nose Jammer - My experience with it is with Montana whitetail, so perhaps their sniffer isn't as sharp as the Texas deer - but we've had great success with Nose Jammer. We're actually giving some away with a ground blind and some other prizes. Feel free to enter our giveaway if you want a chance at some free Nose Jammer (oh, and a XENEK ground blind)

https://huntxenek.com/fall-giveaway-2017/

And a link that explains how it works - http://nosejammer.com/the-science/overview

Good luck!
      I had no luck with Nose Jammer, got busted four times in a row using it from deer and hogs coming in on my down wind side.

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      Do y'all think spraying the inside of a pop up blind will work? I've never used this stuff. But seeing all the comments has me interested
      I hunted inside a popup for the first time this year last weekend. I didn't have much Scent Thief left so I sprayed the inside of blind on the down wind side and had 3 doe's and 1 mature buck come in and eat on that side for over 30 minutes and not bust me. I'm going to try and sneak out again and hunt that same blind later today but I got my new order of Scent Thief in so I will have plenty today to use.

Don't skimp on using this stuff though. When I have enough, I've been spraying everything that I think might have my scent on it and I've now hunted about 8 times with it and have not been busted yet and that's pretty darn good because I got busted many times this year before I started using it. The smell will be strong when you first spray it but that really strong smell goes away pretty quickly. Yes you can still smell it but it doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
        Gonehunting68, thanks for the feedback and keep it coming. I'm going to go pick up a bottle and give it a try this week. I'll be hunting new sets on public land and have no idea which way the deer will approach from.

I have no idea if it will work. If it does work, I could care less if it works by blocking their smell or masking my sent. If it works that would be great, if it doesn't, oh well, but I like to try a product before bashing it. A good example is the "butt out" it gets bashed all the time but works great.
        Thanks and that's how I felt about it before I bought my first bottle. I honestly thought I would be bashing it, not telling success stories about it. Now if only I can get that big buck in front of me so I have a real success story.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
          I would like to try it. Going to lease this weekend from Longview. Will go through
          Tyler, Corsicana, Waco, Gatesville, Lampassas, Fredricksburg. Any body know where I can pick up some on the way down. Haven't found any here yet.
          I know on their website they have a dealer locator but I just went there and their website is down.

Comment

Do you spray it on you skin or just clothing and other items?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Man that marketing arm for this product sure has done a fine job of getting free advertising

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                Thanks and that's how I felt about it before I bought my first bottle. I honestly thought I would be bashing it, not telling success stories about it. Now if only I can get that big buck in front of me so I have a real success story.

How about going back the next time without it and see if you get different results.

Comment

sounds like my buddy that swears by his ozonics. he cant wait to defend it and tell us all about the deer he has downwind of him on almost every hunt, yet in 3 years with it he's never drawn back on a shooter, because all he sees are young bucks and does.

Comment

Well dad gum '!
                    I thot we all decided on using vanilla or ozonics.... Now this
                    Fml ��
                    Last edited by RACK; 11-19-2017, 08:18 PM.

Comment

What cracks me up is that you save a whopping $2.00 on a 21 bottle case.

Comment

As I said many times that I would post any bad results I had using Scent Thief. On Sunday, I hunted a ground blind on hand corn, I had a hand corned area about 8 to 20 yards from me to my NE and another to my NW. The wind was blowing from the North. Had several deer eating at the NE spot without any problems but every time a deer would start eating at the NW spot, they would be OK for a minute or two and then they would take off running. This happened about 6 times but each time the deer at the NE spot would just look at them and then go back to eating. Some how the wind must have been swirling back to the NW spot and they were smelling something they didn't like. None of them blew and a couple of them came back and ate at the NE spot. The fact that they didn't blow was strange because at this property in the past they have always blown when they smelled me so maybe it was just the Scent thief they were running from but I really don't know. The big downer was one of the deer that came into the NW spot was a big Mature 10 I wanted to shoot but he didn't hang around long enough to get a shot. As I said before, just because deer don't spook a time or two when using this stuff doesn't mean it works and just because deer do spook a time or two when using it doesn't mean it doesn't work because there could always be other factors involved that caused them to spook or not spook. I will continue to use it until I have made up my mind on Scent Thief. So far I used it about 10 times and this was the first time I had deer bust me and pretty much every time I used it, I've had at least one deer down wind of me.

Comment

~ WOW ! this thread has really blown up since last look from my original post.

Just yesterday, after several days in Junction hunting at a friends lease, we came back to my boerne, tx axis hot spot.

I saw weeks ago they were finally coming back after the deluge of acorn drop, so I figured we would stop in. Looking at my weather app,.. I knew once again the wind was going to be TOTALLY IN THE WRONG direction to hunt. I figured here was another opportunity to see if I could get past the noses of these deer once again.
                          * recall in my first posts - these deer have no tolerance for close proximity HUMAN SCENT. All my experience with 13 failed attempts, as some were due to scent drift and getting blown up by the barks of axis, and high flying tails on the run.

I had the scent thief in the truck and sprayed down. Brought it to the blind and sprayed down. Wind was blowing at out backs and right to the feeder on the side the axis always come from.

After a boring 2 hour wait - we had several whitetail all eating right there at the feeder. Never once got shifty on the wind drift from my blind. Losing light, a lone axis nubber-spike comes in,... direct in the wind drift path between the whitetail. My buddy sent a arrow within moments and the results :

**** Since using this product I have only seen once a deer act spooked and backed away from where I had sprayed it on my boots to check a cam. I don't believe one bit that this product hinders their ability to smell odor -- If anything this pungent, PINE SOL smelling junk is more of a cover scent. Maybe it mimics the same cedar smell these animals are so accustom to ??? What ever it is --- If I can beat the METH HEAD axis deer I have at my place ... then I'll continue to use it.

Attached Files

Comment

As I said many times that I would post any bad results I had using Scent Thief. On Sunday, I hunted a ground blind on hand corn, I had a hand corned area about 8 to 20 yards from me to my NE and another to my NW. The wind was blowing from the North. Had several deer eating at the NE spot without any problems but every time a deer would start eating at the NW spot, they would be OK for a minute or two and then they would take off running. This happened about 6 times but each time the deer at the NE spot would just look at them and then go back to eating. Some how the wind must have been swirling back to the NW spot and they were smelling something they didn't like. None of them blew and a couple of them came back and ate at the NE spot. The fact that they didn't blow was strange because at this property in the past they have always blown when they smelled me so maybe it was just the Scent thief they were running from but I really don't know. The big downer was one of the deer that came into the NW spot was a big Mature 10 I wanted to shoot but he didn't hang around long enough to get a shot. As I said before, just because deer don't spook a time or two when using this stuff doesn't mean it works and just because deer do spook a time or two when using it doesn't mean it doesn't work because there could always be other factors involved that caused them to spook or not spook. I will continue to use it until I have made up my mind on Scent Thief. So far I used it about 10 times and this was the first time I had deer bust me and pretty much every time I used it, I've had at least one deer down wind of me.

I had a similar experience. Saturday the wind was blowing like crazy. It started getting heavier about 7:00am. I had my shooter buck at 30 yards down wind. He didn't stay around long enough for me to draw back on. I was in a tree down in a hole and he was on a dam, so the elevation wasn't much different. He wasn't spooked, but he also seemed to know that i was there.

Moving along to Sunday morning, there was a slight 2mph wind. I forgot to spray down with scent thief. I was busted. A lot of stomping and blowing. I had deer all around me, but as soon as one got downwind it was over. So far, I have been busted every time that I have not had Scent Thief on. I hunt in thick woods and creek bottoms, so the wind swirls. Very much like you, I am not 100% sold on it, but I have had better experiences in the stand with it on. More to come...

Comment

Originally posted by takoma View Post
                              ~ WOW ! this thread has really blown up since last look from my original post.

Just yesterday, after several days in Junction hunting at a friends lease, we came back to my boerne, tx axis hot spot.

I saw weeks ago they were finally coming back after the deluge of acorn drop, so I figured we would stop in. Looking at my weather app,.. I knew once again the wind was going to be TOTALLY IN THE WRONG direction to hunt. I figured here was another opportunity to see if I could get past the noses of these deer once again.
                              * recall in my first posts - these deer have no tolerance for close proximity HUMAN SCENT. All my experience with 13 failed attempts, as some were due to scent drift and getting blown up by the barks of axis, and high flying tails on the run.

I had the scent thief in the truck and sprayed down. Brought it to the blind and sprayed down. Wind was blowing at out backs and right to the feeder on the side the axis always come from.

After a boring 2 hour wait - we had several whitetail all eating right there at the feeder. Never once got shifty on the wind drift from my blind. Losing light, a lone axis nubber-spike comes in,... direct in the wind drift path between the whitetail. My buddy sent a arrow within moments and the results :

**** Since using this product I have only seen once a deer act spooked and backed away from where I had sprayed it on my boots to check a cam. I don't believe one bit that this product hinders their ability to smell odor -- If anything this pungent, PINE SOL smelling junk is more of a cover scent. Maybe it mimics the same cedar smell these animals are so accustom to ??? What ever it is --- If I can beat the METH HEAD axis deer I have at my place ... then I'll continue to use it.

Congrats, Axis are way harder to fool their nose on average then whitetail in my experience. I don't care how the stuff works as long as it works and I've had way too many good experiences with it to stop using after just one bad experience.

Originally posted by dataxman View Post
                              I had a similar experience. Saturday the wind was blowing like crazy. It started getting heavier about 7:00am. I had my shooter buck at 30 yards down wind. He didn't stay around long enough for me to draw back on. I was in a tree down in a hole and he was on a dam, so the elevation wasn't much different. He wasn't spooked, but he also seemed to know that i was there.

Moving along to Sunday morning, there was a slight 2mph wind. I forgot to spray down with scent thief. I was busted. A lot of stomping and blowing. I had deer all around me, but as soon as one got downwind it was over. So far, I have been busted every time that I have not had Scent Thief on. I hunt in thick woods and creek bottoms, so the wind swirls. Very much like you, I am not 100% sold on it, but I have had better experiences in the stand with it on. More to come...
                              Yep, even though the deer were spooking on me, they didn't blow so that tells me they probably didn't smell me but i assume something they smelled spooked them. If they would have smelt me and blew like they always do when they smell me, the other deer that were about 20 yards away eating corn would have took off too but they just looked at the deer running and went back to eating. I have had too many good experiences with it to stop using it after one bad experience.

Comment

Failed to mention : While at the friends Junction lease recently before the Boerne hunt, we had used the scent thief on every hunt we went on.
                                I had deer down wind as did he several times and never had them blow or spook out. We sat a double one day on a evening sit. We did have a cull buck that came in downwind of him ( I was sitting a tall ladder stand 30 yards away ) I could see that deer come down wind and act suspicious as he came into the area. He kept weaving his head up and down - smelling hard. ( body half outstretched like ready to bolt )
                                -- He never came fully in,.. just turned and walked away. I don't know if he did not like the SCENT THIEF or the mixture of that as well as the DOE IN HEAT Jacob likes to spray around. Who knows --- but he never blew, stomped, or bolted like we all see deer do when they KNOW FOR A FACT danger is there.
                                ~ Stuff is not 100%........ but so far 2 deer got shifty on it out of 30+ I've been around since hunting in bad wind drifts,.... ohh ya,.. I'll continue to use it.
                                I've had much less luck trying to spray down with scent eliminators.

ps... Let's just say once my friend was using it,.. he always wanted to use it and by the end of the hunt eager to know where to get some.

Comment

Working...
                                X