Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 07-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Default Arrow weight/ broadhead tuning

Two questions.
1. 28.25 inch arrow with 125 grain slick trick magnum broadhead. Total weight roughly 432 grains. I think my draw weight is 65. Arrow is a carbon axis 340 if that matters. Is this heavy enough for elk and other similar sized game or should I go heavier? Iíve never really paid attention to arrow weight before so curious what others think.

2. Field tips shoot high right from broadheads. Tried ďbroadhead tuningĒ by moving rest to the right but that made it worse. What could be the cause of this?
Thanks
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
Lightning48
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jones County

Have you tried walk back tuning?
Lightning48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

I have not, i Will try it tomorrow. thanks
Old 07-08-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

A lot of Elk have been taken with arrows with the mass weight you are shooting. If I was going to work something up specifically for Elk then I would try to slide in around the 500 grain mark. Sounds like you have a little tuning to sort out; however the arrow doesn't sound too bad without knowing the make/model of the bow and your draw length. keep us posted on what you find out.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning48 View Post
Have you tried walk back tuning?
It appears to be good out to 40 at least.
I guess my question is is it always a tuneing issue of broadheads donít shoot the same as field tips?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #6
Outlaw_6
Ten Point

Hunt In: LA and "The H"
Default Arrow weight/ broadhead tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post

I guess my question is is it always a tuneing issue of broadheads donít shoot the same as field tips?

Have you spin tested your arrows to check for any wobble?

Are your broadheads grouping together?

Could it be just one arrow that is the issue?

Checked for vane clearance? A contact issue likely would be exaggerated with broadheads.

Have you tried moving rest the other way?
Outlaw_6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
enewman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

let me add.

even though people want to say foc doesn't matter it does. now I'm not saying this is the problem here. but sometimes we dont have enough drag for the head for the amount of foc for that set up.

now this could be an arrow at 6% or even 12% its all in the head design.

like I said this is basically just info. I'm betting yours is still tuning issue
enewman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
jdunn6092
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Two questions.

1. 28.25 inch arrow with 125 grain slick trick magnum broadhead. Total weight roughly 432 grains. I think my draw weight is 65. Arrow is a carbon axis 340 if that matters. Is this heavy enough for elk and other similar sized game or should I go heavier? Iíve never really paid attention to arrow weight before so curious what others think.

2. Field tips shoot high right from broadheads. Tried ďbroadhead tuningĒ by moving rest to the right but that made it worse. What could be the cause of this?

Thanks

What bow do you have? Sounds like you need to yoke tune your bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #9
dk_ace
Four Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Lamar

How far high and right do they hit and at what distance? What bow? What’s your nock position like? Walk back tubing and/or yoke tuning aren’t likely to do anything for the high broadhead impact. I’d be more concerned about the high impact than the right impact but I wouldn’t want to tolerate either.

D
dk_ace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #10
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Thanks for the help guys! Gave paper tuning a shot and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Would adding an insert be worth it for large game? Or would it require getting diffrent arrows? Trying to get this bow setup where I can hunt anything from Deer to moose if I wanted to without having to change my setup.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
dk_ace
Four Point

Exclamation

Quote:
Would adding an insert be worth it for large game? Or would it require getting diffrent arrows? Trying to get this bow setup where I can hunt anything from Deer to moose if I wanted to without having to change my setup.
If you add much point weight, youíre going to need a stiffer arrow spine IMO.

If you really want a moose setup, Iíd be building something quite a bit heavier. It looks like your draw length probably isnít very long and youíre drawing 65 lbs, extra weight would be ideal if you want to go after a moose. You can kill one with your current setup with good shot placement at a reasonable distance, but I wouldnít consider this an ideal moose setup. Iíd be choosing a heavy, stiff arrow and putting quite a bit of weight up front too. Keep in mind this is going to be a pretty darn slow setup, but it will have the punch you need.

An ideal moose arrow is probably not what Iíd want to hunt whitetail with out of your setup. That extra punch is going to be wasted and youíre trading off a lot of speed that might be helpful.

You might pick something in the middle with a roughly 500 grain setup. Youíll need a new arrow for that IMO as your current shafts are probably a little weak for that much point weight. Thatís probably what Iíd do if I wanted one arrow for everything.

D
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #13
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

So getting up to 500 grains would require diffrent arrows? Moose won’t be in the picture for a long time but was hopeing for a one and done setup. So for a mostly whitetail but occasionally mule deer, elk and similar sized game you think 500 with stiffer arrows would be better? Shooting a quest AMP if that maters. Don’t remember draw length.

500 seems to be the general consensus.

Last edited by Etxnoodler; 07-13-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

500 is a great all around arrow weight, the key is building the arrow the right way. 500 with high FOC is a pretty attainable goal for most shooters and is more than enough arrow for ANY NA game with a good broadhead setup.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #15
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:

What is your draw length???

Iím trying to run some numbers for you.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #16
jdunn6092
Four Point

Iím just guessing on your draw length.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #17
jdunn6092
Four Point

Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #18
jdunn6092
Four Point

The two pictures I posted is if you ran the 75 gr hit insert instead of the stock 16 gr. Insert.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #19
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
The two pictures I posted is if you ran the 75 gr hit insert instead of the stock 16 gr. Insert.

Thanks! So letís pretend I donít know what Iím talking about.. lol are those good numbers? I see the weight is right
Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 PM   #20
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
500 is a great all around arrow weight, the key is building the arrow the right way. 500 with high FOC is a pretty attainable goal for most shooters and is more than enough arrow for ANY NA game with a good broadhead setup.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #21
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Thanks! So letís pretend I donít know what Iím talking about.. lol are those good numbers? I see the weight is right

What numbers do you mean? Speed, weight, etc????

Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #22
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Foc and speed? Does that mean that arrow can handle that much weight? Is the stuff at the bottom another suggested arrow? Sorry for all of the questions.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:12 AM   #23
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post

And a half inch of shaft...?

Its interesting to see how little fps, foc, gpp DID NOT change between the two insert weights...and half inch of shaft. Me thinks too many variables.

Etxnoodler...what will kill the moose will kill the deer. I think you could slay a moose with your setup...surgically.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #24
bowhunting1
Four Point

Hunt In: The trees high above

Bare shaft tune. Your broadheads will be money with field points if you get a bare shaft flying straight and grouping with field points.
bowhunting1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #25
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
And a half inch of shaft...?

Its interesting to see how little fps, foc, gpp DID NOT change between the two insert weights...and half inch of shaft. Me thinks too many variables.

Etxnoodler...what will kill the moose will kill the deer. I think you could slay a moose with your setup...surgically.

The only thing that changed in the two pictures is half of an inch on the shaft length. That stiffened up the shaft a little more. I didnít run the numbers with the standard insert because heís already shooting it and liking it. It was pointless to run something that he already knows about.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #26
jdunn6092
Four Point

Quote:
Foc and speed? Does that mean that arrow can handle that much weight? Is the stuff at the bottom another suggested arrow? Sorry for all of the questions.

From my experience these numbers are a guide to help you along the way. From my setup theyíre about 15 FPS faster than what I really shoot.

I would say they are good number to work with. You may had to do some adjusting along the way to figure out what is best for you. You may have to play with shaft length or even buy a few 300 spine to test them out. It sucks but ever bow and person is different. Even the elevation you life or hunt at can change things. Higher the elevation-faster the arrows fps.

I hate to say it but itís hard to tell someone exactly what weight insert, length of shaft, and FPS they need to be shooting without being there and seeing your setup with my own eyes.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #27
dk_ace
Four Point

Echoing jdunn, I’ve found that program to often give speed estimates much faster than what the rig will actually shoot. I’ve seen it off by 30+ FPS. The results in the screenshots above look a lot faster than what I think you’ll actually get. I still think a 500 grain arrow is a solid choice for what you’re wanting, just don’t expect those speeds.

D
Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #28
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Listen to Muddyfuzzy, Rat or Enewman as far as building a great arrow for what you want. None of those guys will steer you wrong.

I have been doing this bowhunting bit for a long time and I will tell you what I have learned in over 40 years of slinging arrows. A heavier arrow, higher FOC will do 3 things to your set up.
1. More forgiving at longer shot distances.
2. More accurate at longer distances, you may run into this elk hunting
3. A WAY QUIETER bow on the shot.

I am not talking a few grains here or there, I am talking at least 50 to 100 grains heavier. I saw my greatest improvement in the 3 things I mentioned after going from 420 grains to 595 grains. I have been there, done that with very short, very light arrows, overdraws and such to very light arrows without overdraws, I have basically done it all after 40+ years of bowhunting.

Shot placement and a sharp broadhead are keys in bowhunting and the easier you make it to put that broadhead in the place it needs to be, the easier it is to kill animals. Get your set up right, practice with that set up and get very confident with your bow and arrows and all the other accessories so when that animal steps out, you are just praying for a shot because you know you can make it! Without that right, tunes excellent equipment and the confidence to use that equipment, when that animal steps out and you think, "can I make that shot", that is not what you want.

Sorry for the long post, just giving my opinions, all coming from and old fart!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #29
HDWRENCH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

Quote:
Two questions.

Thanks
I run a 351 grain at 65 with that broad head I have never paper tuned as they fly like my field points . 60 yards I can hit a 4x4 post it note .. Is the bow still in time . When mine stretched it got pretty crazy .. and it happened all at once . CCA took care of that and the bow was back spot on
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top