Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Arrows = Pass Through

I shot my first buck with a recurve this year and got a complete pass through with a bow that's 45 pounds at my 30" DL. Arrow even stuck into the ground pretty good. My arrow weight is 595 grains. I've always shot heavy arrows, even when using a compound, and always got a complete pass throughs. My favorite broad head with a compound was Rage with the largest cutting diameter available.

Have seen a lot of videos on social media lately of deer being shot 30 yards and in that are not getting a pass through. To those who are not consistently getting a complete pass through with a compound, how light of an arrow are you shooting, and why?

I'm mainly making this post as a PSA to those starting out to hopefully steer away from the darkness that is speed and to bring them to the light that is momentum.
    Last edited by crc; 11-07-2019, 02:38 PM.

I shoot 60lb with a 384gr arrow, Spitfire 1 3/4 cut - 3 blade broadheads, never not had a pass though

Don't now what those guys on TV are doing...…...

Comment

Adult Arrows FTW

Comment

I was shooting arrows with a total weight of 396 out of my 70# compound. Rage Trypan. I had 7 pass thru’s in a row. Switched this year to the GT Kinetic Pierce with a total arrow weight of 498. Same Trypan broadheads. One aoudad ram and one whitetail buck killed with the heavier setup. Neither were pass thru’s. Go figure. My trad arrows are 635 total weight. Pass thru almost every time except for the one i spined.

Comment

lol, my new arrow setup is 660 gr out of my D350 set at 30" draw and 72#'s. Hammers for sure!

Comment

You are going to make speed gurus heads explode if you keep using logic in your conversations....

Comment

I'm right at 550 out of a 63# bowtech rpm360 at 27.5". The efficiency of the cams making it a "speed bow" allow me to go with a heavier arrow and still get decent speeds. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

After getting very little penetration on a shoulder shot buck shooting 380 grain arrows, I switched to 520 grain arrows. Bow is quieter and they hit much, much harder. Win win.

Comment

60# 28” 385gr ... shoots through 99% deer and 80% hogs. Weight on hog and deer is waaayyy over rated. But if it makes you more confident. By all means

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                    60# 28” 385gr ... shoots through 99% deer and 80% hogs. Weight on hog and deer is waaayyy over rated. But if it makes you more confident. By all means
                    100% pass throughs isn't waaayyy over rated.

Comment

Sub'd. I hope this gets some traction. Respectfully

Comment

I had a 385 gr arrow last year and only had a pass thru on three animals all the others didn't. Years prior to this I shot a EFOC 490 gr. arrow with a Fixed Blade broadhead and I was able to bust thru deer or pig shoulders. This year I'm using EFOC 450 Gr. arrows with a fixed blade broad head and I have shot 6 animals so far all pass thrus and through shoulder blades. Some of the shots have been quartering towards shot where I place the pin right on the shoulder. I am a firm believer in heavy arrows with EFOC. I want a heavy arrow to help me on marginal shots that touch bone or even those less then perfect slightly quartering toward shots.

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
                          100% pass throughs isn't waaayyy over rated.
                          Never lost a single animal in my hunting due to my arrow being too light. I can shoot one in the panch and get a 100% pass through...but that’s waaayyy over rated

I’ll take dead and recovered over pass through and I still get more pass through than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            Never lost a single animal in my hunting due to my arrow being too light. I can shoot one in the panch and get a 100% pass through...but that’s waaayyy over rated

I’ll take dead and recovered over pass through and I still get more pass through than not.
                            How many of those animals killed were shot 40 yards or over?

Comment

All this being said what weight would you get your kiddo shooting 50 lbs at 23” draw ?

Comment

Working...
                              X