Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landlord rights vs. tenant rights question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord rights vs. tenant rights question...

My son called last night and said his landlord wants to come do a walk though every 56 months to make sure he's not knocking out walls, etc. His question was can the landlord just call up and say "I wanna come look"? My son has reviewed his lease agreement and there is no mention of the landlord being able to do this. My son has lived in this house for 6 months,rent is always on time, yard is kept up and it's not junked up. I've seen the place and it's pretty nice.

My thoughts was to for him to tell the landlord if it wasn't in the agreement then its a no go. I understand the landlords position as well, wanting to check on his investment, but I feel this is a little invasive of his privacy.

Any landlords on here that can give me some advice to pass on?

BTW, I've met the landlord. He's a snake in the grass.

If there is nothing to hide let him walk through. He can always come by when your son isn’t home for “regular maintenance “. At least he is giving him a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My leases I do make it pretty clear I have the right to inspect the property. I just use a basic Texas Residential Lease contract too.

"INSPECTION OF PREMISES. Landlord and Landlord’s agents shall have the right at all reasonable times during the term of this Agreement and any renewal thereof to enter the Premises for the purpose of inspecting the Premises and all buildings and improvements thereon. And for the purposes of making any repairs, additions or alterations as may be deemed appropriate by Landlord for the preservation of the Premises or the building. Landlord and its agents shall further have the right to exhibit the Premises and to display the usual “for sale”, “for rent” or “vacancy” signs on the Premises at any time within forty-five (45) days before the expiration of this Lease. The right of entry shall likewise exist for the purpose of removing placards, signs, fixtures, alterations, or additions that do not conform to this Agreement or to any restrictions, rules or regulations affecting the Premises."

Comment

In my leases I have a "regular maintenance" clause (monthly changing air filters and annual fire alarms)

Which basically means I can come in whenever as long as I give them a 72 hour heads up.
        Most times I only go in once per year to check fire alarms.

Comment

Let him in. You want a good relationship with your landlord.

Comment

Every 56 months? Once every 5 years? Doesn't seem like much of an issue.

Comment

If it’s a standard Trec lease then yes at any reasonable time.

Comment

Everything is right here. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
                  If there is nothing to hide let him walk through. He can always come by when your son isn’t home for “regular maintenance “. At least he is giving him a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  There's nothing to hide. It's about his privacy.

Comment

If the landlord doesn’t come in at least every 3 months to make sure the air filters are changed, then the landlord doesn’t care about the property.
                    I extend that to 6 months after the tenant shows that the property is kept up, but it’s still just a quick visit to check the property.

Comment

Dealt with the same thing a few years ago, wasn’t so much him coming Over all the time it was more that fact that he was a weirdo. Glad we own now

Hope you meant every 5 to 6 months lol. 56 ain’t bad at all 5 to 6 months really is t unreasonable. Our land owner would come once a month and just try to get too personal all the time and stay for hours sometimes just talking
                      Last edited by Jcjohnson; 11-04-2019, 09:26 AM.

Comment

If there is nothing to hide, then why not just allow the landlord to come look at his investment. It is his property. I understand the privacy issue, but you chose to rent from someone. I was in this same position when we rented out our house in Round Rock before we sold it. It was in the lease agreement as well and we gave our tenants 48 hours notice that we would be coming by. Landlords are responsible for maintenance and upkeep of their property, so he could be doing regular maintenance. If you wanted to make a big stink about it, when the lease comes up, the landlord could choose to not renew the lease. What is more of a hassle? Allowing someone to be responsible and check up on their investment, once every 5 years, or having to find another place to live. As mentioned before, at least the landowner is giving him notice that he is going to come check on his property.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          There's nothing to hide. It's about his privacy.
                          Well from a property owner it is about an investment.....which to him/her (landlord) is way more important than the tenant's privacy.
                          I can honestly say I give ZERO notice and go in at minimum once a month for the 6-8months then after that, If all has been good, I leave air filters for the tenet to change on their own and just check in quarterly.
                          Again it is about my property if the tenant is not happy find another place.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                            If there is nothing to hide, then why not just allow the landlord to come look at his investment. It is his property. I understand the privacy issue, but you chose to rent from someone. I was in this same position when we rented out our house in Round Rock before we sold it. It was in the lease agreement as well and we gave our tenants 48 hours notice that we would be coming by. Landlords are responsible for maintenance and upkeep of their property, so he could be doing regular maintenance. If you wanted to make a big stink about it, when the lease comes up, the landlord could choose to not renew the lease. What is more of a hassle? Allowing someone to be responsible and check up on their investment, once every 5 years, or having to find another place to live. As mentioned before, at least the landowner is giving him notice that he is going to come check on his property.
                            Contract states my son is responsible for the maintenance of the property. Son is paying for an air conditioning company to do the annual servicing of the HVAC. I'm looking at the contract now.

Comment

Dont like it then move. Maybe find an apartment or another landlord. I mean he owns the house!

Comment

Working...
                              X