Clear All

Where's a picture of your critter???

Comment

The Critter?

Originally posted by hunter1979 View Post
      Where's a picture of your critter???
      Coming up.

Comment

Thanks for posting that brother. Not sure what the heck is going on with trying to post a youtube video.

The critter which Luke is referring to was a mouflon ram. It was the 5th of 8 hunts on my package and although I was seeing nice exotics on EACH and EVERY sit I had, they just were not getting in range. I had moved my stand position slightly with Skylars approval so I would be in a closer position for a good shot to where I had been seeing all the exotics. Well, I sat for 4 hours with nothing passing. I decided to move back to that familiar blind. Besides, my bottom side was already conformed to that chair.Not 15 minutes after I had moved a Sika doe was 20 yards from where I had just been. Darn! WHile she was still there eating the Red deer moved in. Double Darn!! Then I had the enjoyment of watching 3 very nice Mouflons pass within 20 yards of where I had been. I was going to be sick. So time passes by and about 30 minutes later I catch movement about 60 yards out in front of me.

Comment

I see a large group of Rams heading in my direction and get to about 40 yards out. Thats when I see the 3 nice Mouflon trailing behind the group. I was stunned. I couldn't figure how they got there but it was okay by me. Just as my hopes were soaring, the lead Dahl Ram (and he is huge) took the group out of sight to my left. Disheartening! Well I sat for about another 30 minutes and I had that nice Dahl, with about 12 other animals at a range of 15 yards. As I noticed with my first encounter with some mouflon, they tend to keep the herd between themselves and the blind. I was able to see the one I wanted. Good mass but very wide. He stayed behind the group and quickly moved to the front but still behind 2 Dahl sheep. He looked at the blind then began to graze a bit. While his head was down, one of the Dahl sheep turned and began pushing the other Dahl backwards, opening a small window of opportunity for a shot. The camera was recording, unfortunately the Mouflon is on the far right edge of the video. I hit him with a 2 blade Rage 40KE which broke both shoulders and he dropped in his tracks. Hopefully the video will be up soon.
          Attached Files

Comment

The video

Finally figured out that it works with a link. Anyway, here is the video of the shot made on the Mouflon. When the Mouflons come in, they stay on the backside of the group, except for the small one which embeds himself in the group. The largest moved to the front but behind the group and I did not turn my camera far enough to the right to capture the complete animal. At the time of the shot he is on the far right of the screen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfiJTyxDWu0"]Mouflon shot.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Last edited by hunter1979; 04-07-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

The Diamond C is a great place to go. I am no expert on ranches but I will say that the Diamond C is the best place I have been to date. Skylar is a great host, the kind of guy that you like to hang out with. The quarters are great. I can't think anyone would ever have a problem with the arrangement. The animals.....they are everywhere. Alot of them and at all age structures. There are true trophy animals here. At a time that most places are not seeing critters, I did not have a single sit where I did not see a good animal. The stands and blinds (those that I had seen) are very well brushed in. I can only imagine what it must be like when the critters do not have fresh growth to feed on. My next trip to the Lone Star State will be a return trip to the Diamond C. Great place, good times! Thanks Skylar!

Comment

Nice vids and good shooting!

Comment

Working...
                  X