Boat advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat advice

Considering buying a used boat that would be used for duck hunting and fishing. Let's say about even time for each. Of course the flat bottom and mud motor/long tail setups sound awesome. Looking at 16 ft minimum (48 in bottom width) and a few thousand bucks. My general questions are:

1. How much difference between a flat bottom and a V bottom for draft? How stable are the V bottoms?
    2. How much difference between a mud motor and small outboard (15 to 20 HP) as far as draft.
    3. Does anyone fish much out of their duck boats? Does the mud motor get in the way?
    4. Is simpler always better? Just wondering if I should avoid trim/tilt setups, steering wheels, batteries, etc...

What else should I consider? I've done a little reading on the mud motor talk forum but not sure they aren't a little biased.

These are good questions, interested in buying one as well. I really like the jet boats but boy are they proud of them. Good luck on your search

Comment

I’d only buy a mud motor if absolutely required. They suck from a reliablity perspective and require lots of maintenance. I would really look for a four stroke tiller. I’d go flat bottom as well.

Comment

There's no way I'd consider a mud motor on a fishing rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
          I’d only buy a mud motor if absolutely required. They suck from a reliablity perspective and require lots of maintenance. I would really look for a four stroke tiller. I’d go flat bottom as well.
          Agree with this and would add sponsons.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
            Yeah they are terrible, it's like maintaining a lawnmower engine!!!

If you don't need a mud motor though, seriously don't get one. An outboard is so much quieter and more relaxing to drive.

Comment

4 stroke- electric start with electric tilt trim. Flat bottom- use it for both and set it up for comfort

Comment

Ive been looking a Jon boats and have read once you get to the 16' range the V hull is pretty stable and you dont get beat up in the rough waters like a flat bottom.

I had a 1860 Mod V that got in the shallows and handled rough water well too.

Comment

If going outboard, what would be your minimum HP? Is 15 enough assuming it would be two people most of the time?

Comment

Where are you planning on duck hunting vs fishing?

If you're going to hit a river, longtail is the way to go.

If you're going to hit the coast and get into some shallow falts, you want a mud-motor and mud boat; has a different hull design to get you through some bad stuff and not stuck.

For me, I'd think a 16' flat with a modified V and a 20 HP tiller handle. 20 HP is fast enough for that rig to get you to most fishing spots. And with a 16' flat, I could easily get a 23 longtail to put on it during duck season. Will be more of a work out than a mud-motor, but will be able to get into the duck holes just the same.

Good luck and post up pics of what you do.

Comment

I fish out of mine more than I hunt out of it.

Comment

I've got a 17 54 excel w a 55 mag mud motor. It's a surface drive. Maintaince hasn't been anything I can't handle on my own. My hull is a semi v, so it v,s up front but is flat mid frtony to rear. The semi v is a life saver in rough water. I can split the waves and run as shallow as I want. My boat we fish out of but don't fish deep water, usually areas w cover for the fish. I've been really pleased w the boat over all. It gets us anywhere, and can get us home safely.

Comment

As mentioned where?

I've had tin boats from 16' with 15hp tiller to 18' center console and 90hp and duck hunted out of each. Tilt and trim was way better for running shallow and jumping up quick. My fav for hauling a load and getting skinny was a 17 foot semi v with a 50 johnnyrude all electric. Stumps to oysters reefs but it was wet!!

I'd like to have a 16-17' by 52ish with an electric start,tilt and trim 20 to 40hp (maybe jet) and welded hull to run creeks and rivers. A short tail would be fun but hard for me to justify since I rarely duck hunt now days

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Love my gator tail. All of mine are easy to maintain . My motor is a modded 25hp big block . I can hunt all the restricted areas and still run 30 loaded down or empty it doesn't change. Have had 3 big guys and my lab and get up on step and run upper 20s easy . Haven't fished it much since the cold weather won't drift away yet!
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is what you need. Just buy it, you can thank me later.

Comment

Working...
                              X