XDs 45 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XDs 45 problems

Bought a used xds 45 Sunday. It supposedly has a low round count but I've had a lot of trouble with it so far.

First range trip I had numerous failure to ejects, failure to feeds and a few short strikes. I didn't clean or oil it before going to the range so I thought maybe that was the issue.

Cleaned and lubed it real well and went back to range the next day. Put 50 rounds through and had two failure to feeds. Much better but still not good enough for my carry weapon.

Third range visit 50 rounds and I had 8 short strikes. Very frustrating. I've used 3 different brands of ammo over the course of the three visits. Problems with all three.

Anyone have any ideas? I really like the size of accuracy of the gun. I currently carry a sig p238 and the xds blows it out of the water on accuracy. I really want to make it my edc but can't trust it yet.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Session

Did anyone else shoot it? If it keeps happening send it back... If you hate it I will buy it! What range are you going to?

Let me add that if you limp wrist the XDS it will have issues. Try to hold the gun as tight as you can and lean into the recoil. It may not be the problem, but worth a try...
    Last edited by Ecoboost; 08-09-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

A gun isn't fully "broke in" until about 200+ rounds have been fired thru it.
      Just my opinion tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
        A gun isn't fully "broke in" until about 200+ rounds have been fired thru it.
        Just my opinion tho.
        Didn't believe that until I got about 300 rounds through my Glock 23 and then it just "freed up" and felt velvet smooth. I noticed a big difference...

Comment

I should say that the G23 has given me no problems since I bought it new. Not even one misfire or failure to eject...

Comment

I had an XD and never had any problems that I can remember. The police officers at work carry the XD's so I would assume its just that gun and you might need to send it back or at least call them. I sold my XD and got a Kimber I had been wanting for years.

Comment

I'll add that as well,,, that's the 1st XD I've heard doing that.
              I'm assuming you know what you're doing with a pistol...

If you're knew to pistols, make sure you're not shooting with a limp wrist.
              That'll jam a gun quicker than anything.
              Last edited by Mac...; 08-09-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

1st it needs to be broken in well, that's a lot of spring in a little package with very little wiggle room.

second with mine you must be 100% positive grip on it or it will fte/ftf

just my .02$

Comment

I have never heard of a limp wrist creating a light strike.

It might cause a stovepipe but that does not sound like his problem.

Comment

Sounds like it needs a deep cleaning. Totally tear it down. Be sure to pull out the firing pin and clean the channel out.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm hoping its user error or just a matter of it needing additional break in time. I gave to a friend of mine that's very experienced with pistols and he's going to put it through its paces this weekend. It fte's on my first range visit were probably my fault but short or light strikes have me concerned.

When I get it back Monday ill brake it down all the way and give a thorough cleaning.

I'm a member of the temple gun club and shoot at the club range just outside of town.

Comment

Another consideration is maybe the previous owner attempted to make his own "YouTube" trigger job and screwed something up.

Comment

Yeah Wyatt I've considered something like that also. I bought it off texasguntrader and the guy seemed nice enough but you never know.

Comment

If you know someone with one that hasn't been fiddled with, take a look for shortened springs. I would bet money it's a spring problem.

No reason for issues and most pistols now don't need a "break in"; they just shoot.

Comment

Go on to the XD forum site go to the XDS 45 Topics. I'm sure you will find your answer there, many have had the same problem. It all came down to holding the gun correctly, very small gun with lots of punch. Get an extension so your hand will fit better on it. Limp wristing will cause the problems you stated. I think once you correct your hold the gun will work great. Just make sure you lock your wrist when firing.

Comment

Working...
                              X