Duck hunting on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m looking for a place to go duck hunting on public land in Texas and I wanted to know if anyone had some good suggestions?

Check the TPWD website and local body of water governing agencies. Each has its own restrictions. Good Luck! Coach

Comment

Lots of places along the coast, not sure what you're location is.

Comment

Originally posted by hxc016 View Post
        I’m looking for a place to go duck hunting on public land in Texas and I wanted to know if anyone had some good suggestions?
        Texas is pretty broad search area. I'd start with the texas annual public hunt permit book. Also look at corps of engineers lakes in your area. Often you can find information by searching "lake name hunting". Dont know much about coastal hunting.

Comment

Your not gonna get a lot of responses on this, most duck hunters are tight lipped and are not even gonna name the lake they hunt. I hunt private land, public land is a mess and way to much drama.

Comment

I do not know anything about coastal hunting. I have never been

Comment

I’d like to hunt down on the coast or east Texas

Comment

You'll have better luck asking for naked pictures of public land hunter's wives than you would their spots. Lots of good info thru TPWD. Good luck to you though.

....and if you do ask and receive any naked pics of public land hunter's wives, please PM them to me. I'm making a scrapbook.

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

East Tx you can hunt most lakes. As mentioned, check with each lake as to rules and hunt boundaries. Fork, Toledo, Rayburn, Lake O Pines, Palestine, Navarro Mills, Richland Chambers can all be really good.

Comment

This.

public land is a mess and way to much drama.
                      Weekends are crowded with people who'll shoot at ducks a mile away and a mile high. Many have NO IDEA of the effective range of a shotgun.

If you're able to hunt mid-week, you might have more success.

Comment

Not too difficult to have success on public land...just find public land close to you. Then do the opposite of what every other hunter is doing. If they use large spreads and mojos, throw out a small spread. If they are all calling their arses off, don’t call. If they are all on big water, find small water, if they are all hunting on Saturday, hunt during the week. If they are all hunting out of big blinds, hunt in natural cover. You get the idea.

I killed a lot of birds on public land in my college years, but I had time, scouted a lot, and observed a lot of other hunters.

Comment

I hunted star lake for 13 or 14 years and limited out most times. Limits of 24 to 30 many days. Tick Magnet and I have hunted out there from 1996 to around 2010 and then it just got to be too hard of work to justify the means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Black Ice; 11-26-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I’d suggest booking a guided trip somewhere on the coast or in your area.

Comment

Get a boat if your gonna get into it, like meangreen04 said about getting a guide all the guys on the coast are mainly hunting public spots I have always seen it as a first come first serve deal but I have definitely heard some horror stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X