Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Archer23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can, primarily Granger
Default Official 2008 public land thread

Ok guys, Lets hear it. What did you see? Was anyone lucky enough to tag an animal?
Archer23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
bowhuntntxn
Pope & Young

I know someone who gave a buck a ride in his truck out of a unit in LBJ!! That is all.
bowhuntntxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Archer23
Ten Point

A buck this early!!! Thats awesome!
Old 09-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
cmelara
Six Point

Hunt In: eastland/red river

lets see a pic of the LBJ buck!! i saw a guy on horsback that rode by around 8am......guess i shouldve scouted horse activity too?!
cmelara is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Archer23
Ten Point

How about you guys at Somerville? Paintman? How did you do?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
2fs2ns
Four Point

Hunt In: West of 35

No go for me at LBJ, I could only hunt till 9am, so just a quickie. Had another hunter climb up a ladder stand about 40yds from me just before sunrise, oh well, that's public hunting Glad to hear someone got one! Any word on how good a buck it was?
2fs2ns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
bwhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere.
Default sommerville buck

To anyone that hunted sommerville this weekend or in the future... I hunted there on the Nails unit.. off of the south end on FM180 and the other fm road( i think its fm 1687..not sure) I was hunting about 3/8 to 1/2 mile in the place and stuck an eight point sat morning at about 8:05. was 18 yards, quartering away. The shot seemed perfect, behind the shoulder, possibly a little high after rethinking. dad and I searched for almost 3 hours and NO blood at all. I ran into another hunter who was about 80 yards hunting from me, said about 8:10 am or so he saw this deer run past him..saw what he thought was the broadhead end of the shaft sticking out. The deer was 8pts for sure, maybe 1 or 2 more and 15" +or- wide. he also had very dark horns..you won't mistake this. What a BUMMER for opening weekend. Anyway, if anyone hears or sees of this deer..Dead or Alive..I would greatly apreciate to hear of it.. From everything I observed and with no blood, I may have hit a little high or a tad foward..he may be ok and live...Also, the entry was on his right side, my arrow was a gold tip with 2 yellow and 1 white 4" vanes and a 100 grain thunderhead..if any of this will help. Thanks a million to anyone who may see or find this deer and let me know about it.
bwhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
kornsqueezer
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I didn't see a deer at all. Got a shot off at a hog that would have gone 150-175 . Clean miss.
kornsqueezer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
Archer23
Ten Point

well ill be hunting in nails tomarrow night and yugua creek area tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Ill keep my eyes peeled for buzzerds and let you know.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Need4speed1
Ten Point

Default Somerville WMA

How were the crowds in Somerville. My 12 yr old is looking to kill his first bow deer, but wanted the crowd to calm down.
Need4speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

I had 11 deer come in, total. 2 bucks, 6 & an 8 point w/ smaller racks so I passed. The other 9 of course does. Tried to take some meat home but when I drew back on my Whisker Biscuit it make a Pfft! sound that alerted her so I got stuck mid-draw for about 3 minutes (not fun) then she circles around and walks right up in front of me at about 15'ft until she looks me dead in the eye and realizes she's in a world of hurt in a second. 'corse she busted though. All in all though it was an exciting day as I saw alot of deer and got to at least sit in my blind finally. Anybody know how to silence a Whisker Biscuit rest? I was thinking about trying some Graphite?
SanAngeloBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #12
Barn
Ten Point

Default 5 or 6

I saw a 5 or 6 point 15 yards on the other side of some brush at 8:10 AM Saturday morning and a yote an hour and a half earlier. And a skunk Sat evening was all I saw while on stand. I didn't hear of anyone actually taking any animals but heard someone was 'paradeing' a buck on LBJ but I didn't see him.
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

nothing for me at LBJ...
Blood Trail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
SPANISH GRINGO
Six Point

Hunt In: Public land

I helped a fellow hunter drag one out of sommerville. Nice big fat doe.
SPANISH GRINGO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
mallardman02
Four Point

didnt see anything out at somerville. Way too many hunters.
mallardman02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missiouri, Colorado, Texas

Well I will be haveing my opening day on Wed evening had to work over the weekend and mon, tues.
quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
Pat Miller
Eight Point

Hunted Monday and Tuesday morning at LBJ and saw 14 deer total all does.
It was a beautiful time!
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #18
bulletpusher
Ten Point

Nothing at the Vine, and not real happy to see the illegal baiters back to their cheating.
bulletpusher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #19
Live2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coalgate Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Miller View Post
Hunted Monday and Tuesday morning at LBJ and saw 14 deer total all does.
It was a beautiful time!
Pat what kind of stand are you using at LBJ, when I have time to run up there I always take my popup...

I found a bunch of nice places hunting birds up there, we never failed to jump a buck or two...
Live2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #20
Pat Miller
Eight Point

I use a multitude of stands from a Lone Wolf lock on w/ climbing sticks to a Tree Saddle w/ climbing sticks.
Since I've been hunting LBJ for so many years I know from which area I'm going to hunt which type of stand I'm going to use.
Some places I might not get but 6-8 feet off the ground and some I"ve been as high as 30'.....it's tough on an old fat man when you climb that high!
Only twice have I ever used a climber out there. I just don't find them practical for most of the areas and I've never had any luck with pop ups.
I can see where they'd be useful if you could leave them out and brush them in for a longer period of time but they'd have to be well hidden or you're leaving them out for the thieves and lowlifes.
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Yep, Had my pop-up stolen last year by some jerk. My lease this year is along the border of Unit 4 at Twin Buttes and we've had a gate rammed, a feeder vandalized, a feeder stolen, and 2 blinds stolen, ....all in about a weeks time

I figured being on private property that I wouldn't have to deal with that crud anymore, boy were we wrong!
SanAngeloBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #22
Cal
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Somerville WMA, Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhunter View Post
To anyone that hunted sommerville this weekend or in the future... I hunted there on the Nails unit.. off of the south end on FM180 and the other fm road( i think its fm 1687..not sure) I was hunting about 3/8 to 1/2 mile in the place and stuck an eight point sat morning at about 8:05. was 18 yards, quartering away. The shot seemed perfect, behind the shoulder, possibly a little high after rethinking. dad and I searched for almost 3 hours and NO blood at all. I ran into another hunter who was about 80 yards hunting from me, said about 8:10 am or so he saw this deer run past him..saw what he thought was the broadhead end of the shaft sticking out. The deer was 8pts for sure, maybe 1 or 2 more and 15" +or- wide. he also had very dark horns..you won't mistake this. What a BUMMER for opening weekend. Anyway, if anyone hears or sees of this deer..Dead or Alive..I would greatly apreciate to hear of it.. From everything I observed and with no blood, I may have hit a little high or a tad foward..he may be ok and live...Also, the entry was on his right side, my arrow was a gold tip with 2 yellow and 1 white 4" vanes and a 100 grain thunderhead..if any of this will help. Thanks a million to anyone who may see or find this deer and let me know about it.
Bummer- by your description sounds like the same one I hit last year close to the same spot. He bled a bunch and I trailed him for 5-6 hrs across adjoining private land with my dad and a couple game wardens into a creek bottom where we lost his trail at dark. I recovered my arrow about 300 yds away, all bent and bloody. They must have nine lives out there. I feel your pain!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #23
topduarte
Pope & Young

Was hunting at Monday evening at Georgetown, no luck.

Going again Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning!!
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 AM   #24
quickstrike
Ten Point

Buck Fever in everyone huh!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #25
Barn
Ten Point

Default Fever

Yep, I've definately got a case of deer fever, and I'm heading back to LBJ this afternoon to seek the killing cure. I'll again be at Black Creek if anyone wants to come visit for a spell.
Good luck to all yall this week-end.
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
quickstrike
Ten Point

Yea I will be out there sunday morning for a morning hunt and hopefully saturday evening to spend the night.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #27
Archer23
Ten Point

Just got back from two days at Somerville. Saw nine deer, no shots. Last noght at around 6 I had a huge hog (im guessing 200lbs) run through the creek bed to within twenty yards. I shot him at about ten and watched him along with my arrow dissapear into the river bottom. I didn't find any blood or my arrow last night and went out again and found nothing. Them things are tough to take a "RAGE IN THE CAGE" like that. Anyways, I was hunting nails about 3/4 back if anyone comes across a rotting hog with a Full Metal Jacket and two blade Rage in him. If the arrow or the broadhead isn't bad I'd like it back. Thanks. Also, another guy shot a doe this mourning and couldn't find it. It must be something is the creek that keeps theses critters alive. I will be back in two weeks or so. Hopefully there will be acorns on the ground and it will be cooler. Good luck guys.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
aggie2000tx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Stonewall County

I shot the buck that Glenn is taking about last Saturday morning. Nothing special just a 6 point.
aggie2000tx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #29
Need4speed1
Ten Point

Default Somerville Nice buck

I was just wondering if anyone arrowed a nice buck at Somerville area near Yegua. Could have been a car victim, not sure. I was out of film in my camera, but he was a nice 9 or 10 w/16" spread. Brows were almost 4. G2-9", G3-8", G4-5". Other side was same. Could have had G4 on other side but it was cover by the carcass. 23+ main beams and I guess 20+ in mass. I would put it high 129-135. Dark horns. Buzzards were still working him over so was recent. Sure hope he spread his genes around. I guess the antler restriction is starting to work.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #30
Archer23
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed1 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone arrowed a nice buck at Somerville area near Yegua. Could have been a car victim, not sure. I was out of film in my camera, but he was a nice 9 or 10 w/16" spread. Brows were almost 4. G2-9", G3-8", G4-5". Other side was same. Could have had G4 on other side but it was cover by the carcass. 23+ main beams and I guess 20+ in mass. I would put it high 129-135. Dark horns. Buzzards were still working him over so was recent. Sure hope he spread his genes around. I guess the antler restriction is starting to work.
That sucks. I hunted that area last week and didn't see it. I hope his dad and brothers are still around that area. I will be up there tomarrow. Were abouts near Yugua? Ill take a pic of it.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #31
Need4speed1
Ten Point

Default Dead buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod888 View Post
That sucks. I hunted that area last week and didn't see it. I hope his dad and brothers are still around that area. I will be up there tomarrow. Were abouts near Yugua? Ill take a pic of it.
*** I was scouting on Sept. 21 I talked to the game warden Sophie and she said a squirrel hunter had seen a 10 pt on the SE corner near the Yegua where it crosses 132/124. **** If you are coming from 60 onto 132 at the corner store, when you pass 133 look for it about 75 yds or so on your left(East side of road). If you pass the curve you have gone too far. If you have time and can stand the stinch, verify my size estimate. Also, I could not tell if it had a G4 on the rhs of the body(it was covered with skin and guts). I did not realize that Somerville deer had this potential. This would be a real trophy on public land for $48.00. This is our first year on public land and my 12 yr olds 1st bow season. I have been debating how I would tell him"...that nice buck is just out of your range, I guess I 'll have to shoot it." It would be such a thrill to watch him take a deer this year.*** I just got these pics in from where I hunt in Ill.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #32
longhornmatt
Four Point

Yeah Somerville can grow them! I have seen some nice 130-140 class deer come off private land not too far ~20 miles
longhornmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #33
Live2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coalgate Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Miller View Post
I use a multitude of stands from a Lone Wolf lock on w/ climbing sticks to a Tree Saddle w/ climbing sticks.
Since I've been hunting LBJ for so many years I know from which area I'm going to hunt which type of stand I'm going to use.
Some places I might not get but 6-8 feet off the ground and some I"ve been as high as 30'.....it's tough on an old fat man when you climb that high!
Only twice have I ever used a climber out there. I just don't find them practical for most of the areas and I've never had any luck with pop ups.
I can see where they'd be useful if you could leave them out and brush them in for a longer period of time but they'd have to be well hidden or you're leaving them out for the thieves and lowlifes.
Thanks Pat, the Lone Wolf lock on and sticks is what I use when people invite me out for a day or two on their property. It sets up fast and is a nice stand. I may go set a tree out at LBJ this year. Did a ton of bird hunting there a few years ago and found some nice creek banks...
Live2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #34
Archer23
Ten Point

Quote:
*** I was scouting on Sept. 21 I talked to the game warden Sophie and she said a squirrel hunter had seen a 10 pt on the SE corner near the Yegua where it crosses 132/124. **** If you are coming from 60 onto 132 at the corner store, when you pass 133 look for it about 75 yds or so on your left(East side of road). If you pass the curve you have gone too far. If you have time and can stand the stinch, verify my size estimate. Also, I could not tell if it had a G4 on the rhs of the body(it was covered with skin and guts). I did not realize that Somerville deer had this potential. This would be a real trophy on public land for $48.00. This is our first year on public land and my 12 yr olds 1st bow season. I have been debating how I would tell him"...that nice buck is just out of your range, I guess I 'll have to shoot it." It would be such a thrill to watch him take a deer this year.*** I just got these pics in from where I hunt in Ill.

Thats a heck of a deer from Illinois!! Gotta love the mid-west. Im leaven for missouri in 38 days. Im leaven this afternoon for Somerville so Ill take a look at that dead buck.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #35
agdave112
Four Point

Hunt In: Crockett county, Sam houston national forest

seen lots of squirrels but no deer yet on the sam
agdave112 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #36
BUCKADO
Four Point

Only "Bucks" I saw were the two I had left in my wallet after buying gas, food, and ice...LOL Heck even free hunting land is getting expensive...! Did see a couple of deer though in the unit next to the tree that faces West along side the creek that runs North and South up by the old pond. Man he was a monster had a horn on one side and the other, saw him running as fast as he could out on some private land. Was going to try a Roger Staubach shot (hail merry) but thought I should let it pass and grow at least one more horn. Could be a shooter next season if he makes it through the gun season.

Will be out there this coming weekend hunting in the unit at Tadra point, hope to see some one out there.
BUCKADO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #37
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hey buckado maybe I will see you out there.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #38
BUCKADO
Four Point

I will be in a pick up quickstrike around Cottonwood lake camping, ohh yeah it's a red Toyota Tacoma.
BUCKADO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #39
Longstick
Ten Point

Will be looking for you 2 Im in a dark blue '96 GMB with a camper shell looks like Davey Crocketts out for now for me.
Longstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #40
quickstrike
Ten Point

Well I am in a lifte green chevy pickup shortbed I might go tommorow I have to talk to my wife.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #41
squirt
Nubbin' Buck

Crod888, Give me a hollar, I went down to granger. MAAAAAAN! It's that time of year. Me and a buddy went out. We saw alot of activity, unfortunately, we whacked none. I am going to go bait up Thursday and friday. I will be in a pop-up blind staurday morning around 5:30 waiting til it's release time. I will post pics.
squirt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #42
Archer23
Ten Point

Was at Somerville yesterday and didn't see a thing. Prolly not gonna go out till Holloween in hopes that cooler weather will usher thru and nock down some of the foilage out there. Wow is it thick. I was out at #5
Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #43
Need4speed1
Ten Point

Default Dead buck

Crod

Did you see that dead buck. I was out at 3 and Nails on Thursday and they had mowed the ditches and the buck was gone. Saw 2 does and lots of tracks.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #44
Archer23
Ten Point

Quote:
Crod

Did you see that dead buck. I was out at 3 and Nails on Thursday and they had mowed the ditches and the buck was gone. Saw 2 does and lots of tracks.
I didn't make it out that way, spent most of the day checking new areas around 5. Hadn't hunted there yet so i thought I'd spend time looking. I talked to a Conservation Officer who stopped me and he said that there is alot more deer down on Nails this year then in the past and that Yugua creek has been slow as far as deer sightings? Idk what to do? The trials of hunting public land. How come you did'nt shoot one of the does?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #45
Need4speed1
Ten Point

Default Swa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod888 View Post
I didn't make it out that way, spent most of the day checking new areas around 5. Hadn't hunted there yet so i thought I'd spend time looking. I talked to a Conservation Officer who stopped me and he said that there is alot more deer down on Nails this year then in the past and that Yugua creek has been slow as far as deer sightings? Idk what to do? The trials of hunting public land. How come you did'nt shoot one of the does?
Just out of range. My 12 yr old is trying to get his 1st bow kill and I wanted to give him every opportunity. I am going ti Ill. in 4 weeks and will have my chance then. But it would be nice to have some fresh meat in the freezer. Like to nail a hog also. Any recommendations there?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #46
Archer23
Ten Point

Quote:
Just out of range. My 12 yr old is trying to get his 1st bow kill and I wanted to give him every opportunity. I am going ti Ill. in 4 weeks and will have my chance then. But it would be nice to have some fresh meat in the freezer. Like to nail a hog also. Any recommendations there?
Im leaving for Missouri in 30 days for about 2 weeks, I can't wait. good luck to you in Illinois. I hit a big hog two weeks ago at nails and couldnt find him. Im betting anywhere near a creek or creek bed will be your best bet. I shot him as I was sittin right next to a dry creekbed.