No announcement yet.

Roofs. Metal vs Composite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely go metal -- makes my job a lot easier.....

I show up, see the exclusion on your policy that you didn't bother to read, listen to you whine and ***** for a few minutes, and don't even have to bother measuring the dang roof.

Get back in my truck and get paid -- money for nothing and chicks for free.

You get to deal with your roof looking like a Titleist golf ball until you decide to sell it.

If you really want a lifetime roof, go with concrete tile or even better, a synthetic slate roof (made of recycled tires).

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
      Why does the metal roof cost more than shingles? Decent shingles cost 29.95 for 32.8 sq. feet at Home Depot. R panel, galvalume tin at Metal Mart is 1.99 a running ft. or 21.89 for 33 sq. feet. Shingles have to have complete decking and tin only has to have lathing. Tin should be much quicker to install as well. So why does the tin roof cost more?
      Because it's a one time sale... you're not likely to be a repeat customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

I show up, see the exclusion on your policy that you didn't bother to read, listen to you whine and ***** for a few minutes, and don't even have to bother measuring the dang roof.

You get to deal with your roof looking like a Titleist golf ball until you decide to sell it.

If you really want a lifetime roof, go with concrete tile or even better, a synthetic slate roof (made of recycled tires).
        Thank you, Sir

And you're still measuring ? We have begun using Ridge Top. Also, this new drone service is crazy.
        Last edited by jer_james; 03-23-2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
          Thank you, Sir

And you're still measuring ? We have begun using Ridge Top. Also, this new drone service is crazy.
          Yep.

I did 1400 claims last year.

1400 X 27 bucks is about 38K.

Comment

Every insurance company is different. Our offers a significant discount for a class 4 Impact resistant roof. It can be Composite shingle or metal or slate etc. if the roof meets UL impact resistant classification it gets the discount. I personally would go with an impact resistant shingle. You get the same discount as metal on your insurance and the cosmetic damage is not noticeable (for the most part) on a comp roof. The way a cosmetic exclusion works is, you can have cosmetic coverage for the roof but no discount or sign the cosmetic exclusion waiver and receive the discount for having an impact resistant roof. The way insurance companies look at it is the roof is doing the job it was designed to do by keeping the elements out even if it has some cosmetic damage therefore the roof does not necessarily need to be replaced. Have a happy Friday!

Comment

Yep.

I did 1400 claims last year.

1400 X 27 bucks is about 38K.
              1400 claims oowee buddy

Comment

Concrete tile would be my choice. There were many metal roofs that looked like they had been beat with a hammer in the Lake Travis area a couple years ago and the tile roofs held up amazingly well, a lot of the flashing and vents needed to be replaced but not the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
                  We opted for composite over metal after much debate. Just talk to your insurance company, our TBH word. My insurance said, cosmetic damage was not covered. I have seen metal houses with hailstone damage and I didnt like the way it looked. If it doesnt leak, it isnt getting fixed. Price difference was too great to overcome any advantage. Apparently I am the only one.
                  No your not. I agree. I was told same thing by my insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Head Hunter View Post
                    Every insurance company is different. Our offers a significant discount for a class 4 Impact resistant roof. It can be Composite shingle or metal or slate etc. if the roof meets UL impact resistant classification it gets the discount. I personally would go with an impact resistant shingle. You get the same discount as metal on your insurance and the cosmetic damage is not noticeable (for the most part) on a comp roof. The way a cosmetic exclusion works is, you can have cosmetic coverage for the roof but no discount or sign the cosmetic exclusion waiver and receive the discount for having an impact resistant roof. The way insurance companies look at it is the roof is doing the job it was designed to do by keeping the elements out even if it has some cosmetic damage therefore the roof does not necessarily need to be replaced. Have a happy Friday!
                    This “choice” is being rapidly taken away in regards to the cosmetic damage exclusion.

Allstate’s new House and Home policies don’t even offer it.

USAA does still allow you to choose, and we have the endorsement on our metal roof on our one house with a metal roof

Comment

This “choice” is being rapidly taken away in regards to the cosmetic damage exclusion.

Allstate’s new House and Home policies don’t even offer it.

USAA does still allow you to choose, and we have the endorsement on our metal roof on our one house with a metal roof
                      Wow! I did not realize they were not even giving an option. So are companies still giving an impact resistant discount and not giving the client an option have cosmetic coverage? Or are they not even honoring the discount for a class 4 roof? For years we paid for cosmetic coverage with no waiver and applied the discount. I had a couple of clients that had metal covered arena, several barns and a large house all with metal roofs. We replace them 3 times from 2011 to 2015 to the tune of 350k a pop. None of the roofs leaked.

Comment

Hard to make money like that

There’s still a discount last time I checked with big blue

That’s how Usaa sells it as, you will be giving up the discount if you don’t accept the exclusion. For whatever it is, I’m not interested in the discount.

I see the industry sliding towards the cosmetic exclusion for metal roofs and acv incomplete roofs. Oh...and bigger deductibles

Comment

^^^ we've run into that where people have a 15+ year old roof and didn't know their rcv policy became acv at that age. Quite a surprise to people when they find that out and they are stuck footing a huge bill for something they thought was covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            Is R Panel that much cheaper than standing seam?

I was quoted $135/square for 30 year composite and $450/square for standing seam metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            135 a square are those guys even still in business lol

Comment

Working...
                            X