Crossbow bolt recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossbow bolt recommendation?

I am going to have to borrow a buddy's crossbow for opening weekend and will buy my own bolts/broadheads. However, I don't know what to get.

Can anyone help me out with a really good quality set of bolts? Does the type of crossbow matter like weight/length do for bows? Thanks in advance!

I am using 18 inch ten point bolts w/ a 125 grain magnus snuffer broadhead... and a luminock

Comment

You must match the bolts with the xbow too... some have flat "nock" ends and some have a shallow groove... Some xbow's will not accept plastic/lighted nocks, and some will... I'd suggest you may want to run up to Westside Archery and let those guys match your bullets to your gun... so to speak so you will get proper performance. As far as broadheads, if you use fixed heads for normal bow hunting, those should be fine for your xbow hunt as well.

Comment

Black eagle executioners seem to be best bang for your buck. I've paired them with slick trick magnums and so far couldn't be more pleased with my xbow.

Comment

There are 4 different lengths of "professional" not toys, crossbow arrows. 18", 20", 22", 26.25". Make sure to get the right ones.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
            There are 4 different lengths of "professional" not toys, crossbow arrows. 18", 20", 22", 26.25". Make sure to get the right ones.
            ^^^^^^^ Very true, my bad for forgetting this

Comment

Gotta know the nock type and what size bolt the crossbow takes. I think mine states to use 20" only.

Comment

Like stated above, you need to get the correct ones for the crossbow. The nock supposedly matters. I just use what the manual said. As for broadheads, I have just used my normal bow broadheads (fixed and mechanical) and had good success.

Comment

Good info y'all. Looks like I'll be visiting West Houston Archery this week. Thanks!

Comment

i use 22" bolt with 150 grain broadheads- my point of impact drops off from the reticle of the scope beginning at 50 yards, where i begin holdover. you must know the length, stiffness, weight and knock type. not difficult but it is necessary to get dialed in correctly.

Comment

Modern crossbows do NOT shoot bolts they are arrows. Call this guys he will shoot you straight on what you need for the bow you are using.
                      Wyvern Creations are experts in crossbows & accessories with top brands and outstanding service. We'll help you find the best crossbow for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                        Modern crossbows do NOT shoot bolts they are arrows. Call this guys he will shoot you straight on what you need for the bow you are using.
                        https://www.wyverncreations.com/inde...f085l3bd9276d3
                        Dave is a good guy!

Spynal Tapps are one of the best arrows.
                        I buy from Jerry at South shore archery.
                        He builds the best arrows for crossbows.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                          Dave is a good guy!

Spynal Tapps are one of the best arrows.
                          I buy from Jerry at South shore archery.
                          He builds the best arrows for crossbows.

http://www.southshorearcherysupply.com/index.php
                          Yes Jerry is great too, either will get you going.

Comment

Modern crossbows do NOT shoot bolts they are arrows.
                            Well heck, I've been mistakenly "correcting" my buddy all this time. Did not know this. Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

https://www.wyverncreations.com/inde...f085l3bd9276d3
                              I'm a beginning crossbow shooter and read that the reason why the term "bolt" is still in use today is to prevent confusing new crossbow users thinking that arrows meant for vertical bows can also be used in crossbows. The thought is that people will think vertical bows when they ask for arrows, and crossbows when they ask for bolts.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X