SETx White Oak acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SETx White Oak acorns

Snowflake Killas thread on the ATC got me to thinking.

On our lease in Newton, I cannot find any acorns in the area I hunt.

Is it the same way with other leases in SETx?

I replied to your comment on that thread but I'll leave the same comment here. I am seeing the same thing on the property where I live in Polk County. I have big White Oaks, Red Oaks, Water Oaks, and Pin Oaks on my place and I don't see any of them producing. I wish the giant Hickory by my house would stop producing. Those dang hickory nuts are constantly hitting the roof lol. I will be up in Houston County where I hunt tomorrow and will check out the acorn crop up there.

Comment

Thanx. Looking forward to the update.

Comment

Still a little early for acorns in Newton County.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
          Still a little early for acorns in Newton County.
          Red oaks no, we had them falling in Aug last year. White Oaks, maybe. I have seen them this early on occasions. Your right, usually Oct, Nov.

I cant see any in the trees and usually you can see them now. Red Oaks or White Oaks, nothing.

Comment

I was up at our place in Houston County Saturday and I didn't see any acorns. I have mature bucks hitting the corn feeder pretty steady right now.

Comment

Same at our place in Newton not much acorns. Pin oaks seem to be dropping due to the heat and dryness.

Comment

Food plot hunting should be great this year.

I was looking in the trees with my binos for at least one acorn! Couldn't find any.

Comment

Acorns are thick and heavy on my place North of Columbus.

Comment

White oaks are on a 3 year cycle I believe. We had a bumper crop last year and they are a lot thinner this year even with the good rains we had through almost the whole summer. Not saying they wont produce on the between years but it will be significantly less.

Comment

If you are seeing a limited amount of acorns this year, then I would bet you had a frost during the time the oak trees were flowering in the spring. This is the number one contributing factor regarding acorn trees producing. I do agree that drought/above wetter than normal conditions also contribute, but mostly toward the following years production.

The above article is written from a Carolina/Georgia view, but the science is the same for our area.

Rwc

Comment

same thing at our place in newton county, white oaks that were loaded last year dont have a single acorn this year.

Comment

I had a few water oaks putting on acorns a month ago but most are about the same size as they were and looking to be drying out already. I'm thinking this dry hot spell stunted their growth possibly. My trees very seldom produce much acorns like live oaks do. Some trees will have a decent amount but overall I usually have very little production.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutamer View Post
                            White oaks are on a 3 year cycle I believe. We had a bumper crop last year and they are a lot thinner this year even with the good rains we had through almost the whole summer. Not saying they wont produce on the between years but it will be significantly less.
                            I know Red Oaks produce every other year, but never seen White Oaks do that. They usually produce every year. For years I hunted the same White Oak Killing Tree and it always produced. I have one in my yard, every year it has acorns. There may be a strain of WO that produce every other year, but I personally have never seen that.

Im thinking we had a deluge about the time they were flowering and washed all their pollen off the flowers. I don't remember a late frost. Every thing bloomed early this year. My Persimmons are the same way, very little fruit on them.
                            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 09-19-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Same in SW Louisiana, no acorns this year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X