Broad head tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broad head tuning

I've read a couple of the other threads but haven't found what I'm looking for yet so I'll throw my info out there.

Shooting a Halon 32
    draw weight 65#
    draw length 31"
    arrow length 31"
    Arrows FMJ 300's
    Arrow weight is 540g with a 100g head and a Nocternal knock. I'm not crazy about that much weight but that is where the arrows ended up

I've got my field tips hitting where I want them but my broadheads are hitting consistently left. At 20 yards they hit 1" left. At 50 yards they hit about 4".

I know normally I would just need to move my rest to the right but since the FP and BH are hitting different, I figured I would go to the experts!
    Last edited by Fling em; 08-06-2018, 08:00 PM.

Not an expert, but I would move my rest a tiny bit to the right just like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      Not an expert, but I would move my rest a tiny bit to the right just like you said.
      Yep. Move your rest a tiny bit

Comment

bareshaft tune from 20 yards. There is good info on here and probably some good youtube videos on the subject as well.

Comment

Thanks fellas. I'll try moving the rest just a tad first and see what happens. If that don't fix it, i'll try the bare shaft tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Fling em View Post
            Thanks fellas. I'll try moving the rest just a tad first and see what happens. If that don't fix it, i'll try the bare shaft tuning.
            the bare shaft tuning really points out the error so I think it could be the quickest solution.

Comment

If your Broadheads are hitting left of field point you need to move your rest to the left toward the Broadheads. Just move it a little bit. Since you are only off 1” at 20 yards you should be able to move the rest slightly, assuming your rest is set to center shot and not already out left. If the rest is already too far out you will need to swap top hats.
              Bare shaft tuning will tell you what is going on. If you are using a low profile broadhead your bow might not be tuned just because broadhead and field point hit the same place. Heads like Ramcats are very forgiving and may hit with field points even if the tune is off.

Comment

Go buy you some 100 grain Ramcats and see how they fly.

Spine might be on the edge of being underspined with that length arrow and such.

Comment

I made some adjustments yesterday and I'm going to shoot some broadheads this evening. Currently shooting slick trick 100g mags.
                  If they are still not right, I'll get me some Ramcats.

Thanks fellas!

Comment

Here is something you may not have looked at. Maybe it is a little stiff and you need to add point weight or increase draw weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Easton put out a great tuning PDF years back, do a google search on that and it takes you step by step to properly tune it.

Comment

Comment

It is a top hat issue. Set the rest at 13\16 and adjust using the top hats.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                            It is a top hat issue. Set the rest at 13\16 and adjust using the top hats.
                            Am I the only one that has no clue what this ^^^ means?

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                              Am I the only one that has no clue what this ^^^ means?

The newer split-limb bows from Mathews have spacers called “Top Hats” used to adjust the spacing of the cam between the limbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X