Google Earth Pro Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth Pro Tip

Google earth is really useful but this one tip has been most helpful.
    If you are looking at imagery on Google Earth Pro, do not forget to
    check out the historical imagery for the location.

I had seen a deer in the same area multiple times, haven't been able
    to put a stalk on him, it is extremely difficult where I hunt at Lake Meredith.
    So I was planning a hunt this afternoon and was trying to figure out a route
    that he might be taking. Here is what I am studying on the Google Earth,
    some of it was blurred to protect my hunting area.

If you look at the image there isn't a whole lot of good information to make a
    decision where to sit and wait for this deer. However, if you click the historical
    imagery and browse through older images you might find an image that
    identifies the trails much better:

The image from 2013 gives me much more useful information. That deer
    was generally following those trails to and from that corner. Coming from
    that way in the morning, and headed towards it in the evening within the last
    month.

If you follow the trails there is actually a water tank on the ranch land that it
    appears the deer might be headed to and from.

I am going to setup this afternoon around that corner based on the wind and
    see what happens.

Good thinking. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

I use google earth too. I upload the Sam Houston NF hunting areas into it so that I can figure out where I can hunt and what is off limits.

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
        I use google earth too. I upload the Sam Houston NF hunting areas into it so that I can figure out where I can hunt and what is off limits.
        Where did you get the SHNF boundary layer file to upload into google earth?

Comment

Here is the USDA Forest Service website, they're available for download.
          Try Sam Houston, Compartments file download.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/f...cid=FSE_003768

Comment

One more fun fact about google earth pro.

You can get gis shape files and owner information from your county and import them into pro. Then you have property lines and ownership of everyone in the county.

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
              Google earth is really useful but this one tip has been most helpful.
              If you are looking at imagery on Google Earth Pro, do not forget to
              check out the historical imagery for the location.

I had seen a deer in the same area multiple times, haven't been able
              to put a stalk on him, it is extremely difficult where I hunt at Lake Meredith.
              So I was planning a hunt this afternoon and was trying to figure out a route
              that he might be taking. Here is what I am studying on the Google Earth,
              some of it was blurred to protect my hunting area.

If you look at the image there isn't a whole lot of good information to make a
              decision where to sit and wait for this deer. However, if you click the historical
              imagery and browse through older images you might find an image that
              identifies the trails much better:

The image from 2013 gives me much more useful information. That deer
              was generally following those trails to and from that corner. Coming from
              that way in the morning, and headed towards it in the evening within the last
              month.

If you follow the trails there is actually a water tank on the ranch land that it
              appears the deer might be headed to and from.

I am going to setup this afternoon around that corner based on the wind and
              see what happens.
              Good info. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Had no idea this was a thing. I just started using google earth in conjunction with on x maps to get a better idea about the properties I hunt. This will be some useful info. Good luck on the hunt. Hopefully he will slip up and provide a shot opportunity.

Comment

Well, those trails were really hot. I had deer coming in from both directions. There were two yearling whitetail does that came in and fed around me. Six mule does came in at different times. Tracks everywhere. There wasn't a great spot to setup, I need to go in midday and build a small temporary blind of some sort. Want to have a sit there early morning.

Comment

Working...
                  X