Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo
Question Is it more worth it to buy or lease

In the wake of the lease cost thread. Do yall think its more worth it to buy or lease. I see advantages to both. What does the Green Screen say?
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Buy if you can

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

No question you buy if you have that kinda coin.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Low Fence
Pope & Young

For hunting alone, lease for me. I own and hunt it... but it gets too predictable quick. For the price of 1-2 payments I can hunt somewhere new... and not pay taxes on it.

Best thing I did was get out of Texas for bang for your buck. And most are equal driving for me for comparable deer.
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #5
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
For hunting alone, lease for me. I own and hunt it... but it gets too predictable quick. For the price of 1-2 payments I can hunt somewhere new... and not pay taxes on it.

Best thing I did was get out of Texas for bang for your buck. And most are equal driving for me for comparable deer.
Yeah this is my concern. I would like to buy, but it would small, 40acs or less and that would make it difficult.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Iíve done both and personally Iíd rather lease. I like to hunt different places, just gotta find the right deal. If I could afford a 1200 acre ranch for 1-3 million then Iíd be definitely doing that but, donít see that as an option anytime soon.
Donít have to mess with fences or repairs is nice.
boh347 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Low Fence
Pope & Young

With 40 acres (me personally) would be bored with it quick. It either has or doesn’t have a “shooter” on it from year to year as well as neighbors pressure would dictate how good or bad my place would hunt. And for $80k-$160k in payments I can hunt my @$$ off in premier places if I do my homework... and again that’s not including improving property or taxes. Buying land is a great investment... as long as it’s not just for hunting
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Just remember that being able to afford to buy a ranch is different than being able to afford owning a ranch. You can easily spend more annually on maintenance/improvements than you would for a nice lease. At least it’s yours so that money is well spent. However, quite a few people end up selling their weekend place because the cost of upkeep becomes too much of a burden, or they don’t have the time to do all the work themselves.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #9
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Well this is what Im looking at. Buying acerage out of state bordering public hunting.

Or, a place on the lake with public hunting very close. Price for each is about the same. Both will be where I retire.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
Payne346
Six Point

No way most of the group could purchase a place. I would want a minimum of 1k acres and we all know what that cost in South/West Texas. I grew up with close to 300acres available to hunt and it got small real quick. But if money wasn't the issue...of course, I'd rather buy than lease for sure.
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne346 View Post
No way most of the group could purchase a place. I would want a minimum of 1k acres and we all know what that cost in South/West Texas. I grew up with close to 300acres available to hunt and it got small real quick. But if money wasn't the issue...of course, I'd rather buy than lease for sure.
Well, money is an issue. Im looking at 40-60k. Out of state property is WAAYYY cheaper than Tx property.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
Thumper
Pope & Young

Its different.

Buy land as an investment, you'll make money in the long run and get to hunt. But for the larger ranches it takes big coins.

Leasing is less expensive but it still takes a good bit of coins to play, then factor in all the drama and constant changes makes one wonder if its really worth the effort.

That's why hunting out of state the best option. jmo

Last edited by Thumper; 10-14-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #13
KyleW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gordon TX

We would buy property if we could. Not an option right now financially, so either we lease or we don't hunt. Lease it is!
KyleW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne346 View Post
Familiar looking dog
Old 10-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #15
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post
Iíve done both and personally Iíd rather lease. I like to hunt different places, just gotta find the right deal. If I could afford a 1200 acre ranch for 1-3 million then Iíd be definitely doing that but, donít see that as an option anytime soon.
Donít have to mess with fences or repairs is nice.
Good info everybody. I appreciate it. Keep them coming. Thanx
Old 10-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #16
Payne346
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Well, money is an issue. Im looking at 40-60k. Out of state property is WAAYYY cheaper than Tx property.
Yes sir, agreed. Had a former co-worker who bought almost 3x the amount of land in Oklahoma compared to prices he found in Texas. He researched a lot and ended up doing that because of price and taxes going forward.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #17
be12hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montell, TX

It all depends on what you want to get out of it.
If your purpose is solely productive hunting then leasing is the way to go. If you want to have the ownership feeling and be able to do other things, then owning may be better.
We own 200 acres outside uvalde. We could’ve spent MUCH less money and gotten to kill MUCH bigger trophies. Our logic is that my dad and me built it from the ground up ourselves. Hopefully one day if the good Lord permits I will pass it on to my son and that trend will continue.
Like Fred Bear said “a hunt based only on trophies falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.”
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #18
Payne346
Six Point

Quote:
Familiar looking dog
For sure...she is my buddy.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #19
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by be12hunt View Post
It all depends on what you want to get out of it.
If your purpose is solely productive hunting then leasing is the way to go. If you want to have the ownership feeling and be able to do other things, then owning may be better.
We own 200 acres outside uvalde. We couldíve spent MUCH less money and gotten to kill MUCH bigger trophies. Our logic is that my dad and me built it from the ground up ourselves. Hopefully one day if the good Lord permits I will pass it on to my son and that trend will continue.
Like Fred Bear said ďa hunt based only on trophies falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.Ē
Very well put.

Fred was the man.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #20
tiberiuswade
Four Point

I have found it cheaper for me to hunt out state [new Mexico Arkansas and Colorado], than it is for me to lease in Texas. Plus the added adventure of change of scenery

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
tiberiuswade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I own good hunting land, but hunt other bigger ranch leases with friends. However, owning land that you can be the “boss” and improve as you desire is a great feeling.
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #22
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Lease
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #23
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

Quote:
Well this is what Im looking at. Buying acerage out of state bordering public hunting.

Or, a place on the lake with public hunting very close. Price for each is about the same. Both will be where I retire.
Ive looked VERY casually at out of state bordering public. Some great deals to be had outside of Texasí insane land prices.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #24
Passafist
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Looking for a place myself. I would like to make the decisions and not be at the whim of a landowner or rude and inconsiderate leasors
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #25
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

The better question IMO is what's better.. Leasing or going on some sort of day hunts.

Owning is obviously best but not attainable by most and as mentioned upkeep is more than most realize.

If one has a lease close enough to home to hunt more than 6-8 times per year then a lease may be best. But those who spend 2k+ on a lease and then who knows how much on feeders, corn, protein, stands, work days, a place to stay, water etc...etc..etc.. It would be better to go on paid hunts.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #26
wingnut
Six Point

I have done both but I got really tired of hunting on leases. I hunted on some really good leases and met some really good people doing it. I have had great success hunting on leases as well. But the last lease did me in. I own several pieces of land that I run cows and bale hay on where I live. Along with those properties I get to deer hunt on them as well. Where I live the price per acre is to expensive to just buy to hunt. So I decided to head North into Oklahoma where the land was about 1/3 of the cost, bow season was longer, (no offense to gun hunters) gun season is extremely short, taxes are cheap and I'll stop there with the reasons. There is a lot of fun getting your own place setup the way you want to do it. Land is a great investment!
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #27
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

All depends on want YOU want. We bought & I could hunt anywhere in Tx for what it cost me for land & upkeep. We don't have a big place,but I enjoy not dealing with leasing issues & hunter drama. To me watching my place come along & the satisfaction of hunting my place is WAY better than any lease.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #28
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Leasing for me for now. Access to a LOT more acreage than I could afford to buy.

I am saving/looking to buy but it will be more for an investment and getaway place.

I would go crazy having to hunt the same 50 acres forever.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #29
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

I know, before I get crucified, but here are some points I have experienced that will affect what you decide perhaps:

*BE prepared for the "mentioned" taxes, keeping it Ag Qualified (you DON'T want to pay the extra taxes if you can't qualify.) Find out WHAT it takes to remain or be AG Exempt!!!!!!
*BE certain you know the area and the bordering land around you?
*RESEARCH past sales history or "lack there of" AND potential issues regarding any easements, right of way, etc.

There are, as mentioned, so may variables that demand MORE $$ to maintain IF you have never owned land. If you don't have any experience with your own "dirt," then get ready to purchase equipment (Tractor, Shredder, Fence Maintenance, etc., etc.,)

I had to sell my small ranch near Granbury 5 years past due to a nasty divorce and now live on an acre BUT I miss those extra acres every single day. BUT, I'm on a lease with my son and others for MUCH less than I was responsible for every year $$ wise.

If you have the $$ AND time to purchase AND are prepared to have it all on you, then GO for it! The LAST thing I would say is don't purchase anything you can't have free and clear by the time you retire...."Kiss of Death," IMO of course.

Live the DREAM, but continue to get the FACTS and not rely on opinions, me included, as stated I miss the space!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #30
MagicBlade
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Just remember that being able to afford to buy a ranch is different than being able to afford owning a ranch. You can easily spend more annually on maintenance/improvements than you would for a nice lease. At least itís yours so that money is well spent. However, quite a few people end up selling their weekend place because the cost of upkeep becomes too much of a burden, or they donít have the time to do all the work themselves.
I would only lease.

When I could afford to buy, I couldn't afford the time to do the maintenance.

Now that I can afford the time, I can't afford to pay for property.
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #31
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX

Like the others said. I couldn’t just hunt a little parcel of land, and that’s all I could afford. I’d rather pay to have access to thousands of acres.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #32
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

All good points, Thanx, keep em coming
Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #33
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
I have done both but I got really tired of hunting on leases. I hunted on some really good leases and met some really good people doing it. I have had great success hunting on leases as well. But the last lease did me in. I own several pieces of land that I run cows and bale hay on where I live. Along with those properties I get to deer hunt on them as well. Where I live the price per acre is to expensive to just buy to hunt. So I decided to head North into Oklahoma where the land was about 1/3 of the cost, bow season was longer, (no offense to gun hunters) gun season is extremely short, taxes are cheap and I'll stop there with the reasons. There is a lot of fun getting your own place setup the way you want to do it. Land is a great investment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
All depends on want YOU want. We bought & I could hunt anywhere in Tx for what it cost me for land & upkeep. We don't have a big place,but I enjoy not dealing with leasing issues & hunter drama. To me watching my place come along & the satisfaction of hunting my place is WAY better than any lease.
Well said gents! With your budget I would cross TX off the list and be looking North of the Red River! As many have stated, after owning I could never go back to leasing!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #34
jnd1959
Four Point

If you are looking at out of state land boardering on public that may be the ticket. What is the access to that public land? How far away is it and how often can you get there? How much pressure after the first two weeks does the public land get?

Several years ago I gave up leasing in Texas and decided I would do diy public in Colorado and Wyoming. I plan to add New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa and nebraska. I'm back hunting in Texas but on public land. For the cost of a lease I can hunt a week in the west. With leasemates you typically can't still hunt much, you can't run n gun. It's put up your feeder and see what comes in. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just looking for a different experience.
jnd1959 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:31 PM   #35
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

All very good points
Old 10-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #36
Buckrider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fairfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post
Buy if you can

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

You can lease it for 1000 years for what you can buy it for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:41 PM   #37
Txjourneyman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardeman, Jones, and Dallas Counties

When you buy you'll never find a note on the gate saying you have 15 days to remove you property unless you don't pay your taxes.
Txjourneyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #38
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txjourneyman View Post
When you buy you'll never find a note on the gate saying you have 15 days to remove you property unless you don't pay your taxes.
When you lease you never get a letter in the mail saying property taxes went up 35%... again
Old 10-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #39
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

Itís not an apples to apples comparison. Even as relatively expensive leases are- it doesnít hold a candle to the expenses of purchasing and maintaining land.

The experiences are very different between a quality large acre lease and small tract hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
basschump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #40
Txjourneyman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardeman, Jones, and Dallas Counties

Quote:
When you lease you never get a letter in the mail saying property taxes went up 35%... again
LOL! True story! But when your landowner just lets you hunt to pay his property taxes and HE gets that letter your lease fees just went up!
Txjourneyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #41
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

i think you have advantages to both.

I think a lease with like minded folks that has a good lease would be ideal.

I hunt public and it can be boring at times. You finish hunting and you're back at the house.

Miss being on a lease and the comroderiy
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM   #42
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

I don’t think anybody’s money has ever appreciated from spending it on a lease; the same is not true for purchasing land.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #43
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
How about letters kicking you off a lease?
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #44
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I doubt I will ever be able to buy a place big enough to enjoy hunting all the time. So lease is the only option.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #45
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

700 acs with a house on it. If I can get that for about $241/mo......sign me up!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #46
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

I bought 640 acres a year and a half ago. I lease 400 acres adjoining it. On a yearly basis, the leased land cost me 6% of the cost of the owned land so if money is your only determining factor then leasing is far and away the best route to go.

With that said, I would never want to go back to leasing after owning. I grew tired of the lease game with all the personalities, egos, and drama that come along with leasing. Me and two other TBH'ers stuck together and jumped around to three different leases over the years and hated moving around, setting everything back up, trying to learn new property, etc.

What I like about owning is the pride that comes along with improving the place and your deer herd. Its also great to have your buddies out and just do whatever you want and not worry about stepping on someone's toes. I'm excited to see how the ranch evolves over the years and I hope that its passed on to my kids and their kids and everyone can enjoy it for years to come.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #47
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

That's right throw'n darts and your dad gets to hunt for Free!
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #48
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
That's right throw'n darts and your dad gets to hunt for Free!
Go shoot a big one. You might have to swim to the blind though.
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #49
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Appreciate all the comments. I can see the good and bad of owning vs leasing.

Well, I have a decision to make. Thanx, please continue with the comments.

Throwing Darts, I appreciate you breaking it down to a percentage, that helps.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #50
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I have been hunting our land under 130 acres for 10-15 years and love it. Can improve it, do what I want, and know it will always be there.

Picked up 1000-2000 acres bordering it to hog hunt with thermal and I have all I would ever need. I have killed almost a 140 and also a low 150's. Small acreage it can be done.

Leasing is throwing away money, and you get nothing in return of value besides the meat. The meat for me is a bonus, its the process for me.

I kill 200+ hogs a year, and 2 deer every year on our land myself.

I won't ever lease unless its a long term lease and my buddies are on it also. Family, friends, the process, and close to home mean more to me
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top