Barndo build vlog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo build vlog

asically, Phase 0 of this build is the prep work necessary to actually do the build. That includes site selection, clearing, and lot's of planning.

The end of Phase 0, marks the beginning of Phase 1, which is dirt work and slab construction. I am my own General Contractor on this project, so I learn as I go. Since I am a certified BOE/CAM at Raytheon, this is actually pretty easy, and I save 10-15% on the cost of hiring a GC.

I am doing videos, instead of photos for two reasons:

1. I suck at still photography.

2. I have stories to tell about the family farm.

I am learning about videos, namely get a camera mount that does not squeak

Basically, Phase 0 of this build is the prep work necessary to actually do the build. That includes site selection, clearing, and lot's of planning.The end ...

Phase 1 complete - slab poured and ready to run power to the site.

The only hiccup on the pour was the Concrete company shorted us on the first load by 3-4 yards, and they were an hour and a half late. The extra load for the missing concrete made us finish even later. The crew did not leave until 11:30 p.m.

End of Phase 1 - Completion of slab and a drive in the Tractor

Comment

Skip to the 1:08 mark, if you don't want to see guys pouring concrete. Link below.

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for letting us tag along.

Comment

Not bad

Comment

Floor plan

Here is a rough diagram of the floor plan. I used an on-line tool to draw it. Once I figured it out, it was pretty easy to use. If you use it to draw a floor plan, PM me, and can talk you through some of gotchas.

Homestyler is a top-notch online home design platform that provides online home design tool and large amount of interior decoration 3D rendering, design projects and DIY home design video tutorials.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by planomustang View Post
              Here is a rough diagram of the floor plan. I used an on-line tool to draw it. Once I figured it out, it was pretty easy to use. If you use it to draw a floor plan, PM me, and can talk you through some of gotchas.

https://www.homestyler.com/
              If you want suggestions. I would put the fridge on the outside wall and open the kitchen into the living room.
              Maybe a bar between the living room and kitchen. Something to think about. Looks good so far!

Comment

I would leave the opening from kitchen to living room also. Make the second b r the master since the bath room Is next to second br. Put a shower in the wash room next to washer and dryer.

Comment

IN...love these builds. Good luck and congrats on property.

Comment

The whole kitchen layout is up for grabs. I have two sets of kitchen cabinets that I will re-use, but I don't know how they fit in that space. I actually put a second drain in the kitchen, so I move the sink to a different location.

I am pretty sure I have settled on a contractor to construct the metal building. I am supposed to talk to him this afternoon.

Comment

Insulation

The barndo build is on hold, due to the fact the contractor that will do the metal building erection is back logged. Pretty common, if you follow the Barndo threads.

Here is a video on the reclaimed PolyIsocarbonate rigid foam insulation I am going to use. Less than half price of new. Here is a picture of the 8' foot pallets that I got at the warehouse in Garland.

Here is the video.

Here is the website for the company I bought this from.
                      We supply all types of Once-Used and Factory Seconds ISO, XPS and EPS foam boards in truckload to pallet size orders.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Finally . . .

Finally, after a seven month delay, I am getting the metal building erected.

I apologize in advanced for the long post, but I think it illustrates some of the risk you take when you are your own GC, but don't have contacts in the trades.

Here is a short video that shows the ongoing construction.
                        Five days work, spread over a couple of weeks.About four days of labor left, to complete the metal building, but the crew will no be back for a couple of weeks.

Now for the story

Last November, I asked the crew that built my slab if they would recommend anyone to build the building. The supervisor and the foreman said the same name, at the same time. The builder was highly recommended and his prices were reasonable.

I contacted the builder, soon after. He had two jobs ahead of me, but thought he could get started in Feb. 2018. I sent him the floor plan and the design that was sketched out by the metal supplier. A couple of weeks later, he sent me a new set of plans and an estimate. The price was very good, and we made a deal.

February came and went, and I had not heard a word from the builder. In early March I called him. He was in therapy, recovering from back surgery, due to a fall at a construction site. He said he was now behind, and he was hoping to get to my job in a few weeks. A few weeks go by, but he never contacted me.

I called again, and the injury/surgery was more severe than he thought. He had not been able to do any work, and he lost his crew. He said my job was next, once he got a crew put together. Weeks went by, and no word. I called again, and he just was not able to get a crew, and he was doing side jobs as supervisor for other crews.

In early July, I met a couple of guys looking for work, and they had some experience erecting metal buildings. Called the builder, again, and we decided to meet at my building site. I offered up the two guys as a potential work crew. The builder knew one of them, and he was not keen on the idea. Back to ground zero.

In late July, I contacted another builder that is a friend of the family and highly respected. He sent me a bid for material and labor, on the metal building construction. Remember, the concrete slab was already built. His bid was about $15K, more than I reasonably expected. I made a cordial challenge to the bid, and he said "good bye." I don't think he wanted the small job. Things were looking bleak.

There is a metal construction company in Decatur, that I drive by, every time I go to the ranch. I thought about contacting them. In late August, I drove by the company at lunch time, and I decided to turn around and talk to them. I found two guys eating lunch, in their main shop. I asked them if the company would be interested in my small job. They sent me to talk to the manager, in an office a couple of hundred yards behind the shop.

I go to the office, but the door is locked, and nobody answers. I guess the manager was at lunch. At the end of the building, I see a guy sitting in his truck, eating lunch. I told him that I was looking for a crew to erect a metal building, and I asked him if this company would be interested in my small job. He said "maybe, but why don't you just ask the crew that was erecting a metal building at the back of the company's propert?" Hmmm? If that crew is good enough to be hired by a metal construction company, then it was worth a shot.

I drive back to the build site, and talk to Julio, who appeared to be in charge. He was a little taken aback, when asked if he was interested in my job. We talk for a few minutes, then he agrees to meet me a couple days later, at my build site.

Two days later, he shows up on time, and I give him tour of the slab and a copy of the design documents. We talk for about a half hour, and he is making some good observations. We get finished, and he agrees to write a bid. The only hang up was that he runs this crew doing side jobs, when his boss does not have work for them, but that is pretty often. Before he left, I told him, "Look, you don't know me, and I don't know you. Would you mind if I hired another guy to supervise?" He said that was okay, because he was trying to start his own building business, and he might learn something from my supervisor. He promised a bid in a few days.

I knew my original contractor was looking for work, so I called to see if he was interested in supervising Julio and his crew. He was on board, and he gave me a great rental price on his thirty-six foot SkyTrak.

Julio and his main helper showed up ten days ago, on Saturday, and my supervisor was there. It was a rocky start. A brand new oxygen bottle that was empty. A Miller Bobcat with a dying battery. My supervisor got a bottle of oxygen from his house, and the dying battery came back to life after using the welder. By the end of the day, all the vertical support posts were installed, and the three main trusses (12" I-beam) were built. I was pleased, and my supervisor was pretty impressed. At the end of the second day, all five trusses were built and installed. Getting the supervisor was a good thing, since he has forty years experience. He caught some mistakes, and he taught Julio and his worker some pretty good tricks of the trade. All was going well.

This past weekend, Julio brought his entire four-man crew. In three days, the frame is 90% complete. Most of the windows are framed/installed. The big shop door is framed. All is going well.

The best thing is introducing my supervisor to Julio. My supervisor likes Julio and company, and has asked them to bid one of his jobs. I think Julio may have found the mentor he needs, too kick-start his own business. More to come, now that we are actually working.

None of this would probably have happened, if I had not stopped by that building company at lunch time

Comment

Cool story. Good luck with the build and congrats on finally getting it started.

Comment

Sometimes things just work out. Glad it's starting to go your way.

Comment

Frame is complete

The crew started hanging sheet metal on Tuesday, but they got rained out around 10:00 this morning. The building should be complete by Saturday.

Finally, some real progress, after a 7 month delay.On Sept 26, I posted on the TBH forums an explanation for the delayHere is a link to it: https://discussi...

Comment

Working...
                              X