Stump removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
    Without starting a new thread I have a quick question. I have 2 pine trees in my front yard that I absolutely despise. It's not so much the trees themselves, it's the roots. I have a small front yard & 3/4 of it is full of roots just above the ground. It sucks to mow & you can't walk through the yard without twisting an ankle. I can cut down the trees, but how would I get rid of all those roots?
    Stump grinder will remove roots also.

Comment

In my experience, a stump grinder on a 24" stump is a man eater. Cut the stump as closes to ground as possible, leave it for a year.then pile charcoal on one side and burn it. It.wont "burn" but will smolder with just an occasional wisp of smoke. Done it many times.

Comment

I take my chainsaw and cut slots 18" straight down into the stump. Fill with diesel and build a fire. I use the resulting cavity to burn a few smaller fires in until the stump is gone enough.

Comment

Originally posted by stingerslinger View Post
          Stump grinder will remove roots also.
          I thought this may be the case, so I guess I'd have to grind up my while yard then re-sod.

Comment

I had an old stump in my front yard that I fought with for a year or so. I finally just hired a guy to grind it. $80 and 20 minutes later, the stump was gone.

Comment

I am just curious as to why you don't want to burn it. You can drink beer while you are doing it.

Comment

Drill holes into stump and pour a bag of fertilizer on top and cover with dirt. Will take about a year to disappear.

If the stump is close to a structure with plumbing be mindful of underground pipes. You try and pull that sucker out more than likely you will break pipes too.

Comment

if it is dead/dry put a small pile of charcoal on top of it, light it. It will sit there and smolder for 2-3 weeks, you will see smoke coming out the ground a few feet away as the roots burn. If it rains, you will probably have to restart

It is not quick, but it works and does not cost anything

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakk View Post
                    Now I'm the proud new owner of a Stihl MS 271 with the stamp of approval from my girlfriend. I might be able to get the girlfriends stamp of approval on buying a Hi-lift also that I've always wanted for my truck.
                    Sounds like you got more problems than a stump in your yard! LOL

Comment

Stump Grinder rental about $100. I would go this route or burn it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                        I am just curious as to why you don't want to burn it. You can drink beer while you are doing it.
                        Depending on where he lives exactly, burning it may not be a real option. City limits or rules may prohibit such fun activities.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                          Depending on where he lives exactly, burning it may not be a real option. City limits or rules may prohibit such fun activities.
                          This is what I was thinking. Not sure where he is, but I know I can't burn mine like many suggested due to location.

Comment

Burning isnt allowed where I live, but like I said in previous post, just a little wisp of smoke every once in a while is all you see, and hard to see from afar.

Comment

It's easy with any 1/2 ton vehicle. No problem.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrLfHdgF8zU"]Tree trunk removal with an SUV - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

You can get it done for less than $100 and drink a beer and watch. 281.222.5421. Ed, tell him Clinton gave you his number.

Comment

Working...
                                X