ISO smothered beef or venison recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO smothered beef or venison recipe

I really like it with the rice and gravy down in Louisiana, but have yet been able to get close. Anyone with a recipe or how to?

I don't have access to it at work but my wife has a great recipe for this. I think she cooks the steaks and veggies with red wine and then makes the gravy or something. I'll try to post it up tonight

Comment

like these ? that's how my venison and roast beef look finished

my gravy is usually dark and thin
      Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-25-2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

yes. that's what I am talking about. do you cook it like your roast recipe?

Comment

I use magnalite or cast iron pot ; stuff roast with garlic, season with S&P

if you dont have a venison roast, get a chuck roast which will have lots of marbelling, fat, and full of flavor once cooked down

add 1/4 cup of EVOO or canola oil to pot and adjust stovetop to medium/high heat

when oil gets HOT, add roast and sear / brown all sides for 4-5 minutes each side

after browning roast then add diced onions to pot with 1/2 cup of water and stir around to carmelize onions. 5-10 minutes later add minced garlic with another 1/2 cup of water.

After another 5 minutes add 1/2 cup of Dales seasoning and add enough water to barely cover top of roast.

When water begins to boil, adjust heat to low/med and cover.... let cook for 3 hours. Turn roast over and cook another 3 hours on low/med covered.

The longer you cook the better as meat will shred and fall apart easily. Taste gravy and add more S&P if needed.

same thing can be done in a crock pot after browning meat ; make sure you cook it slow and low for 6+ hrs

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-26-2016, 03:09 PM.

Comment

When we do smothered steak we use a round steak and have it 4x4 in pieces roughly then season and tenderize it pretty good. then we put some EVOO in the pan and brown it a bit. take it out and set it aside. throw some onion and garlic in the pan and cook till it gets translucent. then just make a standard gravy with some more oil and flour but make it a more runny than usual. Throw the steaks back in there then let it sit about an hour covered on low checking/stirring to make sure it doesn't burn the gravy, add more milk/water if it gets too thick.

Comment

Gonna have to try this one out

Comment

Cajun Blake has it right....I brown mine really well and put the roast in a slow cooker, then deglaze the pot with onions and roi-tel tomatoes, thrown all of that on top of the roast and add a can of French onion soup. 5 hours on high and it's falling apart....don't forget the salt, pepper and Tony's!

I'll make a large pot of this and eat it as rice and gravy, then sandwiches, then fajitas...love it!

Comment

Originally posted by LaHunter View Post
                  ..don't forget the salt, pepper and Tony's!

I'm allergic to stuff in the green can

the yellow can is where it's at , millions of crawfish agree

Comment

Boiled up some bug's with that stuff Sunday !! ^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      I'm allergic to stuff in the green can

the yellow can is where it's at , millions of crawfish agree

I have to agree that the yellow can is much better than the green can!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                      X