Shots at running game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shots at running game

This may get nasty but hopefully we can be calm adults and discuss this.

Have I taken a shot at a running deer? Yep and it was bad. Gut shot a doe several yrs ago. Off she went 80 mph. And she was not stopping. She was about 80 yards out and at full throttle I placed the crosshairs on neck.

She goes down with a shot to her hip. Down? yeah but not pretty at all. In that situation would I do it again? Yes. If I had a wounded animal and it was clear to me it was running wounded.

Would I shoot at a deer or like animal that was running full throttle only as a first shot? Nope

Hogs? Hmmmmmmm I may be crucified but I honestley have no problems shooting at running hogs. That's me though, may not be your thing.

I have twice. I put enough lead out there that i finally hit her...like you, not pretty.
    Second time was a buck that was walking briskly almost right under me. Put an arrow right between his shoulder blades. Missed his spine but arrow killed him in less than 50 yds.
    Probably will not do either again

Comment

I've killed plenty of hogs running and hope to kill a lot more. Used to kill deer running pretty often using dogs in south Alabama, usually with buckshot. Have also killed a couple of running deer with follow up shots with a rifle.

Comment

Game ? No. Hogs and coyotes ? I reckon so....

Comment

No on deer yeah on everything else.
          Shot at a bunch of pigs aim center mass.

Comment

I would deer with buck shot.

Comment

I won't take an initial shoot at one walking, much less running (with either bow or rifle). I don't want to wound an animal. That does not mean I won't wound one, but it is much less likely.

Comment

Not with deer. Hogs I shoot til the magazine is empty or I can't see them anymore

Comment

No thanks on deer.... never.

Pigs and yotes? I have and spine/***-shot a pig when I was really young. Went looking for him when my Dad showed up after hearing the shot. Summidge jumped my Dad and I out of a big tall bottom of weeds dragging his hind legs and luckily my Dad was fast enough to hit him between the eyes with a 264 running towards him at point blank range. I was 40 yards up the sendero gone like a flash.. Dad was like....**** boy did you have to wound the biggest summidge in the woods?.

At my age now, I probably wouldn't do it to anything but a yote.

Comment

with a bow on unwounded game? NO

I have shot a running deer and a buffalo with a stickbow after initial hit standing. Killed both of em.

With a rifle? All day long. I've killed dozens of deer that were running , anywhere from 10 yards to 200 yards. It really isn't that hard for an experienced rifleman.

Comment

I have made a few shots on moving targets. I used to shoot a lot of running rabbits with my 9422, as a kid. Actually shot some flying quail with the same rifle, I got my but chewed for that one.

My best shot to this day, was at a coyote, that was trotting a somewhere around 800 yards, with one of my 7 mm Rem Mags. The first shot, went right under it's belly, about mid way down it's body. The second shot, was a perfect shoulder shot, dropped instantly.

A few years later, I shot a axis buck, that was running up the side of a hill, it was quartering away from me. I was above the buck looking down at it, as it was quartering up the other hill. I was trying to figure out where to aim and get a shot off, before it hit the brush. I put the crosshairs out in front and up a little. I was really not sure where to aim, that was a odd shot. I wound up hitting it high in the rib cage, got the top of the left lung and middle of the right lung. The buck made it about 70 yards, stopped and laid down, he was having a lot of trouble breathing, he was done, when I found him, but I still finished him off with a 44 Mag. Revolver. I originally shot it with a T/C Contender pistol with a 14" 30-30 barrel and a Redfield 4X scope.

I also shot a white tail buck with the T/C Contender, that was trotting, prefect heart shot. The deer acted like I did not hit him, but 20 yards after I shot, the deer tripped over a log, I knew then, he was hit. He made it about 100 yards, then dropped, slid down a hill, then fell off a cliff. Then wound up getting hung up on three oak trees growing out of the side of the cliff, mid way down the side of the cliff. It took a long time to find that deer, then took a long time to get it off of those oak trees. I had to climb down to the deer and push it off of the trees and let it drop to the ground below. By the time I drug that deer back to the truck, it was missing half of it's fur, it looked pretty bad. I was very surprised that deer ran very far at all. But it was chasing a doe, he had other things on his mind other than dying.

I made off of those shots, when I was in my early 20s, I have not shot at a running deer since, that I can remember. I think the only running animals I have shot at since, have been raccoons and coyotes. Those I don't hesitate to shoot at, when they are running.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                        with a bow on unwounded game? NO

I have shot a running deer and a buffalo with a stickbow after initial hit standing. Killed both of em.

With a rifle? All day long. I've killed dozens of deer that were running , anywhere from 10 yards to 200 yards. It really isn't that hard for an experienced rifleman.
                        I have been shooting firearms for many, many yrs. Do I consider myself expierenced? Yeah, but not enough to regularly shoot at running deer.

Not meant as a smart alec remark, I just do not have that coinfidence more so for a running deer.
                        Last edited by CrookedArrow; 12-24-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Killed an elk at a dead run at 300 yds. Probably wouldn’t take the shot again.

Comment

I have a Euro on my wall from a buck I shot at a dead run at 160 yards.

Comment

With a shotgun in range, yeah. A wounded animal with a rifle, yeah. Pig or non game animal, most definitely. Walking or barely jogging, yeah.
                              But I don’t have enough room to really get a shot at a running deer, nor do I get enough practice in my eyes. But I hate pigs, so they’re on blast 24-7.

Comment

Working...
                              X