Is a Compound really a Bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Compound really a Bow?

I know I'm sturring the hornets nest here and do not want to offend anyone, but I admit to having mixed emotions about this question. I don't doubt the difficulty in shooting a compound, but by definition, is it bow hunting? What do you guys think?

Just looking for friendly conversation on the subject.

Comment

if it sling a arrow its bow hunting lol

Comment

its like the difference between a 22 and a 25-06. both are still guns, however, one is much more powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck-N-Rut View Post
          its like the difference between a 22 and a 25-06. both are still guns, however, one is much more powerful.
          agreed...

just a more advanced stick and string...

Comment

This is all from dictionary.com so by definition a compound bow "would" be a bow

bow and arrow

noun
            a weapon consisting of arrows and the bow to shoot them

bow

3. to bend or curve downward;

Comment

my guess is that you hunt traditional... SO maybe by that definition there should be traditional bowhunting vs non-traditional, which might include an arrow and something that projects it toward a target... Personally, I call what I do archery, and I bowhunt - even though it is with a compound "thingy"...

Comment

Is Ed " too tall " Jones too tall?

Comment

Originally posted by jycavazos1 View Post
                  my guess is that you hunt traditional... SO maybe by that definition there should be traditional bowhunting vs non-traditional, which might include an arrow and something that projects it toward a target... Personally, I call what I do archery, and I bowhunt - even though it is with a compound "thingy"...
                  Sorry if I sounded like a jerk there, I should not have worded it that way. I just meant that by definition is it a bow? Personally I do think it is bowhunting, just a more advanced and effective method of it.

Comment

Yes, I think so.

Originally posted by Buck-N-Rut View Post
                    As a compound bow shooter I like this analogy. I started out as a stick bow shooter because there was only stick bows back in those days. First there was just the wood bows, then laminated with FG, etc., then composite limbs, then someone made the first 4 wheel compound bow. Back in those days I think they only had about 35% let off and were a little faster but not much. I will admit that IMO it does take more skill to be as accurate with a stick bow as shooting a compound bow. The changes in the compound bow over the years has made it possible for more people to want to get out in the field and bow hunt. I strive for more accuracy in everything I hunt with, if I can shoot a group of arrows the size of a tennis ball at 40 yd. then I want to be able to do that at 50 and 60 and on and on. Same with a rifle, I strive to group them tighter than before. Now if you were to say is bow hunting with a crossbow bow hunting........that might stir up some more mud. Just saying..

Comment

My wife has told me to get a compound because I don't bring enough meat home with my stick!

Comment

It use limbs and a string to propel an arrow, so I would say, it's a bow.

Comment

I say hunt with what makes you happy. I know I do, and I'd I don't bring enough meat home, that gives an excuse to go hunt some more!!

Comment

Is a recurve a bow. Long bows were the originals.

Comment

I have bowhunted over 30 years.I started off shooting a stick bow.Through the years I find less and less time for practice.I switched over to a compound and would never go back.If a person can't practice EVERY DAY with a stick bow,then they have no business shooting at an animal.A compound requires less practice.Heck,I have seen a lot of compound shooters that took up bowhunting in less than a week,and made perfect shoots on deer!Just my thoughts,just don't like seeing wounded animals due to poor shooters ability

Comment

Working...
                              X