Shots at running game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not.

I have heard quite a few stories of people shooting deer with an open sighted thurrty thurrty and kill em at amazing distances on a dead run by simply aiming at the nose.
    Last edited by sendit; 12-24-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I did one time in my life. Back when I got home from Vietnam I took a shot at a buck running full tilt at 100 yards.
      Knocked him down with the first shot breaking his front leg, and before he could get back up I put another shot into it's vitals. Bang, bang.
      Just never done that again, and never will.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
        I have been shooting firearms for many, many yrs. Do I consider myself expierenced? Yeah, but not enough to regularly shoot at running deer.

Not meant as a smart alec remark, I just do not have that coinfidence more so for a running deer.

There is a difference in “experienced” and “experienced in running shots”

Comment

I’m the guy that shoots 97 times and Kills 2 doves. I will empty a magazine on running hogs but won’t even try on any big animal. I might shoot at coons and coyotes running but not squirrels or rabbits. If I can eat it I respect it, lol . That don’t sound right lmao. Hogs are the devil.

Comment

I always thought it was funny that up north they have deer drives and shoot running deer, but think we are not sporting for shooting over a feeder.

Comment

I shot a buck in a light trot after a doe a couple of weeks ago. I wanted him to stop, but he just wouldn’t hold still and it was a deer the owner needed gone.

If you’re comfortable and can make a good shot, not a big deal. He was only 70 yards out.

Comment

Yes. I feel comfortable shooting at a running animal. I've never shot a running deer but I would. Just depends how bad I wanted it dead.

Comment

I've shot several running deer. Mostly a crap shoot but you get the hang of it after several misses. I always aimed at their nose if they were 100 yds away. Killed several like this, missed some but never gut shot one. 200 yds, you have to aim out in front of them a foot or so.

Comment

Shot a spike once on a dead run , had to shoot him twice ..

Comment

I've killed several running deer. Growing up, I shot countless running jackrabbits and coyotes. It's not that hard once you get over feeling the need to have a motionless target. Rifles shoot bullets really fast. You don't need to lead them like you would with a shotgun. Just put the crosshairs where you want the bullet to go, and keep following the animal through the shot (don't stop your swing when you pull the trigger).

Comment

I ran the telephone pasture on the Kennedy ranch and have seen many deer, nilgie, ect
                        Shot at in haste and 90% of the results were with negative results, wounded game , or ground shrinkage, , I don't I courage running shots on any game
                        Running shots = desperation IMO

Comment

Not worth the risk of wounding, imo.

Comment

I've shot many walking deer with a bow and never made a bad shot. Seems like they jump string less than when standing still.

Shot a running doe with a .270 at 300 yards in a 30 mph wind when I was younger. Only took the shot because it was the last day of the season and I had a tag to fill. Was not pretty but I recovered her easily. Wouldn't do it again.

Comment

It shot a buck on the run before lead like a bird went down right there. I won’t do that on deer anymore. Hogs another story.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                                I ran the telephone pasture on the Kennedy ranch and have seen many deer, nilgie, ect
                                Shot at in haste and 90% of the results were with negative results, wounded game , or ground shrinkage, , I don't I courage running shots on any game
                                Running shots = desperation IMO
                                Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner !

Comment

Working...
                                X