Traveling nurses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling nurses?

My fiance is currently in nursing school, and graduates with a bsn in May of next year. She was talking about potentially looking at doing a traveling nursing job for a couple years. With my job I can pretty much live wherever, and just fly back to my territory whenever required, so it seems like it could be a good way to see some country before settling down too much.
    Anyone either done this or had a family member that did? Good and bad? Sounds like pay can be quite a bit better then normal, plus good experience and they pay for housing and moving.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

When I lived in la I knew a couple girls that did it and they loved it. It depends who you work for and what contracts you get on the moving and housing stuff from what I remember but they made good money and lived at the beach so seemed like a good gig.

My buddies wife here in DFW did it for a couple years and it brought her to Texas from NE, she got out of the traveling side and loves it here so much now she just does contract work

Comment

Buy an RV and go for it... sounds like a blast!!

Comment

My wife just finished up at Texas Tech. She has talked about doing something similar but after she was offered up at Seton here in Austin she decided take the job and build some experience. We also have two kids which complicates things a bit. Good luck and congrats to your lady!

Comment

I never did it, but worked with a bunch of them way back in the day when I was an ER Nurse. Yes, you can make a bunch of money, but life on the road isn't for anyone. Additionally, most of the floor staff really have a problem with "Travelers". I think this is largely due to the fact that they do make more money than regular hospital staff, but they also don't have the same benefits package (if any), plus the transient nature of their work is also a factor. I tried to explain this to regular hospital staff, but was never able to get them to understand or accept this.

Several years ago, I knew a traveling nurse and her husband, who was a respiratory therapist. Both were determined to travel around the world at their own pace, and not spend a lot of money while doing it. They had an old panel van they converted to a living space, and would meet with a hospital administrator and work out a deal. In return for letting them park at the hospital at no charge, and giving them free bathroom privileges, and allowing them to run a single extension cord from their van to the hospital, they would work at the hospital for $X.00 and be available for call duty.

Most hospital administrators jumped at the deal, and my friends stayed at a place until they wanted to start traveling again, and off they would go. As you can imagine, they saved a ton of money, and they were going to build their dream home once they decided to finally settle down.

Qualified nurses are hard to find. Good, qualified nurses are even harder to find. I wish you and your fiancé good luck, much happiness, and a great life together.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

The ones I’ve met out here on the road are some of the happiest people you’ll meet, even before they get their financial house fully in order.

Most of them ‘get it’ and are willing to sacrifice now to live the life they want later.

Comment

That's kind of what we are thinking. Work hard and get some traveling in now, then we can settle down that much more comfortably down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                My fiance is currently in nursing school, and graduates with a bsn in May of next year. She was talking about potentially looking at doing a traveling nursing job for a couple years. With my job I can pretty much live wherever, and just fly back to my territory whenever required, so it seems like it could be a good way to see some country before settling down too much.
                Anyone either done this or had a family member that did? Good and bad? Sounds like pay can be quite a bit better then normal, plus good experience and they pay for housing and moving.

I'm actually considering it once my kiddos are out of school. That will be another 8 years however, I've yet to find a travel nursing agency that will touch someone with less than 2 years experience or more, depending on specialty. So she's gonna need to find a job and get some experience first.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                  I'm actually considering it once my kiddos are out of school. That will be another 8 years however, I've yet to find a travel nursing agency that will touch someone with less than 2 years experience or more, depending on specialty. So she's gonna need to find a job and get some experience first.
                  That's been the biggest question. I've of the nurses at the hospital she's doing labs at said she did it straight out of school, so will have to see how that works out as well.

Comment

I was a travel nurse recruiter for 4 years. I can tell you pretty much everything you need to know about travel nursing. Shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Also, check out a blog called BluePipes. Google bluepipes travel nursing. There is a ton of info in there that will help. I tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me since this is my first post.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                      Buy an RV and go for it... sounds like a blast!!
                      This.

Comment

I've known a number of girls who have done this and they all really enjoyed it. Most of them are still doing it years after starting!

Comment

She wanting to be a travel nurse that provides at home care or a travel nurse that is contracted by different hospitals on an as needed basis?

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                            She wanting to be a travel nurse that provides at home care or a travel nurse that is contracted by different hospitals on an as needed basis?
                            Contracted to hospitals. Sounds like you typically spend about 3 months before either extending or transferring... We both like to travel so it seems like it could be a decent chance to see some different areas a little more in depth then just short vacations, and for a little cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              I was a travel nurse recruiter for 4 years. I can tell you pretty much everything you need to know about travel nursing. Shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Also, check out a blog called BluePipes. Google bluepipes travel nursing. There is a ton of info in there that will help. I tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me since this is my first post.
                              Thanks for the tips. She is still a little over a year from graduating so she has some time before getting serious. Just trying to see some options now!

Comment

Working...
                              X